Starting to question Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Nov 5, 2019.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Have to give him the offseason and see what he can do in FA and the draft. Don't forget Douglas not only came from a winning organization like the Eagles but he also worked and learned from former Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore. Ozzie was a great GM for the Ravens as two Super Bowl trophies plus being a contender year in year out prove. I think Douglas will be fine. My concern is that dumb and dumber (Woody/Chris) interfere and won't let him have total control of the football operations. He is the only one currently in the organization who can fix this mess.

NCJetsfan and Quinnenthebeast like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Is he even running things or is he just Gase’s bitch?

3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Thats silly to say. Other franchises have been just as unsuccessful as we have and they don't have the toxic fan base we do.

Its not like we're the only team to not win a super bowl in the past 30 years.

We had 2 bad GM, who made bad decisions, and prior to that, we had a good GM, who felt pressured to make bad decisions to rush a product on the field by signing big name players to fill voids.... Honestly we should have won one of those years

But neither has produced longterm success so we need to do things differently. Joe hasn't done anything yet, when's he had a chance?

Hell he got Hairston who's outplayed our 100 ml
    Billion dollar CB

Let's slow it down people. Geez I know nobody truly expected all this but seriously can we use logic here?

Were down FIVE ilbs, injuries all over this team and OL is ass because been ignored by one of those bad GMs. No coach or GM is going to win when that happens.... Anywhere

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Again, the patience level of this fan base is pretty short now. I don't see any fans putting in the 5+ decades that a lot of us old timers have. No one is interested in excuses anymore. Only results matter. That's why I say if we weren't getting smoked week in and week out, the fans wouldn't be so hostile. Its the constant losing that has just worn this fan base down and for good reason, we're sick of it. Its not JD's fault. Its Chris Johnson's. Since he's not exactly coming out to the press weekly, the fans have no one other to focus their anger on than Gase and JD. Considering no one really wanted Gase in the first place, its understandable that the anger has grown exponentially. God help the team if they lose to the Giants on Sunday.

horsehead and SOJAZ like this.
  5. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

Very good point. I asked this same question in an other post. I don't think he did.

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Focus their anger on? Why do they have to focus it on anyone? It's an injury ravaged team, nobody can predict or control that. How do you expect a guy who hasn't practiced with this team all season or limited to come in and play to the level you're expecting. This whole mindset is irrational. Let the Pats have the number of Injuries we have hit that team, see how good they'd be.

Talent wins games, we have none of that

FJF likes this.
  7. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

He needs to hit on this draft, just like we did in 2006.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If Gase remains our HC there will be a ton of reason to question Douglas.

If they decide to gut this team for a full rebuild in Gase’s image, thus completely ruining Darnold, I’ll be calling for Douglas firing as well.

#48 BacktoQueens, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    SOJAZ, Yorkshire Jet and Cman68 like this.
  9. Cman68

Because WE are sick and tired of the losing year after year. Other teams have injuries and survive them. Its part of life in the NFL. This team was 14-34 BEFORE all the injuries. now they're 15-41. Maybe if the PR dept hadn't oversold this team to the fan base trying to gin up interest and enthusiasm. Perhaps if at the beginning of 2019 they tamped down expectations and had simply asked for patience like they're doing now.

Nobody cares about the injuries because it was the GM/HC's job to stock the roster with guys that can play at this level. Hard to imagine out of 53 guys, we only had perhaps 10-15 guys that could play at a reasonable level. Isn't TC the time for player evals? WTF were they doing all summer? No one cares about excuses anymore.. Results matter.

Look, I'm not saying run JD out of town on a rail, but he doesn't have another 3-5 years to show some improvement. If Woody does get his useless ass back across the water, he better retire his lil bro before this team becomes a complete train wreck if it isn't already. This upcoming offseason will be crucial to the team's fortunes for the foreseeable future. JD has to get this right. At least some of his DP's have to show promise. He can't duplicate Macc or God forbid, Idzik.

The Clock is ticking on the Jets losing their fanbase's support. I hope the Ownership and PR dept. realizes this before its too late.

SOJAZ and RonPi like this.
  10. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Damn....I started to agree with this and then you made that last comment. The fans probably could run this team better than the current management. Oh, wait....you meant Douglas......:D

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Who was there for this team to get stocked with takent? Who picked the talent? It wasn't the owner or Douglas, it was macc, who notoriously didn't even regard his coaches opinion in many situations regarding personnel.

If healthy, this could easily be a playoff team, I'm not sure why you think so many other teams are so much better than this one when healthy. Injuries and inconsistent play by the OL and the QB have killed the team, they need tk be fixed before we all start our suicide pact.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Have you talked to some of the fans? They're a bit much.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If he doesn’t have 3 years to show improvement the he may as well be fired now. Why do you think he can undo 10 years of drafting in 2 offseasons?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

This is the REAL question, isn't it.........

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think he certainly listened to Bowles' input. There's a reason he went out of his way to try to break the richest contract for a cornerback every other offseason and used two consecutive premium draft picks on safeties in the same draft.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Cman68

Who was the genius who decided to fire the GM AFTER the draft??? Macc should have NEVER been associated with the 2019 draft. In fact, both the HC and the GM should have been fired at the same time but that makes too much sense. This is the other part of Fan Anger that doesn't get discussed enough IMO. Its not just the team Fans are pissed at, its the haphazard way the team is run. Most are sick of Chris Johnson pretending that he knows WTF he's doing. Every bad decision by Chris Johnson sets this team back another year at least. Fans are sick of the ineptitude.

If you want to attribute injuries to the destruction of the 2019 season, be my guest. I'm done with any and all excuses. I want results pure and simple and so far, I'm not seeing it. We all thought the circus had left town for good....

SOJAZ and BrickcityJet like this.
  17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It was well documented that he didn't. Otherwise Kamara woulda been a jet. Mac refused a deal that would have made that happen.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Well I don't know what to tell you, either wait or you have to find a new team because they need t on fix some things.

19. Cman68

Maybe get his first draft right? Perhaps 1 starter? Maybe 2? Am I asking too much here?? If he can draft one or two starters per year and partner that with good FA signings, JD has a good chance of turning things around inside of 3 years.

20. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Not sure this is true, even if healthy, CBs are below average at best, O-line is still trash which is leading to a dilution of the entire offense, we have NO pass rush unless we blitz a safety.

This team still has many many holes even if we had WIlliamson and Mosley. Maybe we would be 3-5 if we were healthy

NCJetsfan likes this.