Brian Winters: You Suck - repeat - You Suck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joe, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Great.

Now we're benching healthy starters.. :confused:

FJF likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I understand your argument. And my counter and disagreement in your argument is that the babying of young quarterbacks only comes to fruition when they play shitty. If they can't take some hits and peel themselves off the turf and fight back, they're going to struggle. I definitely don't advocate for it, and he needs to be protected better. But throwing him on the bench so he "feels better" is soft and doesn't so him any favors.

I'll go back to DeShaun Watson. Sacked 62 times in 2018 in his second season. They were down 24-6 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd against the Pats on opening day last year. They ended in obvious passing situations from there on out. Do you think it crosses the Texans mind to put him on the bench so he had a better mindset for the next week?

No. They didn't. He battled and they lost the game by one score.

Jacoby Brissett got sacked 10 times in a 27-0 loss vs. The Jaguars in 2017. They were down 20-0 at halftime, similar to Sam. They didn't go to the backup QB.

It's the way it goes. The kids need to grow up quick.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If he can handle it fine but when it is making his play worse then it is not fine. Managing a QBs pysche is part of the development of a young QB when you see he is overwhelmed and can no longer process and cannot protect himself you don't say sink or swim. You find ways to protect him, give him more time to make decisions, give him quick reads and ways to improve his confidence.

I think it is quite obvious right now that Gase's reckless behavior with Darnold in NE and Jax has damaged him and he is still suffering from the excessive hits and psychological beating he took in NE and Jax. It will take time and patience to get him back to the level he was at before.

Saying sink or swim or I will not baby him is the quickest way to destroy his career.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

I just think there's only so much protecting you can do before they have to sink or swim in terms of saving their psyche. There's also a reason some quarterbacks do sink and some do swim. Watson is a good example of this. There are others.

We need to build the line and protect him better so he doesn't get hit. But he doesn't get to ride the bench to save his feelings IMO

FJF likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

or ya know, Darnold could deal with adversity and get better for it, or, dare I say, overcome it?

Mogriffjr and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I don't think it's babying the psyche or whatever to insist on good protection even if it means more TEs or keeping RB back

He needs confidence and rhythm and we all know re Chad and others how having an injury can really set you back, as team needs to decide whether he'll heal, is he finished, is he 75% of what he was,

this isn't toughen up buttercup to me; it's just good common sense at this point

7. Jonathan_Vilma

But the difference is that Chad became extremely physically limited. If that's the case with Sam then Gase is an even bigger moron for trotting him out there every week.

And if there's a bigger injury issue we're hiding that will come out at the end of the season that plagued him, we're likely to kiss the next five years of free agents goodbye for mismanaging a franchise quarterback injury because no one will want to play here.

8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You all do know Darnold got blasted the play or two before with free runner coming off the right side of the line. And he has a banged up thumb that Gase said might need surgery.

Man, really Sometimes Jets deserve what we get.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Watson has been hit a lot of times behind the Oilers OL as well

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Man, he really didn't feel that guy coming at all, not quite as bad as Petty got that time though.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The snap was timed correctly and in the correct place. After calling for the snap ( high step) Darnold turned to his left leaning over slightly.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

That guy never should have been free. Had the right protection in place, Bell inexplicably left his assignment to help out the LT. He's done the same several times,twice vs NE come to mind.

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if you look at free agent offensive line players for next season 2 of the top 5 highest salaries currently being paid for players due to become free agents at the end of the season are Kalil $8.4m and Beachum $8m

These are all the Jets OL players due to become free agents
    Ryan Kalil $8,400,000
    Kelvin Beachum $8,000,000
    Tom Compton $1,600,000
    Brent Qvale $1,400,000
    Alex Lewis $707,974
    Brandon Shell $643,992

14. TonyFtLaud

Don't know how much was shown on TV but that's not even close to what happened on Sunday.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There was a late rusher coming that Bell picked up.

I've looked at that play over & over.

I don't know what the TE was doing. He didn't even chip the DE that ran by him.

We had 6 lineman blocking 2 rushers...wtf.

17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

That hit on Sam should happen once every 10 years

it was a disgrace

you cannot let your QB get run over, full speed, by a defensive player

gross ineptitude

18. TonyFtLaud

Bell was lined up on the right side, the line was pulling left, Bells assignment was the rusher closest to Sam on the right side. He blew his assignment. It's happened often this season.

19. TonyFtLaud

Seems like once a possession for this team.

20. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

How dare Winters call out his now turnover-prone FQB who is dogging it on the field? Whatever reason for the botched snap, you can’t just stare at the ball there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.