WR squad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Nov 10, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...CEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

4 ties him for 18th. he also has one of the highest drop % since he has less targets then many people above of. I will admit It felt like a lot more then 4 though but 4 is alot. I see deebo samual has 4 as well and it feels like he's dropped a ton. I think they are generous. deebo dropped like 2-3 on monday night alone. also according to that crowder has 3 but on 50% more targets and anderson has 0

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So we'll ignore catch rate right?

FJF likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

not ignoring it, but catch rate doesn't say much. it's not a WRs fault of a QB overthrows or underthrows him. it is his fault if the ball hits him in the hands and he drops it. Darnold has been off all year on the deep ball to robby. his catch rate would be much higher if darnold was throwing better. darnold also missed smith for a wide open one too on that flea flicker. he seems like his timing is off

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. There's always some sort of circumstantial evidence as to why Robby Anderson doesn't produce more. You're also the person that advocated for the fact that we can't hit deep balls because the offensive line sucks. That's true. But then why doesn't Anderson catch more balls in the intermediate area? He's getting the targets. It's not like Darnold only overthrows or under throws him, and not Thomas or Crowder.

FJF likes this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

All right.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/robby-anderson/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/demaryius-thomas/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jamison-crowder/

Pay special attention to "Contested Catch Rate."

Robby the Twig gets about 10%, Demaryius? 42.9% Crowder? 60%

Another stat to look at: Yard per target.

Robby is at 7.1. Demaryius and Crowder are both at 7.5

The stats above does show Robby has a reason to show lower catch %. He is strictly a deep threat and nothing else. (His otherwise inflated Yards/Catch stat say just that.) If Darnold overthrows or misses him by a yard or more, then it is deemed uncatchable, and in case of Robby, uncatchable balls consist of huge % in his target number.

The stats above show the "true catch rate" for this reason; and Robby and Thomas come about same at around 80%. Crowder stands out at 90%.

#65 Zach, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    BrowningNagle and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

"But Robby has been running routes that create throws that are much harder to complete the catch on."

Just wait for it. There's some circumstantial reason Randy Moss Jr. isn't producing more.

7. GasedAndConfused

I mean if it walks like a duck. Have you not seen how many times sam has missd robby for what would be a 40+ yard TD this season? at least 4-5. he also missed smith for one. Robby also doesn't get to choose the routes he runs and no he's getting less targets overall. gase is mostly using him as a distraction to open up the underneath stuff for J and DT and to take a deep shot here and there

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

he's not that kind of player. I never said he wins jump balls. he's not physical enough for that.

yards per target is calculated by total yards divided by targets. meaning again sams overthrows lower robbys numbers. If sam hits on at least 3 of those 5 misses robbys number shoots up to around 10. if he hits on them all it's around 12

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yep. You said it. At this current state of OL, how many of these 5-yard separation can Robby get in a game?

So do you agree that, at this particular situation, Robby is nothing more than luxury?

10. GasedAndConfused

I'd say he is a necessity. WR even now is a group that could be improved as a whole. take robby out and the hole gets bigger. a luxury was leo which is why we traded him. only way robby would be a luxury is if smith and berrios started to outplay him like foley and phillips outplayed leo. so no I don't agree. we can fix the o-line but removing robby means we'll need to replace him with another deep threat and right now we have more to replace then we can

11. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

We'll agree to disagree. I don't dispute your logic on the need, just the priority. This game is still won/lost up front. Until that is fixed, the rest is window dressing. WAY to early to tell is Austin will be ok at CB for the long haul and while you do have to put up points to win, you also have to keep your opponents from matching you point for point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't you understand hidden production? ;)

Zach likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

You realize that very seldom are "deep threats" kept on rosters to solely run that one route. Ted Ginn's longevity is sort of an anomaly in this realm and he's been all over the league throughout his career. Not a coincidence. He's a nice 3/4 receiver.

If you're going to be a deep threat and not much more, your not going to have a very long career or you'll be a 3 or 4. Which is all good. But that's all Anderson is at best

Anderson doesn't catch screens, slants or shallow crosses and can't break tackles after them. ALL GOOD, right? He's going to catch balls on the sideline and run 9 routes all day. Hmm, well if the corner is within a couple yards of him, and they usually are because he rounds off his routes, they'll get to him before the catch is secured and he'll drop it.

We've seen that. Ok, fine. Deep routes and double moves. He connects here and there. I'm not paying him what Keenan Allen makes to do that. He can hang around as a deep threat if he makes minimal money. Beyond that, we can roll with Vycint Smith if he's going to want $10+ million.

FJF likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Yep. Just like Leonard Williams. They draw so much god damn attention with double and triple teams that ANYONE can play next to them.

Why do you think we have a top NFL offense and are absolutely destroying teams underneath and in the running game?! Robby Anderson baby.

Oh wait..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fine. No one said that we had to agree. I understand your reasoning that CBs are more important than WR, especially after the way our "CBs" (and I use that term lightly with our group of CBs) have played this year, and at least if both Thomas and Robbie are back, we will have somewhat competent WRs, and unless Austin proves to be, we don't have any CBs that are even remotely competent. That said, there is a LONG list of prospective FA CBs https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cornerback/ If Douglas can re-sign Poole, sign one or two of those guys, or add Hargreaves now and Austin is just a good depth-type CB. We should be good with at CB if we've also added an edge rusher. Conversely, there isn't a good group of FA WRs for next year. If we don't re-sign Robbie or Thomas and Enunwa isn't back, that leaves us with one slot WR (Crowder). Douglas would have to draft 3 WRs. That just won't work.

We are in agreement that the game is won/lost up front. I think our DL is just fine. I trust that Douglas will fix the OL. After that happens, I think the two big priorities are weapons for Sam and an edge rusher. If we add a quality edge rusher, opposing QBs have less time to throw, and one can get by with lesser quality CBs. We're not going to be able to fix everything in the upcoming offseason. While you also have to keep your opponents from matching you point for point, we can always fix the CB position in 2021. It won't hurt Sam's development or the team that badly if we go that route. Conversely, if we worry about fixing the CB position in 2020 and leave fixing the WR position until 2021, that could cause Sam to bust. In addition, this is supposed to be a great, deep class of WRs. IMO the best way to work the draft is to draft to the strength of the draft. Thankfully, it's also a great draft for OL. As of right now, we have 6-7 draft picks (they are showing that we have a 6th round pick, but I believe that we traded both our original 6th round pick and the one we got back in the trade for Osemele, leaving us without a 6th round pick As of today, we have a 1st, a 2nd, two 3rds, a 4th, a 5th, and either an additional 4th or 5th from the Leon Williams trade. IMO the draft should be at least two, if not 3 OL, an edge rusher and two WRs. If we have an additional pick and Douglas wants to use it on a CB fine.

#75 NCJetsfan, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    mrjet80 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

i mean randy moss the greatest deep threat of all time? there have been a ton of WRs who made a career out of being that but reality is robby is much more. ghase just isn't using him well this year. robby was sued much better in 2018 and 2017 which IIRC was bates and morten as the 2 OCs in thise years he ran the full route tree. this year gase pigeon holes everyone. robby only goes deep, crowder only goes underneath, DT gets all the WR screens and bell runs 99% of the tim up the middle for 1 yard. In this offense randy moss in his prime couldn't hit 1k yards in a year

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Browns released Antonio Calloway. I’m aware he’s got off field issues but I’m hoping we take a shot on him. There’s very minimal downside.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

is this English?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

great job Zach

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Nevermind