Jets to be patient with Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Nov 9, 2019.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets won!

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets won!

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We didn't win twice... :confused:

stinkyB and dmw like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Too bad.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Meh..

All this Victory means is that we need 7 more weeks of Fire Gase banners..

Without that motivation (which could be at work here affecting players and coach) I am not holding my breath to see if we win out

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Johnson :He is coaching to where football is going....

I still cant belive he said that....We barely got by a brutally bad Giants team today we could have easily lost today.

7. ColoradoContrails

Yes. All those ready to anoint Gase as a good HC ought to understand that the Jets EASILY could've lost today - it went down to the final second for chissakes! And if they HAD lost, it might have meant Gase getting fired, not praised.

Anyone who saw the game should've been able to see that this was pretty much the same playcalling, with a few wrinkles. Most of the good stuff came from Darnold off script, or making plays out of his ass when his protection collapsed - in other words, the play sucked, but Darnold made it work. THAT is the difference. NOT Gase.

Sadly, winning today assures us of Gase surviving to the end of the season.:mad:

8. LongIslandBlitz

Jamal Adams wrecked the Game for the Giants...9 tackles,2 sacks,and a fumble for a TD.Jamal Adams and Darnold won this game today not Gase.

Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Yes, Adams was a difference-maker too...for a change.

10. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Here's the problem as I see it:

1) I haven't seen a lot of good things out of Gase...he doesn't seem very creative for an "offensive guru", he doesn't seem to be able to adjust for the poor construction of the team during his game planning (i.e. would Belichek have only two wins w/ this team) and I didn't think he was particularly good prior to joining the Jets so he doesn't get any benefit of the doubt from me. My gut reaction is to want him gone, but could I swear on my kids that with a well constructed roster he wouldn't be an ok coach, nope...But I'm thinking best case scenario he's probably the Mark Sanchez of coaches...he can probably win with a great roster, but the team won't win because of him and may lose in spite of him with an average or worse roster. We could definitely do much, much better than Gase yet we seem more likely to be stuck with him for two years which is unfortunate

2) The roster...admittedly I was a Mac apologist as I probably was too optimistic that the Jets finally hired a guy with a personnel background just to learn the guy was just not that good at running the whole show and probably more suited to a much smaller roll. I do think JD is the real deal based on what I've read as it seems everyone in the league thinks very highly of him. I can't remember the last time the jets had someone in the GM roll who was this highly respected so that's encouraging. I really do think JD is the long term solution here.

3) Spoiler alert...Ultimately the leadership at the ownership level is very bad and the route cause of the teams problems. I think I read that CJ fired Mac late as he didn't feel confident in running the coaching search by himself so he kept Mac on to help him find the coach. Ironically, IMO, they then hired the wrong guy and replaced Mac after that part was done. So all of that just to hire the wrong coach. If they did the reverse and fired Gase and allowed JD to lead the coaching search I think we'd be in very, very good shape...Because of JD's 6 year contract, the respect JD seems to carry in the league and having Darnold I bet we'd have genuinely good coaches who'd be interested in this job, but think we'll unfortunately have to wait this out for another 12 months to find out, which is so frustrating. I don't think Gase should be fired after the season because the team only has two wins right now, I think Gase should be fired after the season because he just doesn't seem to be that good at his job and we're just prolonging the inevitable (i.e. throwing away next year prior to it starting by keeping Gase)

4) Finally, the most insulting part is that because we beat the Giants the writers seems to be writing that some pressure is off Gase...As if to say "ok, you got a second win, you get some breathing room". Man....How low have we set the bar with this franchise that after witnessing this level of bad coaching that getting win #2 eases the pressure on the coach. This again goes back to the poor leadership at the org level. Sports is the one place in all of business where the results are what they are, how many wins did you get? There are plenty of metrics to explain why you won or lost, but your record is your performance no matter the reason. This ownership group does not know how to make good decisions for this team on a consistent basis and almost makes you feel that any good decisions were stumbled into. I think JD was a good hire, but seemingly Gase made that happen (i.e. they stumbled into it). But I really do feel that they finally have a guy in JD that is prepared to make really good decisions for this franchise and if they could just do the hard part for him (move on from Gase) they'd be in really good shape. If they can just find that good coach to compliment JD I think we'd be in really good shape for the long term as the most ironic part is I think the Johnsons don't want to have to tinker with this thing at all...If they could just get out of their own way on Gase and cut ties with him sooner than later, I really think the whole thing falls into place for them and the team.

#50 RedRoute1, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2019
    Wahoo, stinkyB, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Just when you think Gase may go..WE WIN. What a mistaka we maka..
    [​IMG]

12. LongIslandBlitz

This win will set this franchise back atleast 7 more years

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Beating a garbage Giants team doesn't mean anything to me and the same flaws that Gase has as a HC popped up during the game (bad playercaller, not creative, goes away from what's working far too often, seems to script a drive perfectly, then goes bust for long stints).

If the Johnson's are ok with mediocrity (which seems the case given the time spent waiting for Bowles and Macc being here) then sure bring Gase back. But we are a bad football team with huge holes across the most important positions in football and our HC has not done enough to mask our flaws.

Mike Tomlin lost his starting QB, lost two of his best players (Brown and Bell) and still fielding a competent team. There are instances of coaches being able to do more with less (Cliff Kingsbury doing this in AZ).

Gase isn't right for this team

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Makes sense. The most penalized and injured teams in football are routinely the best.

stinkyB likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Per Denis Waszak Jr - Jets owner Christopher Johnson says there will be NO changes to the coaching staff during the season OR after. Adam Gase's job is safe

Jets fans who still have season tickets should cancel them

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Just curious, do you just throw out random numbers or do you have some basis for the 7 year setback?

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If this is the plan, count me in.