Chris Johnson: Gase will coach Jets in 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 13, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Despite a 2-7 record, New York Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said Wednesday he will not make a coaching change, indicating the embattled Adam Gase will return in 2020, Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reports.

Johnson, in his first public remarks since June, said he informed the team last Wednesday that Gase isn't going anywhere.

Johnson said the poor season is "exceedingly frustrating," but he commended Gase, in his first season, for keeping the team unified and fighting through a rash of injuries.

Speaking at practice, Johnson expressed confidence in Gase and new general manager Joe Douglas, who was hired in June.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I do have to give Gase some credit. To come back after the debacle in Miami and fight and beat the Giants and not fold like a lawn chair was impressive to me. I thought this team was going to instantly turn on him.

I still would've preferred he got shit canned but I guess we need to see where he goes and what his offense can look like with a *hopefully* much improved offensive line.

King Koopa and SOJAZ like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So the Jets are going to be patient with Gase?

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The whole situation is bad. I don't have a problem with him saying no in season change. Don't like it but I get it. He's defeinitely not going to say we'll analyze at the end of the season leave too many questions. So he's going to say he'll be here. I find these press conferences not to be much. Let the last 6 play out. If it goes well then he'll be here. If it's been like the dumpster fire it has been before this week then they'll be a change. It's Nov 13 things can change one way or the other and it can change quick. Scary but they can win 3 of the next 4 and Gase will be a genius HC. They very easily could lose them and the dumpster fire can start up again. Let the season play out (though I admit I have called for Gase to be fired).

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

What this confirms is that Chris is as big a nitwit as we feared. He goes way too far in talking out his ass and making hyperbolic statements. The Jets need to get him a bodyguard whose sole job is to stuff a sock in Chris' mouth whenever he starts to open it in public. An experienced owner/executive knows better than to ever say never. Let's look at this dweeb's statements:

1, When he hired Gase, he said Gase is where football is going. Now, even Gase's most fervent supporters wouldn't go this far. When Chris suggested that Gase is the second coming of Bill Walsh, it made it very difficult (impossible?) to fire Gase when he turned out to be the second coming of Rich Kottite.

2. In today's statement, Chris is telling us that there is nothing Gase can do for the rest of the year or in the off-season to get fired. Isn't that going way too far? The team loses out (unlikely) and looks like crap for the rest of the year (more likely)? No problem. The locker room rebels and half the team demands to be traded? No problem. Gase and Gregg Williams get into a fistfight at the 50-yard line? Don't sweat it. Gase gets caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl? No problem.

Bottom line. Chris, the poor little rich kid who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, is telling the disgruntled fan base to fuck off. Just be good little boys and girls and buy tickets and merchandise. and continue to line Chris' pockets..

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Adam Gase’s first year as the Jets’ head coach has not been a great success, but the team’s top decision maker said on Wednesday that he will get a chance to do a better job in 2020.

Jets CEO Christopher Johnson is running the show while his brother Woody serves as the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom and he spoke to reporters about Gase’s future on Wednesday. Johnson said that he’s disappointed with how this season has played out, but that he’s not going to make a second coaching change in as many years.

Johnson said that Gase will not be fired before the end of this season and that the team will not make a coaching change after the season either. Johnson cited General Manager Joe Douglas and quarterback Sam Darnold in his statement of support for Gase.

“I want to assure you there will be no changes in coaches here,” Johnson said, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “Adam has the trust of this team. He has the trust of Sam. He has Joe’s trust. He has my trust. He’s a good man. He’s a good coach.”

Johnson said he gave the team the same message last week before they beat the Giants 34-27 for Gase’s second win as a member of the organization.

7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Chris isn't telling the fan base to fuck off.

He's telling YOU to fuck off so Gase and his team can get on with winning more games.

9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Would have much rather CJ say Gase will be evaluated after the season. As much as I am not a Gase fan, I do believe he didn't have much to work with due to lack of OL talent & injuries. He seems to have the support of Sam & Joe. Last week he said Sam came to his and openly told him what he likes to run & what he was comfortable running. Gase was open & even liked the idea of Sam's input. We'll see what we do the rest of the season. So far I like the fact the we opened the last 3 games with TD's. Seems like there making progress. Time will tell.

King Koopa and FJF like this.
  10. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

But we don’t want to win, and we,don’t want Gase! Can’t we have our cake and eat it to? Lol no just continue to show growth and progress and I’m happy!

Pepsiguy5 and Footballgod214 like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"Great news"? I was expecting you to tell us that you just saved a bunch of money on your car insurance..... :confused:

12. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

LMAO....and why would anyone expect anything else?

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No surprise here..this is exactly the same script the Owners ran with Bowles

It's "no hurry" .."low expectations" ..."hopeful that after all these terrible injuries are over we be better"

Gase will go 4-12 and doesn't have to sweat it

The winning could continue only if Gase listens to Sam to design plays for him

Of course, in close games and tougher completion all bets are off

14. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

The blind leading the blind leading the blind! Lol

15. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Mediocrity has a firm grasp in the Johnson gene pool.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He will also get a chance to do a worse job in 2020. Much worse.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I still think he's gone if the team implodes. I mean if they implode against this schedule, keeping Gase would be a PR nightmare.

I dont think the team will actually implode, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they won like 4 more games.

6-10 is where are lot of people saw this team being before the start of the season, so I could see a bit of justification there.

19. This could get real ugly & if it goes a certain way could seal the Johnsons’ fate as owners.

Jet fans are done crossing years off the calendar waiting for ownership to take a stand for winning football

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This guy just doesnt get it and never will...Adam Gase will have the same record next year then what?Adam Gase will never have a winning record here..

ColoradoContrails likes this.