2018 1st round QB Class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 18, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Ranking the QBs so far

1) Lamaar Jackson - went 6-1 in 2018 as a rookie to get the ravens in the playoffs and currently 8-2 to lead his division. that's a 14-3 record in his 1st 17 games. he currently has almost a 4-1 TD to INT ration (19 TDs to 5 INTs) is over 65% completion %, and has 6 rushing TDs and 788 rushing yards. he's currently on pace to shatter vicks QB rushing record. Hard to argue with him not being #1

2) Josh Allen - yeah since it's a jet board, i'm gonna get shit for this but everyone knew allen was a 3 year project so we can wash his rookie season. He's come along much faster though. IN year 2 he's now 7-3 and on pace to lead the bills to the playoffs. He hasn't thrown an INT in his last 5 games which is the current longest streak in the NFL and during that span he has 8 TDs and 4 rushing TDs. He's got a winning record. his arm is coming along. he's not turning the ball over and his compl% is over 60 for the season.he also has 331 rushing yards and 7 rushing TDs on the year. The numbers arne't flashy but he's protecting the ball and getting the job done. his future is bright

3) Sam Darnold - The unluckiest of the bunch, darnold has missed 3 weeks in his rookie eyar with a foot injury and then 3 weeks this year with mono, not to mention he played 1 game with mono and has an injured left thumb and toe. he's been battered around largely in part to playing behing an awful o-line. His numbers aren't great but with injuries, lack of talent around him and a poor o-line they arne't going to be. But darnold has put the team on his back several games already and makes special plays. he's 3-4 this year and without the jets missing him for 3 games and going 0-3 with luke falk mostly (except 2 quarters of simian) we could be 5 or 6 wins and in the hunt if not for mono and a few missed kicks.

4) Baker Mayfield - after starting off hot as a rookie and finishing 2nd in OROTY voting behind barkley, baker has cooled off. Proven GM dorsey from KC who got fired took over the browns, drafted mayfield and surrounded him with talent. since a rookie the browns have a top 5 o-line. Now he has a stud RB in chubb for the run game and hunt to spell him. OBJ and landry at WR. on paper they are stacked and predicted to do very well. Instead they are a 4-6 mess of team. Baker isn't a leader there. he has regressed badly and cost them quite a few games. He's the weak link of a pretty stacked offense. he's actually played mostly well in the past 2 weeks not turnign it over while throwing for 2 TDs but in the 4 games prior to that all losses had 3 TDs to 6 INTs and 2 fumbles. including a brutal loss to SF where he only threw for 100 yards and under 40% completions. On the season as a whole he's under 60% completion and has more INTs then TDs getting way outplayed by josh allen who has much worse WRs too.

5) Josh Rosen - the QB many seen as a very safe bet with a low cieling has been anything but safe. He was the most "NFL ready" according to many experts and had almost 0 chance to bust. He jsut didn't have the upside of other QBs in the class so he was 4th to be drafted. Since then he started 13 games for arizona as a rookie. was benched in a couple of them has more TDs then INTs under a 55% completion % on his career, got traded to the dolphins, got to start 3 games and wen't 0-3 with 1 TD to 5 INTs then got benched for fitzpatrick. miami will be drafting a QB this year and it's likely rosen gets traded and winds up on his 3rd team in 3 years. his career has ended before it even started. and at this point he looks like he'll have to compete as a backup to see the field again.

twown and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't argue with those rankings. Probably a majority of people around the league would put Mayfield over Darnold, but given the amount of adversity Darnold's had to deal with and the fact that he's still pushing forward, I agree Darnold should be ranked higher. But I'm still afraid he's going to bust here. Having said all that, I think a good visual is this:

Jackson

Allen
    Darnold
    Mayfield

Rosen

3. GasedAndConfused

if you look at the overall i'm sure people would put baker over darnold but if you look at this season alone on paper stats wise darnold is better across the board. same amount of TDs but darnold missed 3 games. better TD to INT ration. better complaetion %, better Record, better QBR and he's doing it with less talent around him. baker is throwing to 2 pro bowl WRs and has the leading rusher in the NFL and a good o-line. darnold has none of that. then if we look at the eye test, darnold is making more plays and big throws by himself. both are making mistakes and have about an equal amount of bad but darnold has more good. That's why i had to give him the edge.

I think in 2 more years though darnold will top the list and the rest will stay the same but maybe that's the hopeful jet fan in me

dmw, Pepsiguy5 and azhar80 like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

Lol don't argue with me, I agree Darnold should be above Mayfield. I'm just saying what most people would probably say. But I'm not as optimistic about Darnold. Couple his own issues with the general dysfunction of the Jets, and I think it's more likely this doesn't end well than it does.

