Jets Reach Yet Another Low

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Nov 14, 2019.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Although I think the jets are being harsh, I also don't think they are being unreasonable.

If any of us decided to skip work without telling our employers, we'd be disciplined or fired. Quincy is an employee of the jets and as such, needs to abide by the simple rules of communicating to your employer as to why you can't make it in to work.

Regardless of whether he's on IR or not, he has an obligation to come into the facility and get treatment. The fact that he put this on social media is another attempt of undermining the coach/GM, while also piling on to the jets while public opinion is not in their favor (Osemele and Falk).

To me this shows that there are quite a few players on the roster who do not respect the coach

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We are though. When lawsuits like the below are popping up, it's a different world.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-after-being-sued-by-player-he-told-to-slide/

This is the everyone gets a trophy generation. Players are also gaining more control than they've ever really had. You can't argue that social media hasn't changed this society for the worst, and it's drastically changed the fabric of sports and the people participating. You can either try to adapt to the personnel, or you can be a dickhead that "changes the culture."

There aren't really any authoritarian coaches left and there's a reason for that. Players no longer need to fear their coach because if anyone slaps their wrist too hard it ends up on social media. And everyone will run to sympathise with the guy and his poor Veteran Wife.

Agree or disagree with that notion, it's the reality of where we are.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's right, there's wrong, and there's public perception. The last thing usually supersedes the other two. Regardless of who's right and who's wrong here, the Jets have definitely fucked up the perception thing.

Jets81, NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree strongly with you.

the "everyone gets a trophy generation" criticism is a recycled and false trope. It comes from people with their own issues evolving and understanding their world. Millennials aren't that different from other generations. Besides they are all grown men now anyway, with families and mouths to feed.

---

The Jets have needed a change in culture for a decade now. that's part of the reason why Quincy Enunwa blows off work and doesn't even realize he did anything wrong

94Abraham and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree. I just think you see authoritarian coaches begin to disappear as player friendly coaches emerge.

I think there's a fine line to toe and you can really be both. But it's tough to come in and do that immediately and especially try to flex your muscles against injured players. And right now we look like a bunch of schmucks if you get hurt here.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez i am more intrigued by the flat screen TV fine monitor on the wall!

wonder if they were posting the trade interest in j. adams on there!

cmcm750203 likes this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. It appears they are being too harsh in their fine. That being said he is an employee and missed two days. Players, employees etc need to be held accountable. If I did something like that I'd be lucky to come back to a job. If I was lucky enough to have my job I'd be docked my two day pay. I'm assuming the Jets are fining him the most he is allowed to be fined. Defintely two sides to the story. Not sure the full story on this one will come out. I'm still waiting for the Osemele story to come out.

The Falk story is one to follow too. I've heard he never was on the injury report. I do remember hearing about a hip issue. We'll see how it plays out.

As for showing the fines on the tvs. I look at it two ways.

1. The Jets were such a mess when Gase and Douglas got here they had to set examples to hold players accountable and this is one way they have used it in the past. I get that reasoning and knowing the Jets it doesn't surprise me it had to be done.

2. That being said someone who is established can probably do it no questions asked. The problem here is that Gase has upset the players so to make it look worse they go public with their grievences to expediate his departure.

I am not a Gase fan at all. That being said holding players accountable isn't a bad thing. Maybe his approach and others in the orginization should review how they do it. The Enuwa situation he looks bad but the Jets too harsh. KO situation Jets look bad but we'll see what happens. Falk situation I want to know more before I make a judgement. Either way the Jets don't look good here. Not a way to start building a team.

Fun year and it's only November 15th. Write a book not a way how to run a franchise. Interview the Dolan's, Wilpons, Schneider's, and a few more we can add to the list.

grkmanga31 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Parcells demanded respect because he deserved it. Gase never played football past high school (which would be fine if he weren't a macho dick), only wins when he's working under better people than he is, and sucks as a coach. He's the NFL's version of a keyboard warrior.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't really care if he never played football. It's more about preaching accountability when you're not accountable yourself.

