Browns Cut Calloway right before game tonight

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

In a somewhat shocking move just hours before they face off in a primetime game with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Cleveland Browns have waive second-year wide receiver Antonio Callaway according to Josh Alper of Pro Football Talk.com.

This was probably always how it was going to end for Callaway in Cleveland, or any NFL city for that matter. Physically a first-round talent, Callaway missed his final season at Florida due to several off-the-field incidents and fell to the fourth round in 2018 because of a litany of off-the-field concerns. He then proceeded to earn a four-game substance-abuse ban to begin 2019. When he was on the field, Callaway flashed serious big-play ability but committed more mistakes. A recent final straw was Callaway showing up late to a meeting last week, which earned him a Week 10 healthy scratch.

Callaway posted 51 catches for 675 yards and five touchdowns in his time with the Browns.

Still only 22 years old, Callaway will probably get a second NFL chance, but his NFL future is dim. His off-the-field issues coupled with his gaffe-prone play will have him on the edge of whatever 53-man roster he ends up on.

Seriously JD take a chance on one of these cut players. we need young talent and need another WR. yeah he's a chance but he's also dirt cheap and young. we don't have to give up anything to get him. It's low risk high reward. worse case we grab him on waivers and he walks at the end of the year and is out of the NFL or lands us a comp pick

EDIT: nevermind apparently he's getting a 10 game suspension

#1 GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    azhar80 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He's about to be suspended for 10 games.

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm normally all for flyers on guys, but I just don't think the talent out weighs the baggage. This guy has been nowhere near productive enough to be acting like this sort of jerk off.

The off the field stuff is what it is, but he's following up his suspensions by being late for the games and meetings and shit? No thanks. Another guy that will essentially be out of football for two years by the time he comes back.

The NFL will move on from him quickly.

Royal Tee and 94Abraham like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

he produced as a rookie not crazy number obviously but remember robby is a free agent next year. DT is likely gone. enunwa may still be hurt. at this point for next year the only guarenteed real WR we have is crowder. calloway is a lot better then berios and bellamy. and if he cleans up his act we can look to keep him. he can be a good WR 3. if not we cut him or let him walk doesn't hurt anything

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

10 game ban. Easy pass for JD.

6. GasedAndConfused

aww shit I didn't see that part. guess not

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

As a Gators fan.... Fuck this guy

*And thats before i knew about the suspension

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I know we need receivers and I know you want him. I think a receiver that can't play until week 11 and won't be able to work with the quarterback is useless. Not to mention we're watching the negative effects of two years off from Le'Veon Bell and on a similar scale to Callaway; Josh Gordon.

9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Sign this beast!

10. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

He’s a dumpster fire. We need less dumpster fires and more solid citizens. Which we have quite a few. You don’t bring a cancer into the building on purpose when your season and team is teetering on a razors edge.

11. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

This guy isn't as good as Kareem Hunt, but the 10 game ban is no reason not to sign him. What, was he going to put us over the top this year? No, but he could be a future asset. I would have no issue if the Jets see if they can make anything of this guy, especially at a weaker position on the team.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This takes me back to Santonio Holmes. Another great WR with 'baggage'. He won (big) games for us, but ultimately tore the locker room apart.

Coaches, GMs, and even players want 'high character' guys for a reason.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He has all the baggage of Holmes with none of the great.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If he wasn't getting suspeneded I'd say take a chance. Since he is like many have said it'd be best to pass. Sad situation. All the talent in the world but unfortanately can't stay out of trouble.

15. GasedAndConfused

I edited my post. he's facing a 10 game suspension so pass