You realize we haven’t had a playoff mandate in years?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Dan Snyder is a fighter.

KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

When did playoff mandate become a thing? Seriously what owner ever has ever come out publicly with a playoff mandate. Please link me, I’d love to see it.

FJF likes this.
  3. 2 opposite ends of the spectrum.black & white.Im asking for shades of gray.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets have been terribly run, but fans who act like the owners are personally attacking them are such whiney babies. We're nowhere near the bottom of the barrel in terms of franchises, and we even have a ton of playoff wins compared to excellent franchises such as the Cowboys (last playoff win - 1995). We're also tied with the Bears who only have one more playoff appearance/loss in the same time period.

Obviously the Johnson's want to win. It's better for business. It's also a lot easier. You don't have to have a week 9 press conference if you're 7-2 about how you're not going to fire your coach on the spot despite a fire him airplane sign and billboards to come.

We also experienced 6 playoff trips, and 2 AFC championship games from 2000-2010 with the same owner.

Woody hired two 40 year NFL lifers for what I imagine was millions of dollars, to hire Bowles and Maccagnan. To act like an owner doesn't want to win is dumb. They're not good at it, but that doesn't mean they feel like defending their stupid decisions year in year out and firing the coach they thought was perfect for the job 9 games in.

I understand the frustration. I am too. But this whole nonsense about the owners don't care about winning, they want us to lose, they don't care about the fans, etc. Stop whining. We just need to give the right guys the keys. I don't think it's Gase but if it hurts you that much stop watching?

5. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Can have a playoff mandate. When 80% of your starters are backups at best on a lot of NFL teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You really think a mandate is going to get us a top GM and HC? I actually think the Johnsons's care. Caring doesn't make you competent. Not only does the team suck, they actually helped build Giant Stadium at a cost of 1.6 billion. That's an edifice to incompetence. It's not like they haven't gone through a bunch of GM's and HC's.

8. FJF

I actually respect them for building the stadium with no public funding. Even if they had to partner up to do it.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I've gone to loads of NFL stadiums. Honestly it's one of the worst I've been in. The Meadowlands stadium was built to cater to corporate interests at the expense of football fans. It was a downgrade to the existing Giant Stadium for football fans and they took a lot of upfront money in the form of PSL's.

The old Giant stadium they tore down to cater to corporate interests was a much better football stadium.

dawinner127 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The new stadium is abysmal. Everything about it sucks.

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

There's no urgency to win, so we end up where we are today. Fans need to stop going to the stadium, and stop spending money on this team.

I wonder how many people will cancel their season tickets if we go 4-12 this year, with Gase coming back?

Chris Johnson started off looking competent, now he looks like a moron who is more interested in not admitting a mistake versus fixing a huge problem

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. FJF

Still better than forcing it on the taxpayers like a lot of teams do. They get credit for going into their own pockets.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Agreed. It's still a tin box dump with a lot of flashing lights when you walk on though. I do give them credit on one thing; they improved the pisser situation dramatically.

Comparatively speaking we could've dealt with this one of a kind stadium on the water.

[​IMG]

You would've had to take a boat to get there in any timely fashion and it would've been an absolute traffic nightmare. But man it would've been cool and worth the 3.5 hour-26 mile car ride twice a year.

#53 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Cman68 likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We are near the bottom of the barrel for franchises. Since the AFC Championship Games, we've been little better than the Browns. And we're as bad as we've ever been now with no light at the end of the tunnel. As for the 2000s success, a lot of that was built on the foundation Woody inherited from Hess and Parcells. (Notwithstanding the fact Woody let the greatest coach of all time leave for a division rival.) I think that if anything, the fans are too nice to the Johnsons, trashing the people they hired rather than the root of the problem.

#54 HomeoftheJets, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

There are some rumors out there that the owner of Amazon is looking to buy a FB team :mad:

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

remember stadiums do not win championships players & coaching do:mad:

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. But being terrible doesn't correlate to not caring and hoping the fans and franchise burn in losing hell.

Make no mistake. There is a lot more money to be made when the franchise is winning.

And obviously letting Belichick go is and was a mistake. But forecasting him to go on to win 6 SB's isn't exactly fair to the Johnson's. Hess let Carroll go and he's done nothing but win National Championships and win/go to Super Bowls.

FJF likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

They don't?

Shouldn't this post include a happy face?

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No playoff mandate for 2020 either, but it would be nice if the Jets competed and maybe won 3 or 4 games. If so, we will see how the team is trending before making a 2021 decision on Gase. Maybe call Peyton Manning again and ask how he feels Gase is doing. ;)

20. Its not even about a playoff mandate.Ive argued AGAINST a playoff mandate in past years..

I want a standard of winning.Zero tolerance for on the field baffoonery. Its one thing to lose..its aother to be completely dysfunctional. Weve reached that level & its gonna take an iron fist from the top to fix it.

Enough “aww shucks” & false bravado to sell tickets. The team is a joke & it needs to be fixed.Not 3 yrs from now..