We Overrated this Roster..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 4, 2019.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Jets are a top heavy roster that remind everyone of the very true thing the NFL has shown - you don't win championships through free agency. Maccagnan blew a ton of cash to update a roster because he not only failed at drafting talent, but his predecessors did, as well.

The silver lining in all of this is as such, Joe Douglas, although not actively looking to trade premium talent, did entertain teams. I'd argue that Joe Douglas recognizes that the only way the jets will ever be successful, is to press the restart button and get rid of some talented players.

I would not be shocked if the Jets end up with closer to 8-10 picks in 2020, because I truly do believe that Joe Douglas will trade away a player or two in order to get more picks.

Joe Douglas also knows we need o-linemen, and I anticipate that much of the offseason will be spent addressing the 3 poorest positions on the team, edge, corner, o-line.

mrjet80 likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think most of us, including me, overrated the OL in the sense that we didn't expect it to be this bad.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

How long have I've been saying that we keep signing these B squad guys?
    Take out Bell and CJ and everyone we've signed is "Low Risk High Reward" bullshit.
    A retired center? Really?
    That screams They operate as a business first and winning is secondary. Period.
    They want maximum profits when if they'd realize that if they went spend and win the profits would follow..
    Nope.

This is usually what these entitled brats do when they want to prove themselves and it almost always backfires.
    Look at Dolan...same shit.
    Get their inheritance, buy some toys and try and show they belong.

They should just step the fuck away. If they want to make money fine but give the control to people who know wtf they're doing.
    This is the sad state of the JETS> rant

Since1969 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think it's really a spending issue. Every team is required to spend whatever the percentage is of the cap within a 4 year period. Maccagnan flung around huge salaries left and right.

The issue is the vision for building the team and talent selection. The Trumaine Johnson shocked a lot of people around the league because he was a poorly rated corner that was a big risk/reward interception player. He got burned a TON but jumped some short routes and picked a lot of balls off. He got Patrick Peterson money.

We were also entirely too focused on getting Kirk Cousins when we signed him that Maccagnan panicked and just signed the supposed best guy left after the dust settles.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

There was several people who thought the Jets were no where near a playoff team.

K'OB, Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is true... I was one of them.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think it's always only been a talent issue. If anything Gase has shown he's great when he has talent.

Problem is, there's no talent here. When healthy this team could compete, but injuries have decimated this team.

The Jets are deficient in 3 areas that really take an average team to a great team. OL, DB, pass rush. Until those things are addressed, nothing else matters

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MDJets likes this.
  8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Let's see how this roster gets with a new head coach, top 3 pick + a full slate of picks this year, and another 80M in cap space after cuts.

Cman68 and mrjet80 like this.
  9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Thus the importance of having a good draf.
    Agree. Those are major holes that I strongly believe can be addressed during the off season. Thus the importance of keeping Adams, Crowder and even Bell for that matter, Else we need more holes to fill. If we can pick up 3 OLs, 2 CBs and rusher via draft and FA that can help us improve . We re still two years away from being a playoff team that said we need draft picks in the next two years and for gods sakes have a decent draft ala 2006!!!!!

zace likes this.
  10. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I predicted 5-11 on here before the season, and there were people responding with scorn and disbelief.

Turns out they were right to scorn it-- but from the opposite direction haha

K'OB, Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The NFL has never been played on paper and whatever you see on paper has been distorted when viewed through green tinted glasses. Some guys here actually thought they read "Montana" every time they saw "Darnold." That can be fixed by simply soaking that paper in a strong solution of reality.

K'OB likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you're talking about Denver, did Gase actually do anything there? Peyton was his own OC by the end of his career.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

We did overrate the roster, but the roster was definitely better than the results we've gotten on the field.

I assumed if everything broke right and Sam/Gase clicked we could've been looking at a team in the middle of the mess at the bottom of the AFC fighting for a wild card.

Everything breaking right meaning Kalil and Osemele are good offensive lineman. Marcus Maye was not only healthy but returned to rookie year Marcus Maye and the safeties made enough plays to cover the deficiencies at corner. Pass rush was pieces together by heavy blitz schemes and Q Williams played well for a rookie defensive tackle.

And then of course Sam progressed.
    Injuries and everything going wrong aside, we still could've (should've in my mind) had three wins and be on the outside looking in with a pedestrian schedule upcoming.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  14. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I really don't think we overrated this roster by much. Maybe a bit. All teams do

But we did not expect this degree of freak injuries and bad luck. Everything that could go wrong did. Wasn't like everyone stayed healthy and just sucked. It started with Avery Williamson and never stopped!

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

good value deals in todays NFL is drafting this guys in round 2-6 and replacing them with someone else.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You have to pay someone, the cba ensures that. The way the nfl works is you pay stars and cycle through the average guys who go to free agency to get paid like above average players. We actually did it right paying bell like a star rather than over paying a JAG.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Until he blows out his ACL again because we have a Thursday morning tackling drill scheduled at 9:30 AM of game week.

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Is Champ's needle stuck? He's saying the same thing over and over again...

Jets81 and jilozzo like this.
  19. FJF

A star player with a torn acl > JAG with torn acl?

20. FJF

Give him a few days and he’ll find a new bone to chew on.