First Overall Pick?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BamaDoc, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The absolute worst reason for doing something in a certain way, in life, in business or here is "because that's the way we've always done it."

The way the Jets have always done it has been unsuccessful. If the incumbent is a clear cut winner, it's not something that needs to be done. Darnold is not that today.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Charley Winner......although they did rip off 6 straight to close out 1974 against some pretty decent teams. 1975 was a mess....

3. Ralebird

Another guy who should never have been hired.

4. mrjet80

Weeb's son in law...….the job should have gone to Michaels.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way. But I'm telling you the fact that teams have essentially never invested heavy draft capital or money into two quarterbacks to let them battle it out.

Didn't the late 90s Bills mess around with it with Rob Johnson and Flutie? I don't really know the circumstances and if Flutie kept getting hurt or what. I do know they both played some games each year but I don't know the level of investment in each.

You'd also be looking at paying both double digits. It just doesn't happen and likely for a reason. There's also no way to develop two guys at once. One QB gets all the reps throughout the entire season. They don't make the entire team stay after so the backup can get some work in. They don't have the time allowance from the CBA to do so anyway.

It'd be a waste. If we bring a new QB in in the first round, Darnold is toast.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well they were TERRIBLE before they got him, thats how they got him. They are decent now but also had the luxury of tradibng their 3 to us a couple years ago and get more picks to build their line because they had Luck.....lets be fair

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

The time to do such a thing is while both were on rookie contracts, that's not a waste. The decision whether Darnold is toast is completely up to Darnold. Competition brings out the best in the best.

8. mrjet80

I really think it's such a shame that the porous OL, bad coaching, and quite frankly a lot of bad luck has caused many fans to begin to doubt Darnold's abilities. I understand it's hard to watch but with the combination of those three issues I cannot give up on Darnold eventually being the guy. The Dallas game was only 3 weeks ago. A young QB doesn't just go from great to horrible in 3 games. Rewatch the Dallas game. His footwork was fine, he was rolling out, arm strength no problem, reading blitzs no problem. He did throw the one bad pick. A bad OL and the beating he has taken in the last three weeks will cause a young QB to begin to doubt himself especially when game plans are inexplicitly designed away from his strengths.

I don't think Darnold can fairly be judged as " the guy " until he is given half way decent protection and much better coaching for starters....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Ok. We'll see what NFL franchise uses two top 5 picks on quarterbacks and keeps them both on the roster.

Kliff Kingsbury is a zaney new fashion guy and he didn't want anything to do with that. And I'd imagine it likely will not happen. But we'll see.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Sam still gets time in my eyes. This season is a bit of a wash for him. That's why I want Gase gone. Because I want a completely fresh start with him with a guy that's proven to work well with young QB's or just a good head coach in general. Gase has not proven that regardless if the entire world is stacked against him or not.

11. mrjet80

Gase is a QB " whisperer "......I have to laugh at whoever came up with that one. Like he made Peyton ?

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The one person who molded Peyton.
    [​IMG]

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’d love to see some trade downs

the team has really bad depth and volume picks (assuming they hit) in the 2nd and 3rd round are critical

14. Jonathan_Vilma

We also tried that route as well in 2011. "Offensive consultant."

I think I'm done with anything pertaining to consultants or more importantly Peyton Manning when it comes to the Jets.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I feel Sam is playing shell shocked in the pocket. He has no confidence in the o-line. Last year he had better pass protection & he played very well the last 4-5 games. 6td & 1int. All he needs in to gain confidence in the o-line, which will hopefully be improved next year. I also think he feels he needs to make a play on every down in stead of throwing it away. Both these problems are fixable. We need an o-line to get his confidence back & that will help his decision making. He showed too much good last year to bail on him ....he's only 22 & still learning the game. I say build around him.

16. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

Just give me someone who knows how to design and call a good offensive plan. If the plan is good young QBs will learn well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

17. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

They drafted him after 1 bad season, 1. Not every season bad and not making the playoffs. They are well run and well coached so after Manning they had the 1 bad year, every season around that 1 bad season they made the playoffs. How is that terrible? They got a QB and then coached him up. Don't be surprised if they draft a QB next year and make him look awesome. If you aren't well coached and run then it doesn't matter who you pick. Who is in the running for MVP at QB this year? Mayfield? Darnold? Allen? Rosen? No the guy picked at 32 in the same draft, Lamar Jackson, because the Ravens know what they are doing, if we drafted him he would be a back-up like Rosen because we don't know what to do with him.

Jets81 likes this.
  18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member