Enough with the "Fire Gase" rhetoric

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenInTheBowl, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Jets and dolphins are about equal talent wise. Plus they were the home team....and the Jets are literally playing with 35 "healthy" bodies.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Sam Darnold turns into a bust that's an indictment of the Jets entire approach to NFL football from the top levels of the organization down to the locker room.

The guy has real talent and he's got the right personality to lead a team through the constant storms of the NY media market. The Jets haven't drafted an offensive lineman in the 1st or 2nd rounds since Tannenbaum drafted his homie Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd round in 2010. That's eating paste in the 3rd grade territory.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I've been very cool to dumping Gase based on the roster. I live in AZ and get every Cardinal feed. That team is overmatched all over the field. They also play hard every play and are at least competitive. Cardinal fans think Vance Joseph's is a dunce and should be fired as DC. My take is the D has Chandler Jones and a bunch of rotational guys on the D line and at linebacker. They are ranked poorly but the effort is really good. I like effort, it shows the players have bought in.

There is nothing about the Jets on either side of the ball that spells bought in. I get there are mismatches all over the field and scheme doesn't change that. I don't like the effort. I can't stand guys getting paid that don't take it seriously. I think Gase and Williams have lost the team.

The problem is who is available and who makes the call on the replacement.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats a valid point. but we did it with every coach 1st timer or not. I'm still conflicted on gase. he's obviously been awful this year. but the team has been plus really injured and the o-line is worse then expected and banged up. I didn't want him at 1st, convinced myself to like him after he was hired, and think he's been god awful, but i'm not sure changing coaches right now is the best move. sometimes you gotta give more then 1 season

5. Br4d

When you have a shitshow like the Jets current season going on you fire Gase and make Williams the interim HC with the expectation that you are going to hire a *huge* name in the offseason and turn the whole show over to him.

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

No they need to fire Gase now cause this QB is regressing by the game, and this team is just more and more of a rudderless ship by the hour (the Adams mess, Winters yelling at Darnold after the safety, etc).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It might be but it also could be that Mac is a dope. Sam, Mayfield and Rosen all look like busts. Watson and Mahomes looked like killers the day they stepped on the field. They were passed over by Mac. We also don't know if Mac would have taken Mayfield.

The idea that there was a plan for Sam by the NY Jets seems ridiculous. We got him and we decided to start him from day 1 because when they picked him up at the airport he seemed like he could handle it.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Don't forget the shit eating grin from Todd Bowles when he fell to us. It honestly looked like the face of a guy who felt he no longer needed to even talk to the offensive coordinator because Darnold would take it from year and instantly be a perennial Pro Bowler.

Maccagnan must've thought the same thing when two years went by and signing Kelvin Beachum would help solve the deficiencies at all 5 offensive line spots because well, Darnold's here!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft...les-calls-No-3-overall-draft-pick-Sam-Darnold

Mayfield was probably the least pro-ready QB of the bunch taken that year but he's also in the best position. That teams an equally bad dumpster fire. It's strange how he pretty much refuses to throw Odell the ball. Stop thinking and trying to read defenses, Baker. Just loft some balls up...

9. Br4d

There was definitely a plan for Sam by the NY Jets. It was the "hire an offensive guru, cobble together an offensive line from other people's discards, sign a big name RB to market and then count on Sam to make up the difference and help us sell tickets" plan. The problem is the offensive guru is a technician not a leader, other people's discards generally were discarded for a reason, big name RB's haven't been a key piece in the NFL since 1975 and how the hell is a 22 year old QB supposed to keep up with those realities let alone make up the difference?

I mean, damn...

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Don't forget that said runningback effectively hasn't played in two years and has never played behind a different offensive line than the one he played with in Pittsburgh.

I think it's a bigger issue that people gave credit for. I also think he's a tad bit less explosive than he was. But for a RB whose entire game is predicated on vision, yeah he might struggle with a whole batch of new blockers.

Plus the whole batch of blockers suck. Every single one outside of Beachum whose hurt

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Calling Gase a technician is giving him too much credit.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

So, a shitty plan.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

14. Br4d

It was a Jets Plan of the sort regularly employed since Bill Parcells left the organization.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The announcer said at the end of the game..."There's more to being a head coach than just calling plays."

Gase just let the clock run down...

The question isn't whether Gase should be fired...he's already quit.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Listen if we want to bring out pitchforks after the season to get rid of him, it is what it is. But midseason? what is the point? we are 1-7, we aren't making the playoffs even if the interim manger comes in and wins games. he's also the OC so sam will have to struggle more with a new OC out of nowhere. Plus what if GW takes over and starts winning? all it does is cost us a draft pick position. Makes more sense to just let gase keep stinking it up at this point. get the top 5 pick. and looks for a replacement in the offseason. A coaching change can't make us lose more games but it could make us win meaningless games. This season is a wash regardless might as well look at getting the best pick we can and giving JD an offseason to make things work. roster wise we have a lot of flexibility. we have all our draft picks in the top 5 rounds and an extra 3rd rounder that should be a high one. out of our 5 starting o-linemen to start the season off, 1 is already cut (KO) and 3 are free agents. winters can also be cut with no cap penalty. so there is plenty of room to fix the o-line. no bad contracts to deal with.

Pepsiguy5 and Sam Hammer like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Because Gase is ruining any hope our QB may still have right before our eyes.

SOJAZ, K'OB, Harpua and 12 others like this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He needs to go today....Johnson is a Billionare i dont want to hear about he has to pay Gase and Bowles etc....That part of it is laughable and isnt a logical reason to keep him...He risks destroying the franchise if he keeps him.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Believe it or not, some of us want to see the team win regardless of playoff positioning. Darnold needs to learn how to win. Should the Browns just have kept Hue Jackson and kept losing last year?

I mean I always want a better draft pick, but I'm always in favor of winning and letting that sort itself after the season. It's a lot easy to build a winner and convince players to come to a team that won 6 of it's last 8 than it is a 1-15 dumpster fire. Especially when we don't have the world's most cap space like normal.

A fresh view on the offense might slow things down for Darnold. He's obviously confused and the offense is disorganized. We can't even get the line and backs to slide the right way in protection on the same play.

Where's Brian Schottenheimer's Sanchez color system when you need it?

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Jets need any other OC.

Any.