Chris Johnson: Gase will coach Jets in 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Kind of in the same place, but I am done with season tickets, done with buying Jets gear, done with going to the stadium, until a decent team is fielded. Until then I will watch from the comfort of my living room on Sundays, where the "leave this game" button is just an arm length away, no fuss, no muss, no bumper-to-bumper Route 3 to deal with.

I can tailgate on my deck, and I have 55" 4k and 9.1 surround. Fuck the Johnson brothers.

Red Menace and Cman68 like this.
  2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be concerned about what Chris says. Gase's best quality is his ability to tell team owners they don't know anything about football.

4. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Fair enough....but one can only assume that the players, press, fans, all know all this as well.....sooooooo what does it (the statement) really accomplish ?
    I actually think he means it.....for real. If for no other reason, for the economics of it.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Don't be surprised if Gase doesn't get an extension before the 2020 season starts. Rewarding stupidy and failure is what they do.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll be pretty surprised. I do believe that Christopher Johnson is fully aware that another season like this one and he will have to fire Gase. By then I believe Bowles is off the books and we can start the coaching carousel again.

It's becoming harder and harder to attract people here in terms of coaches/front office. Why else would Joe D require a lucrative contract for SIX YEARS?

Because we keep hiring with stipulations. Idzik with Revis and Rex. Won't let Matt Rhule pick his staff. Maccagnan and Gase. Coaches and front office people probably hate the stipulations way more than players do.

Red Menace, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Bowles and Macc I believe will be off the books. Then the CEO can show us how smart he is by picking JD's next HC to work with.

8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice the guy the QB whisperer coached in Miami actually has a winning record in Tenn, and a 12 point higher QB rating than he did during his best season under the whisperer? ​

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah realistically about the only way this year could have gone any worse would have been if the backup QB got mono to start the season and then the franchise QB snapped his leg in his first start.

Amidst all the other smoldering rubble at least we can be thankful THAT didn't happen.... or at least hasn't happened yet. I guess we've got a few more chances to pull it off yet.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I hear you. But he's playing about how he did in Miami and he's not that deep into this season. I don't even look at QB Rating anymore. He also had his highest completion percentages with Gase and his lowest sack total. So I'm imagining Gase recognized what he was better at and ran with it.

He also threw for a lot of garbage yards in a game against Carolina that was over at the start of the 4th quarter and got shutout vs. the Broncos.

Let's wait before we annoint Tannehill.

#71 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Did Chris Johnson mention anything about keeping the new uniforms after the season?

Ralebird and Since1969 like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your are mistaken. His completion percentage in Tenn is over 70%. Much better than any of his seasons with Gase.

Getting sacked less in Miami doesn't mean anything other than better pass protection in Miami.

If you watch Tenn games you will note that most sacks are out of the spread formation. When Tenn starts passing the ball with success, its out of the pro set or I formations. This is also when Henrey starts getting space to run.

Translation - Tannahil thrives more in traditional offenses than he does in the Spread. Yet Gase doesn't seem to know how to design effective non spread plays. Therefore Gases offense will always have the spread as their base offense.

#73 ouchy, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Right, I meant over a full season. His completion percentages drastically improved when Gase got there. Tannehill is notoriously a pretty mediocre if not bad deep ball thrower. So he worked the short game offense hence less sacks, quicker throws, etc.

My point is that Tannehill looks to be a very similar player as he was in Miami with Gase. He's thrown 5/8 of his touchdowns against two of the worst two defenses in the league. He looked good in the Chargers game. Let's see how he finishes as they have to start to muck it up in the AFC South.

CotcheryFan and ouchy like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Whatever you want to call it, It was very insightful.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It's a fan just like us. No more insightful than either of us.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Way more insight than the average fan can provide IMO.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I won't lie, I haven't been the biggest fan of Gase in the past nor parts of what he's done so far this season. I try to look at this objectively though because that's just how I am lol.

1- the OL question, I feel the hand he was dealt was something not many of us expected. Remember, a lot of us were hopeful Osemele would improve what he done last year mostly because of his off-season regimen, being healthy (so we thought) and Dennison. Kalil was met with optimism by most because he was a veteran and many felt he was better than what was in house. All of that turned into a disaster...part of it was because of Mac's inability to bring in some quality OL during the off-season. Hell the Jets best OL maybe Lewis, someone that Douglas brought in.
    We even see now how bad the offensive line is running wise too as I haven't seen one big hole for our RB's all year! And to be honest, with Bell's style, he may never get 100 yards rushing this year, they can't hold blocks whatsoever. Powell has had better runs because he hits whatever little hole is there, for 4 yards instead of 2 for Bell.

2- this is also year one of a brand new system for all parties involved. Between preseason being so short and Darnold's mono, it really hampered the weeks Sam was out. Installing a gameplan mostly for Falk proved to be something he couldn't do, moreso because I feel like Falk is nowhere near an NFL QB backup or anything as is.

So I equate these things to a big time bad set of circumstances. Speaking of Gase, I remember seeing quotes saying this is Sam's offense and I think that's why Sam loves what Gase is doing. Sam has total autonamy to make line changes and get the team into the right plays. I do think he has the smarts to do this. I also think he doesn't have the personnel to really realize what he can do here with the offense currently. Also, he's still learning! Remember this is his second system in his first two years, it's a lot to throw at Sam right now...which is why I do feel Gase and Sam need more time. If we see that growth with this offense like how it was last year towards the end, I feel us fans will be more trusting of this decision to keep Gase for next year.

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised CJ would say this because I don't believe he has any idea what he's doing, and no matter how much I wanted it to happen, Gase was not getting fired midseason. I did believe that he could've gotten the boot after the season, especially if he finished with 4 wins or less. My optimistic side is telling me it's still possible as CJ had said Mac's job was safe, only to fire him.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see what Gase and Joe Douglas can do to improve this team. The off-season should be interesting.