You realize we haven’t had a playoff mandate in years?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Nov 13, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cj gase and Douglas are not responsible for 49.5 of this years and you want them to mandate the playoffs because you have been suffering for 50 years. Yea, I’d call that entitlement.

2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

You missed the limp wristed mandate option

go back and read again

and please keep posting stupid shit about how it’s great losing for 50 years

3. CJ already came out & said he will never make a playoff mandate.

The johnsons are NOT fighters.Theyd rather flutter in the wind pissing their $ away & all our football hopes w it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. FJF

Go ahead and find the quote when I said it’s great losing for 50 years. I’ll wait

5. To establish an expectation for WINNING & zero tolerance for LOSING!

6. FJF

Again Kurt, no owner would mandate the playoffs in their first year hires. It’s just not going to happen.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I can deal with not having a playoff mandate as it can cause the team to do desperate things. What I'd like to see is ownership demand improvement and not celebrate going 8-8 like they just won a playoff game.

8. But arent you bringing them in to change the very culture in question? To raise the standard? If anything its the PERFECT time to mandate success. Candidates dont like the pressure? Dont take the job.The right person to fix this mess isnt gonna shy away from high expectations when they sign on the dotted line.

This is NEW YORK.This is a desperate fan base.Embrace the pressure..not be wishy washy.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's clear to me that the Johnsons don't have what it takes to oversee a winning franchise. They are the worst of possibilities - they won't demand winning, but they also won't stay out of the way. They're dilettantes: rich boys with their expensive toys. There is really no hope for the future with this tam IMO.

Each of us has to decide what we'll do at this point, but it won't make a difference to the Johnsons.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Longsuffering88

Again
    Steinbrenner would

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Easy with the insults to FJF. He has been a staple for this board and a great Jet fan. He is basically a Royalty. Disagree with him all you want but do it respectfully please.

12. Longsuffering88

I’ve been as respectful as possible given the absurd comments

and maybe that’s the core problem

Classifying someone as royalty, might not be great for a diverse open discussion ?

I don’t come here to kiss ass. I just post opinion without threats to people.

Look at who’s signature has someone posting a violent threat against them? Not me.

if the shoe fits.....

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

We're becoming what the Browns, Raiders have been. Perennial losers. League doormats.

Or perhaps we've been there for quite awhile (it has been almost 10 years since the last playoffs appearance) but only now are we coming to grips with the reality of our situation.

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Now the Jets are trying to sell that this 'rebuild' is going to take lotsa time for our Gase yes man GM.

Imbeciles.

Planning a long rebuild, planning to build for sustained success in a league with a system designed to tear teams apart after a few years.

Imbeciles.

Planning for sustained success with their track record of drafting. They have no sense of identity, no sense of where they are.

Haven't been to a Super Bowl since 1969 yet they turn up their nose at the possibility of short term success.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Playoff mandates are absurd in football. This season is a perfect example of why. You could just about make a case for this year's Jets roster to make the playoffs if they had stayed largely injury free. You've got a sophomore QB and two especially large holes at OL and CB. The QB has to make a jump and those weaknesses have to be masked. Instead there have been a ton of injuries, significantly weakening areas that were strong (ILB now down to guys off the street for example), the weak areas are even weaker and the QB has missed a month and clearly not yet made any major step. Excuses? Sure, but valid ones and I'd humbly submit that a reincarnation of Lombardi, Walsh and Landry couldn't make the playoffs with the roster as it is currently constituted.

That said, I would remove Gase. Not because he hasn't succeeded in making an initially unlikely and now unachievable postseason goal, but because he hasn't made things better and demonstrated the traits I would like to see in a successful NYJ head coach.

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Regarding the playoff mandate:

Give the mandate to a year one coach and he fails, you get a new coach the following season who inherits a losing team that probably has some big holes.

The new coach then gets the mandate. He inherits some of the previous teams holes, institutes a new system, wins more games but doesn’t make the playoffs.

3rd season, 3rd new coach. Leagues catches on. Nobody wants to play for or coach the Jets. GM is backed into a corner.

Now the Jets are not only losers, but they have to overpay for everything even more then they do now, and they have zero stability year over year. No reputable coach will leave whatever good situation they’re in to come to a team where they have a matter of months to turn a perennial loser into a playoff team.

No, the playoff mandate for a first year head coach just doesn’t work. It’s a nice fantasy though.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Shame it will never happen, but I would like to see what a Mangini/Douglas combo could achieve...

19. FJF

Still waiting for you to back up this post

20. FJF

Thanks brook but I can take care of myself