5. GasedAndConfused

lol i know mayfield is the hype boy round the NFL for some reason. hell he is more loved here then darnold by a few members. i had like 2-3 people harassing me all last year when baker when playing well. and now they are quiet because he's not

azhar80 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

Yeah your Mayfield takes are looking pretty good this year. Makes up for your Mac takes. ;)

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

lol IDK bless is looking legit. cashman was playing great until hurt. edoga has looked solid at RT for a rookie. foley and shepard are both beasting out right now and philllips as an UDFA is playing well. Adams is the best S in the NFL. Darnold looks every bit the future FQB. crowder was a great FA signing. hewiit has been a great depth ILB find. this is still a team mac built and thrashed with injuries and we've looked good the past 2 weeks. yeah he's had his misses like any GM but he's had a lot of good late round finds.

and yeah mayfield is looking how i expected him to look last year TBH. having film on a QB makes a big difference. defenses have him figured out. my take on allen is looking pretty legit too. after all the mayfield is so accurate and allen isn't, allen has a higher completion % then mayfield this year is and over 60% which he never was in college. which si why you have to watch the film and not rely on stats like a lot of people did here.

azhar80 likes this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

That Baker regression is kinda scary. He's just not seeing the field. And he can't get OBJ the ball...

These rankings are correct though.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I can't say I have watched Allen play this year. I know he has a great defense and just needs to manage the game but his stats surprise me. But, often stats are misleading when one is winning stats will look much better as the QB is generally throwing in much more favoreable situations.

For people not named Buffalo Pyscho, how does he look and react under pressure? Is he playing anywhere near as well as those stats?

Oh and thank you for the breakdown. I think the list and reasoning sounds very solid.

10. Jackson
    Darnold
    Allen
    Mayfield
    Rosen

Allen is a great QB & perhaps the best game manager but despite his ridiculous physical ability i still feel like Sam is more dynamic.

11. GasedAndConfused

he's a 1 read QB. always has been. doesn't mean he can't learn but in his college career and even his rookie season his 1st read was open so much it was easy. Teams are taking away the 1st read now that they have film and he's struggling to progress. he doesn't scan the field he bails out of the pocket to scramble drill or eats a sack. he's never had to deal with pressure and teams know this now. He may get better but what we are seeing now is exactly what I seen in film on him. he's got a good arm to make all the throws but a bad head on his shoulders that needs to learn the NFL isn't college. and i'm not sure if he has the personality to handle the adversity

12. GasedAndConfused

he looks pretty good. i've seen quite a bit of him. actually have him in fantasy football in 1 league and started him over cousins this week which proved to be a smart move. he's reading the field well. still has accuracy/mechanics issues form time to time but he doesn't panic or bail out early and is athletic enough to take off when needed sometimes a little too early. he hits some really nice throws at times. his arm is everything it was advertised to be. I can see him and darnold battling every year in the east. Allen has a bright future. he'll also be better when he has a better run game and WRs too.

Noam likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

sam is more dynamic for sure, but allen is getting better results which is why i put him up higher. I still believe darnold has the good to be the next rodgers, but allen has the good to be the next favre as well and is further along right now because he's protecting the ball better then darnold is.

dmw likes this.
  14. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Jackson
    Baker and Sam tied
    Allen
    Rosen

Just because the Bill's are winning games doesnt mean he's good. And Baker is better than the numbers indicate. I hate him, but he's had lots of dropped balls and deflections that ended up being interceptions.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm confused what these rankings are? Are they for team results? It is kind of ridiculous to rank them based on team success and situation. Jackson went to the best situation and is doing the best. Rosen went to the worst situation and is doing the worst. It is not rocket science. Jackson has still been really impressive though and deserves credit. I'd still rather have Sam than any other QB for the long haul, but Jackson has impressed me. I think Mayfield will do well too. Allen, not so much. Put him on the Jets or Browns and he would be a complete mess right now. Put Sam or Baker on the Bills and they are in the playoffs too. I don't think Jackson would have near the success he is having if he went to Cleveland or New York or even Buffalo. The Ravens and John Harbaugh have put together a great plan for him.

Mine:
    1. Darnold
    2. Mayfield
    3. Jackson
    4. Allen
    5. Unfortunately Rosen is likely done. I thought he had potential though.

16. GasedAndConfused

it depends. if we throw away stats and sucess just go by the eye test sam and allen would probably be tied but baker is way behind. forget the stats and wins, baker doesn't look like an NFL QB right now. he looks awful. he 1 reads and panics. he isn't reading defenses or leading an offense. he's trying to get movement by short quick passes and letting guys like ODB and landry get YAC. he isn't making plays and looks lost. Allen looks alot better then you give him credit for. just the fact he isn't turning it over is pretty huge considering sam and baker are struggling with turnovers. but he's actually leading and commanding the offense so is sam. baker isn't

17. HomeoftheJets

Have you watched Jackson play? I get he's in a good situation but he's no Goff riding the coattails of his coach and teammates. He's an incredible talent, far and away currently the best QB of this class. He wouldn't be an MVP candidate here, but he'd be better than Darnold.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

1- Lamaar Jackson

2- Everyone else

boozer32 and JetsNation06 like this.
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Regardless of won loss record I would still put Darnold ahead of Allen. But all are behind Jackson by quite a bit.

I like Lamar but I will be cautious about crowning him. He was god awful in the playoff game last year. Situation has a big role and he has to do it consistently for awhile longer.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well it certainly looks like the ravens pulled a fast one on everyone with jackson just like the chiefs did with mahomes.

so even if brady does retire we'll still have to deal with these new guys for more years.