2020 Retain thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Nov 18, 2019.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The last two weeks the team has looked better and their are some guys who will be free agents at the end of the year that I would like to retain for next year.

1. Ryan Griffin. Like him with the Texans. Good player. Get him and a healthy Herndon real nice 1-2 punch.

2. Kelvin Beachum. Very solid left tackle. Probably ouyr best olinemen. I'd resign him and tell him he can compete at either tackle position and be our top backup linemen. If we get a rookie LT he can mentor them and compete with Edoga at RT. I think he'd win but we'll see.

3. Compton. Filled in very nicely for Winters and I think he's a good depth piece. Can't go in with him starting but being a top backup.

4. Poole. Been really well in the slot. Be nice if we can bring him back.

5. Demarius Thomas. Veteran receiver. Lost a step but really helps the offense. If he becomes the 3rd or 4th option next year it'd be perfect for him. Defintely want to get younger but much like Beachum a good mentor and someone who can contribute.

Right now those are five I'd like to keep. There might be more. Poole and Griffin might cost us some money and Beachum might be too expensive to keep but if we could keep a few of these 5 it'd be really good for us.

2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Tom Compton looked to me to be a quantum improvement over Winters getting either burned, torched, or flamed on a regular basis. I was watching him as closely as possible and I never saw him blow anything. And while to me that alone is more than acceptable at this point on top of not getting burned I saw him actually root his guy back on multiple occasions and really open stuff up.

It makes me wonder what the Jets staff, who look at this stuff 24/7 and know what they are doing were seeing to never try putting him in the game before this.

Retain!

PabloJa, stinkyB and egelband like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with 4 of the 5 players you mentioned. If Beacham is willing to stay to be a backup and have a chance to compete for a starting job, and a contract that would escalate if he wins a starting job, then I'd be all to happy to keep him. With the shortage of quality OL in the NFL, I'm not sure he'd be willing to as he could possibly start elsewhere. Because of limited cap space to sign FAs and limited draft picks, I believe there are others that we not only need to keep, but who deserve keeping. Thus, I would also add the following players to the list of keepers.

Jordan Jenkins
    Robbie Anderson [edit] inadvertently left out
    Neville Hewitt
    Brandon Copeland
    Alex Lewis
    Lachlan Edwards
    Rontez Miles
    Frankie Luvu
    Sam Ficken
    Ty Montgomery and/or Bilal Powell
    James Burgess
    Arthur Maulet [edit - added]

#3 NCJetsfan, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    MDJets, ukjetsfan, mrjet80 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Jordan Jenkins is an absolute must-keep. He is a really good strong side player. Calvin Pace part II.

PabloJa, Royal Tee, mrjet80 and 3 others like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bring back Winters too. He's been playing the whole season with an extremely painful dislocated shoulder. Hats off to his toughness.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

So Robby Anderson has the best hands since Al Toon, and Brian Winters should be retained at his bad contract because he's tough and played hurt (probably to the detriment of the team)?

What Jets games are you watching?!

PabloJa, Peebag, wewantsapp and 5 others like this.
  7. Footballgod214

This is probably the most important one on the list...!!! Good job sir.

8. Footballgod214

Yes!!! You finally get it.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding more.

Jordan Jenkins: 100% agree. Solid OLB for us. Be hard to replace.
    Neville Hewitt: Great special teamer and depth piece. For the right price like to keep him.
    Brandon Copeland: Like to keep him but have a feeling he goes elsewhere. Playing out of position currently. Good team guy.
    Alex Lewis: Completely forgot about Lewis. Much like Compton. Plays hard and is a good piece. Be nice if we could bring him back.
    Lachlan Edwards: Definitely Lach. Consistent. Hopefully they can. No to Darr.
    Rontez Miles: Would love to have him back but like Copeland I think he goes elsewhere.
    Frankie Luvu: I think he'll stay. Might leave though.
    Sam Ficken: Defintely sign him today. Won't be expensive and is solid.
    Ty Montgomery and/or Bilal Powell: I think Powell retires. Montgomery goes elsewhere to get playing time maybe.
    James Burgess: Be a good depth piece. Feel he'd get beaten out but we'll see.

From the list Jenkins, Hewitt, Lewis, Edwards, and Ficken I'd sign today if I could.

ukjetsfan and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Ficken's the 30th ranked kicker in the NFL at the moment in terms of Field Goal percentage. Tied for 17th as he's only missed one XP (93%).

I think kicker is on the shopping list. Jake Elliott is my pick but he's a RFA.

Jets81 and FJF like this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'ma big fan of Hewitt, he maybe your 2nd MLB alongside Mosley next year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Stats don't lie. I don't have a problem moving on but he could be worse. I'd be ok holding onto him.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

If stats don't lie, then he's pretty much hot garbage. The rest of the season is a try out for him as it is for much of the roster. He doesn't look to be very good though.

94Abraham, HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

so far theres votes for bringing back 4 O lineman. Wwe have a terrible O line yes? hahhaa what is happening?

MDJets, Ralebird, 94Abraham and 2 others like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Compton is on his fifth team in five years. Beechum is an OK pass protector with zero push in the run game and Lewis hasn't exactly been great.

I expect there to be at least three new starters if not four. Lewis might be the only guy who returns to start. Interesting how the line looks much better with Kalil out. Makes you wonder if we should've just thrown Harrison the job and been done with it.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Jesus or offensive line is bad, but not terrible, look at the Redskins line, and the Giants, Christ even as bad as our pass rush is, basically non existent, we got 6 yesterday and the week prior lol that's saying a lot

17. NCJetsfan

I disagree with Winters. To begin with, he's not a FA, so doesn't really fit this thread since we are talking about FAs to retain. In addition, he had shoulder problems last season and again this season. He is below average, but being paid like an above average OG. No way Winters should be back. Cutting him would save the Jets $7.5 million. They can sign a better player for that amount, possibly two better players.

Peebag, wewantsapp, 94Abraham and 4 others like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

You're welcome. Yeah, several players on that list may not want to re-up with the Jets. It may depend upon how they like Gase/Williams and what other offers they may get. I definitely could see Montgomery wanting to leave since he hasn't seen the field that much under Gase. Powell could retire, but he can still play. I'd be perfectly happy with Bell, Powell and a rookie RB next season. Copeland should return to OLB next season with Mosley and maybe Williamson back. I guess it will depend upon what he thinks of Williams and Gase and/or if he thinks he can make more elsewhere.

IMO Beacham and Compton should probably both be backups at this point in their careers. If one of both were replaced by a better player, that would be great. If not, they're better depth than we've had in a while.Lewis could be brought back as a starter or as depth. He could definitely be upgraded, but I doubt they have 5 new starters on the OL next season.

#18 NCJetsfan, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  19. NCJetsfan

I didn't realize that Ficken was ranked so low. They may re-sign him and then bring in competition, with the winner getting the job just to try to avoid the mess they had this season.

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah I was just about to post about this. What is the point of keeping offensive linemen from a terrible unit? I am not sure replacing all 5 will be feasible this offseason so I assume we keep 1-2 players, but I don’t get the offensive line love in this thread. Beachum’s contract expires so I am not sure the Jets will want to resign him.