Madison is down, I repeat Madison is shot down

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

stinkyB and CBG like this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Talk about FAKE NEWS,,,I did not order you any wind Brook but your snow is on back order,,,,,,I hope you get power back soon but look at the bright side ( unless you are going to this game ) with any luck your power stays out until after the Jet game so you do not have to watch this disaster ! PS I hope your power is now back up and running

dawinner127, NYJetsO12 and Brook! like this.
  3. Brook!

Still no power my big brother. Taking kids to dinner then we will head to hotel.

CBG likes this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it Brook,,,enjoy dinner with the kids and bonding I hope the power is back soon

Brook! likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LMAO.... going to a hotel because you lost power for the night?!?! :confused:

Geeezus....... Americans are soft......... ;)

FJF likes this.
  6. Brook!

Kurdish people are softer apparently. Lol.

Kidding aside it will be 35 this morning and no reason to sleep home. We got a nice hotel with pool. I rather enjoy pool with my boys and a good shower over cold

7. stinkyB

dude......

Brook! likes this.
  8. stinkyB

CBG is going to send your more gale force winds AND snow just to toughen you and the kids up........

CBG and Brook! like this.
  9. Brook!

I will find CBG, I will kiss CBG

CBG likes this.
  10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Madison have a municipal power company, and not JCP&L or PSE&G? That always struck me as strange. I always wondered why Madison does that.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I will make sure I wear my McDonalds outfit

dawinner127 and Brook! like this.
  12. Brook!

Yes sir. Madison doesn’t use PSEG or JCPL. We have our own company.

We got power by the way.
    This is a legendary response. Lol

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

1 word.... Generac. We were thinking about getting a 10Kw model running on natural gas.

14. Brook!

Grandpa. That's the way to go. But this current house we live in isn't enough for us anymore and we are looking for a new one. Once we get the new house that's one of the things I will do. A generator hooked to natural gas and also a grill hooked to natural gas.

We don't lose power to often but when we do I still want the luxuries I am used to.

But good thing is, last night we discovered that there is an awesome hotel very close to our hotel with the best sports bar ever.

Vanderbilt's Sports Bar. Irony is this hotel is right accross Jets training facility. I wonder if Jet players hit this bar after practice or something.

15. Brook!

The National Weather Service (Mt. Holly) has concluded the investigation into the storm that impacted Madison on Friday, November 1, 2019. They have determined that Madison was impacted by an Enhanced Fujita 1 tornado with max wind speeds of 100 miles per hour. The tornado had a width of 150 yards and length of 4.9 miles. The estimated time of the tornado was 12:23 until 12:28am. A full report can be viewed here:

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?p...YjAu_-c51Y9NZe_44LaZgYL20xmYrBMNCQW607dyQKp3g

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Time to bury the lines nationwide.

California is burning and the Northeast loses power every time a storm comes through. That's the two biggest economic regions of the country and 95% of the area is still living with lines strung on poles for some godforsaken reason.

Brook! likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but then if there's an outage what do they do?? start digging up our cities to find and repair it every time?

18. Br4d

Lines are buried everywhere in the western world. Lines are buried in NYC and Boston and Philly. Why are they not buried elsewhere in the northeast? Because the utilities leverage them for a lot of additional charges despite the fact that most of the overhead grids have long since depreciated off their books via aging, mergers, etc. The utilities won't make heavy new investments in construction to bury the lines and government is not interested in that type of infrastructure project at the moment. Nobody wants to pay for the cost and the vested interests are already getting a regular return on the lines that are installed.

The biggest reason is that the costs of not burying the lines are only beginning to really mount over the last decade for the regional utilities. Most of Connecticut's power is now provided by a Texas energy corp because NELP was doing just fine until the run of storms in the early 10's forced them out of the business. Eversource has the resources to weather a few outright catastrophes before the problem becomes overwhelming for them also. Then we'll likely see the grids nationalized by whatever populist is currently in power and demanding that the citizen's right to reasonably uninterrupted power is paramount.

Brook! and Since1969 like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

you didn't answer my question lol

when hurricane sandy hit, there were faults above ground AND underground. so it appears putting them underground won't protect them from everything .So if everything was strung underground what do we do when there is an outage? start digging everywhere?

20. Br4d

They have tech in place that tells them where an outage likely occurred, not to mention redundancy built-in to prevent single or even double points of failure at any given location. Like the big cities, when a line goes underground they have to dig it up and patch/replace. However the points of failure are less numerous in a buried line. In the northeast it would be frost heaves, which can be accounted for beforehand by proper engineering and flex in the system, sinkholes which are unpredictable but rare in the region, floods (ditto) and misguided utility workers and homeowners abusing backhoes and the like.

Unlike the big cities there is not a lot of other infrastructure (steam lines, subways, water tunnels, etc.) that can burst/break and take down the utility lines also. There will be far fewer workers doing other stuff that accidentally break something else as well.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  21. BrowningNagle

cool. id totally be down for not having to see those ugly wires everywhere anyway. Adam Gase I think grew up under them, which explains a lot