A lot of coaches take the "we need to coach better, we need to play better, we need to do everything better," approach. Gase leaves out the coaching part and seems to only talk about lack of player execution. He just seems like he demands excellence, which is great, but you can't demand it by constantly throwing people under the bus.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Parcells became 'Mr. Bill Parcells who deserves respect.' But in 1983 when he took over the Giants he was a macho dick, the NFL's equivalent of a typewriter warrior.

Parcells 1st year coaching he benched Phil Simms for Scott Brunner. What a dick. he finished 3-12 and the giants were really close to making the mistake of firing him.

#90 BrowningNagle, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    jilozzo likes this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

apparently the guy from miami - schnellenberger?? was contacted by the giants at the time.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that she knows, and she may have even told him that he needed to call. He may have responded with something like, "Nah, it doesn't matter. The Jets aren't picky with stuff like that. Players have been late, not showed up, and it's basically cool. They understand."

That doesn't make him right. I agree that he should be punished somehow. I just don't like the amount of the fine, and posting it publicly. I get that Gase is trying to make it clear that the culture has changed, that there will be accountability now, that they are expected to act like responsible adults, and that everyone will be treated the same. If this was an isolated incident, it wouldn't bother me, but coming on the heels of the other injury situations, and it says to me that something is not right. Where's there's smoke, there's generally fire. The Jets are having too many of these kinds of problems and they are public black eyes. The Jets could wind up getting punished by the league or it could create a situation where no FA wants to sign with the Jets.

13. NCJetsfan

I agree that Enunwa is wrong, but I also think the Jets are wrong in how they handled the situation. When he didn't show for treatment, why didn't they call him to see where he was and to see if he was alright?

Ralebird likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

If Woody said it was weird, then it's not the norm in the NFL. He's been there, done that.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

No, it goes way beyond that. Other teams change their culture, but they don't drive players away. If a player doesn't want to be a part of that new culture or refuses to go along with the change, then he is traded or released, but they don't do petty, negative shit to embarrass the player and drive him away. Only Gase does that.

16. NCJetsfan

Parcells was an asshole. It worked in the NFL 20+ years ago. It won't work today with today's players.

17. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but imo you're wrong. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Some people are the same, but many others have changed.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't even think it was handled terribly in terms of the fine. You miss work, you get fined. That is what it is.

It's just bad optics for everything that's piling on with all of this injury shit. I also think posting the fine on digital signage is a bad move, regardless of what era we're in. I had thought that the injury stuff with Kelechi Osemele was on him, and it still partly is, but I don't think it's the standard that once you get hurt, big or small, the organization essentially tells you to go fuck yourself and the head coach wants nothing to do with you ever again.

And this trend is following him and I've honestly never heard of it. Maybe it's commonplace that coaches don't talk to players who are hurt? Just doesn't seem likely.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

this dude cant be serious ... you cannot play the veteran card when youre not a veteran

it sounds like q is trying to make sure that he doesnt pass that march physical. i cant knock him cause id do the same thing, but the team is not wrong here

bigbucks24 likes this.
  20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Not sure I get your inferences here... Are you saying that because of some physiological or psychological reason he is absolved from his responsibility to call his employer? As a player, that is every player, knows that they are one hit away from ending their career and that is their choice. Key words here are choice. IMHO he had a choice to call twice - not once but twice - and for whatever reason "failed" to do so. Furthermore, what I haven't seen posted is if the team has discussed their policy regarding injuries with the players.

I would think (hope) that when a player signs a contract , which by all accounts covers injuries and therefore the club policy, that they understand it and accept it based on the fact that they sign said document. Irrespective of the contract, it is incumbent for both parties to discuss and ensure that there is no difference of opinion or understanding - this is basic contract law. The question is, "did this happen and if it did, then who is at fault here?"

Now if you want to discuss weather the crime fits the punishment, then we can agree they could have handled this better. But with all due respect to you and other posters defending him, in my book he failed three times. Twice for not calling and a third for signing a contract and then essentially disregarding the content of it with respect to injury policy.

PabloJa, NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.