Jets Reach Yet Another Low

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, I can’t imagine what this would have looked like if it had been Robby.

stinkyB and Acad23 like this.
  2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying and that's def how things work for us and our jobs but players view things differently. Right or wrong this kind of stuff doesn't make the org look good. We already had a player feel so sick after signing with us he backed out (Barr).. this won't help make FA want to come here (unless we throw tons of money at them which we can't do for everyone).

3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I would fine his ass again for speaking out publically since he tried to shame and embarrass the organization. It was his fault, not once but twice! Now a third time with his public comments. Nobody forced him to sign a contract. If he didn't have a contract he would have been fired already so he can spend all his time with his wife. One very important point is that it sets a bad precedent if the Jets did not fine him. If they said okay no fine then that gives everyone else the excuse to not show up and not call. Also, not sure why he mentioned his wife being a veteran. That is no excuse for the poor choices he made now 3 times.

azhar80, 94Abraham, FJF and 2 others like this.
  4. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

You don't get what he's saying.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Sorry if you disagree but its not BS, every NFL contract has a injury clause and I am pretty sure includes injury protocols that the team mandates. When a player signs he d
    Beechen (spelling) is the rep and called both to determine the protocol that is all.. What players are outraged? U make it sound like the entire team has a problem.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This organization has no shame nor can it be subject to embarrassment any more than it has brought upon itself.

7. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Q hasn't a leg to stand on here in terms of not showing up for treatment but this is the tweet that really caught my eye. It sounds like he wasn't going to go public until numerous team mates told him how f****d up it is and he couldn't then sit on it.
    It gives a clear insight into the Jets organisation and how a group of players are handling their issues with Gase.
    Gase needs to go now but if there are a a group of players running the show and pulling against the organisation, I would be moving those guys on asap

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I understand that players will hate having fines posted on a board for all to see. Anyone would hate being called out in front of their peers and team mates like this, but that's what it is intended to do. Is it a touch draconian, perhaps, but how many times in the last decade has there been complaints on here about the Jets running a lax, holiday camp style training regime where tardiness and other general disciplinary issues aren't dealt with until they snowball? If this is part of a move to build a team first ethos then so be it. Don't want to have your name posted on the screen for all to see? Do your job, be where you are supposed to be, put the team first and you won't be.

FJF likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

By that logic, Gase should be plastered on every screen in the facility.

NCJetsfan and sozopol like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed to an extent. But we're really on the edge with the questionable way we're handling injuries as it is. And we also need the head coach to blame himself for something every once in a while.

11. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but there are a few more nuances:

1. Do players get fined by the team for on-the-field stuff, like mindless penalties or blowing assignments? Being on-time for meetings etc. is great, but it's far less important than being disciplined on the field.

2. When you post fines on a board for all the players to see, fines are no longer a private matter. You can expect this in-house information to be leaked to the media. Is that a good thing?

3. By posting the fines, Gase and Douglas are implicitly guaranteeing that all players will be treated alike. In other words, whoever breaks a team rule will be fined. Is that a promise they can keep? The reality is that stars are treated better than scrubs. What happens when player A gets fined and realizes player B did the same thing and wasn't fined or got a lesser fine. If there is a double-standard for punishment, and I expect there is on most teams, might publicizing fines cause team discord? I know I'd be pissed if I got fined but a team golden boy got away with the same infraction.

4. The posting is obviously designed to bring peer pressure on players to toe the line. In this day and age, does that still work in the NFL?

My point is this: a philosophy for instilling discipline by fining players has to be very well thought-out, and not some knee-jerk thing that worked for Vince Lombardi 60 years ago.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But don't you think that discipline follows you everywhere you go? If you make it a habit as far as being on time for meetings and what not, it'll transfer to the field.

#2 is fair. I hate the posting of fines thing. I just can't say whether or not other NFL teams do it or if this is a dickhead Gase thing. Sounds like it is but I don't know.

As far as treating all the same, it was reported that Stefon Diggs got fined upwards of $200,000. He's a star of the Vikings and that didn't stop that fine. It can be done. It's a whole lot easier when the coach has a proven track record of winning though and there's not shady injury issues all season long.

#4 is a point that I wonder myself. I do believe players are much more sensitive than they were. I think it CAN work but you need credibility. The Lions look like they're struggling with this with Patricia.

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

1. I'm sure would be precluded by the CBA. The only recourse open to the team is benching or cutting really.
    2. It was an in-house matter until Q decided himself that it wasn't. Did anyone report it prior to this.
    3. I'm glad that all players are treated alike. That's how it should be, surely. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and no individual is too big to be disciplined.
    4. Possibly, but if you are trying to turn around a lax regime I don't think you achieve it by being timid. You start out full tilt and then soften up as things improve, if they do.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I have my own names for a bunch of the Jets players. I don't call Robby Anderson Robby The Genius for nothing.

15. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Only if the Jets cared this much about the players who are healthy and actually play for them and may have a future in the league (if they are fortunate to get away from this miserable franchise that is).