What trades will the Jets make in the 2020 off-season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Because we have to work on the assumption that Douglas will draft well.

Even if he doesn’t, having Adams isn’t winning us anything now.

If we don’t believe the Jets will ever be capable of drafting well, then there’s no reason to ever watch again.

NCJetsfan, JetBlue and Donttasemebro like this.
  2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

It is very early in their careers, but I already feel it was a mistake. I wanted Josh Allen so bad. We could have made any trade with the Raiders, hell a 5th rounder or less, swap 3/4 and then take Allen. Would have been such a great pick.

NCJetsfan, stinkyB and JetBlue like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Taking Allen would've been the right pick at the time.

Allen had started 39 games as a 3 year starter at Kentucky with 31.5 sacks and 42 tackles for a loss (220 total tackles). Without playing on the Nation's top defense for NFL prospects mind you.

Quinnen Williams was a true 1 year starter (24 games to be fair as he got some run as a redshirt freshman) with 10 sacks and 26 tackles for a loss, on a defense routinely loaded with NFL prospects.

To be fair, I think Q. Williams is incredibly talented. Defensive tackles often have a steeper learning curve than most positions in the NFL too. Seldom do players follow Aaron Donald's career trajectory of immediate dominance. I think that's in part because they're usually able to just physically dominate in college whereas technique is required in the NFL.

I think his floor is a good run stuffing nose tackle, while his ceiling could be a prime Fletcher Cox kind of player. He also appears to be a great kid.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on it.

Other teams may WANT to pry him away. Jets shouldn't.

Creating a hole just to fill up another is not a good winning formula.

Mr mittens likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

It seems to be working out OK for the Raiders. Traded their two best players for a load of draft capital to rebuild the rest of the team that are all on rookie deals. They didn't have to pay Mack nor Cooper as they Cowboys will this offseason. Maybe be even leaves and comes back?

Or we keep him and potentially get nothing when he leaves when we don't want to pay him the richest safety contract in NFL history...

We should honestly follow the Raiders blueprint. Get rid of players who want big contracts and beef up the lines on both sides to protect the QB. It would've worked out even better for them if AB wasn't a complete douche.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Why don't you trade all the "good" players with 1st round picks then? If compensating them with salary is such a big concern for you?

And if Adams does want to be paid like the highest-paid safeties, then Jets did a piss-poor job selecting guys with characters anyway. [And his play, while good, does not warrant anything like that.]

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean I'm all for it. This team is a disaster that need a completely new roster. If I could dump the entire thing for 32 draft picks I would.

Adams is a nice player. He's not worth what Landon Collins got. Look how well that signings working out for them. If you think he expects anything less you're crazy.

A good not great safety with a big mouth on a bad team that wants a huge contract is not a good building block.

Dierking likes this.
  8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I agree. If you get multiple picks for Adams, you take it. You need to buy low and sell high..if a 6th overall pick then nets you two firsts and your team stinks...you take it.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Unfortunately he won't get that though. I'm expecting a later first and a third at this point especially if he keeps putting Miami games on tape.

We already showed our hand, even if we really did only take calls. A first and a fifth for example is good with me. Good players can still net good value back even if the league knows they need to move them but I think his value lies around there.

Nowhere near the 1 and 2 2nds we asked for but I'm glad Joe set the bar high.

10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t wish to trade Adams. It depends too where the team’s draft picks are.

So what if is a team that has 24th pick in first round? That team in my opinion is going to have to offer a 2nd round plus next years 1st imo. It s a pretty steep drop off from say 6th to 24th.

so can’t just say if they give us a 1st and 2nd , you pull the deal. It depends where in the draft we are getting.

This Douglas playing smart requesting a lot from Cowboys.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I would gladly take #32 and #64. Obviously you want top 15 picks but there's still a ton of value in those spots. It's when you start getting into the fourth and fifth rounds where the talent, especially at the end of the rounds drops off. We won't get a first and a second IMO.

12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t mean the players stock dropped off . I mean trade points value.

if you use some of the trade point value system #6 is worth 1600 pts while 24th is 740 and 56th (2nd rd pick) is worth 340. So IMO not enough plus you lose one of your top defensive player. A team is going to have to give us another pick.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean but you're trying to drum up a trade based on exactly where he was selected and that's simply not how organizations assess value. We'd be lucky to get a first plus plus honestly.

14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

We will have to see. I think we are all in the agreement here that we would like Douglas to acquire draft picks especially within the 4 rounds to improve the roster and hopefully get quality impact players.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Because Adam's talent is wasted with no pass rush. Also, Darnold's and Bell's talents are wasted with no blocking. In addition, Darnold is psychologically damaged with no offensive blocking. Hopefully, he can recover.

16. WoodyHarrelson

Well then we keep him.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

So we keep him and pay a strong safety with 2 career interceptions $18 million per year?

18. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Trubisky sucks too!!! So the jury may be out on that one...

19. WoodyHarrelson

Might as well...unless we want to splurge on players like Jameison Crowder and co.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah, true. Fuck it. We'll roll with Chuma Edoga at left tackle next year while we're at it.