Jets Reach Yet Another Low

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Nov 14, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Quincy absolutely should have let them know ahead of time but that said there could be more going on here then we are aware of at this point. The other thing is do they make exceptions, give warnings, lesser fines ? I hate the Jet Organization and it is easy to dump on them but we all have to agree that in his entire time here Quincy has always stood by the mic answered the reporters and questions and he has been a model citizen so for him to go off on social media leads me to believe that there is more going on here.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

After what happened to Osemele, Q should have been intelligent enough to note that the Jets are taking a hard line with this, particularly if there’s little chance of said players ever suiting up again.

If I’ve got guaranteed money waiting, I’m following the team rule book. I’m even bringing Gase his elderflower latte every morning.

CBG and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  3. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

It’s changing the culture. Why would he think he could miss a rehab appointment and not tell anyone? He’s still a NY Jet employee. He’s still cashing giant checks every week. Just because Bowles and Mac let him do whatever he wanted, doesn’t mean that this regime will. I’m sure there was a trainer or a PT person left with their dick in their hand while Q enjoyed his Veterans Day lunch. If you don’t want to rehab, then retire. Oh wait, but then you won’t get paid.

Remember when Belichick fined Revis and sent him home for being late? Something that never happened to the golden boy during his Jet tenure.

Do your job. Even if your job is going to a rehab appointment.

Pepsiguy5, PabloJa, NYJetsO12 and 6 others like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This whole thread just shows you who the kind of people are that...

Hates on others and what they have.. and, those who actually want to see others succeed and treated fairly in the world.

Sigh.

thankyourevis likes this.
  5. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This is exactly correct. We always want to compare our head coaches to Belichick - how do we think HE would have handled this? Probably the same exact way.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here is the truth.

Quincy has no excuses for missing these treatments. It doesn't matter that it was veterans day or that his wife is a vet. If it was an emergency he should have called ahead. He is out of line with these excuses.

Missing treatments is usually a 1 to 5 thousand dollar fine. Not a 28 thousand dollar fine. So the Jets did take it to the extreme and its not beyond the pale to question the amount.

What is happening is likely this. The Jets have paid Quincy a lot of cash over the last three seasons with little return due to his constant injuries. They likely created this excessive fine to get some of their money back. The dude has collected a lot of checks for sitting on the sideline, and the Jets wanted some of it back. He gave them an excuse to get it.

#106 ouchy, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there's not a chance thats true.

PabloJa, FJF and Acad23 like this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the "fines on tv" thing. To me, players who are fined should be dealt with privately. There's nothing wrong with calling a player and telling him that you want to meet in person.

But generally, the fine itself is not unfounded.

The problem with all of this is there's a weird public perception that the jets are screwing the players. I think Gase's past with Miami makes all these issues more suspect, which is one of the reasons why Gase should be gone by seasons end.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you have any sources that say what missed treatment fines usually are? The only case I can find is Manziel which is undocumented what the amounts are.

I highly doubt the Jets are able to up the fine to whatever they want in the confines of the CBA. That's a bizarre conspiracy theory.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its not a conspiracy theory, its simply business? Its certainly in line with how the Johnson's do business.

For the record I'm not saying the Jets are out of line on this. Its business, they are simply trying to recoup money on a bad investment that through his own actions shows little future potential.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

It's a conspiracy theory until you find us where you ascertained the notion that the team can adjust fines based on situations? And subsequently are fining him way more than typical fines are for this sort of thing.

94Abraham and FJF like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

$28,000 is only 0.2% of what Enunwa is making in 2019.

what an absurd suggestion that they are counting pennies that much, trying to recoup cash

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure teams set their own fines for off field conduct. The real question would be where these fines go. Some go to the NFLPA for player support groups. Some go to the NFL ownership collectively. Others remain in house.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I understand Q's frustration here, but I actually am siding with the team (to an extent) on this one.

- Gase having the fine amount on a screen for all to see is pretty unnecessary. He did this in Miami to.
    - Q might have felt slighted at that. However, he's gotta know to alert whomever ahead of time. I have no idea what happened to his house that qualified as an emergency though.
    - The Jets are in the right for the fact he was just given, what, $20M? I don't think it's the dollar amount of the fine that's an issue.

I'm a big fan of his, but airing it out on Twitter... what will it have gained him?

On the flip, Gase said:

Overall, this is a mess that could have been avoided, as is EVERYTHING with this team.

15. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

Quincy said himself he was fined the max for missing treatments. It’s right here in the post. Not saying the theory is correct but there is no mystery what the fines are.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah but this isn't Gase's first year of coaching. He been this way for four years now, he isn't going to change.

17. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

We have very little hard information, only what Enunwa posted, so people are reacting according to their pre-existing feelings about Gase/Douglas. Maybe Gase/Douglas are closing the country club and making players toe the line. That would be good. On the other hand, maybe they're taking sadistic pleasure in busting the balls of players (Enunwa and Osemele) who are no longer of any use to them. That wouldn't be so good. Who knows? I doubt we'll ever get the full story.

As for Belichick , he gets away with being a dictator because he wins. Same with Parcells. How did Belichick's tough-guy act play in Cleveland before he started winning? How did hard-ass Greg Schiano work out in Tampa Bay? Players will take strict discipline only if it leads to winning, so if Gase and Douglas want to play that card, the team had been start winning and looking competent in the process. Otherwise, this will not be a place where players want to be.

I'd bet that for every successful dictator-coach like Belichick or Parcells, there are a dozen tough-guy wannabes who flame out. Maybe that's why the Belichick coaching tree is a little bare.

SOJAZ, All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yes, a new low, but is some of the Jets fans that are reaching a new low in overreaction. What in the hell is wrong with what management did? . Enunwa has been babied along long enough and getting paid a great salary while rehabbing so he can return in tip top shape and help this team. That is his job . He has contributed little so far and demonstrated that he is very prone to injuries, so there is that. As a professional athlete he better make rehab top priority and not give us the lame “my wife is a vet so I took it out to lunch instead BS excuse”. If you are going to miss a day from your job the least you should do is notify them so you don’t waste other people times, instead of fucking around with tweeter. Or better, you can honor her with lunch or dinner after your freaking rehab. That is on you Enunwa, management has every right to hold you accountable, as the good teams do. You can’t blame the athletic department for this injury trend on one hand, and then blame Mgmt when some players take rehab as a second priority. I can blame Gase for many things, but this is certainly not one of them. Good for Gase.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. And the automatic assumption is that the organization is the side imposing a max penalty, rather than the actions taken by the player warranted a max penalty?

And it was also done to recoup Enunwa's salary as some sort of directive?

20. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

I was only clarifying the size of the fine. I don’t even have an opinion on the other stuff. It’s all conjecture and not worth talking about.