Never felt this in 50 years

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Chrisiue, Nov 3, 2019.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Haha, fateful. Even when it was positive we have this ingrained reflex to somehow equate it with a harbinger of doom. Well, fateful does have more than one shade of meaning, but still; and speaking of reflexes, I'll give you reflexes. It's like going to the Dr. for a physical. Forget about that little rubber hammer they hit your kneecap with. Just say the word Jets and your leg will jerk instinctively trying to kick some Jets player, someone on the coaching staff, or the entire FO in the ass. Oh, sorry, you said eventful and I saw fateful. Silly me.

2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

51 years old here and things have definitely taken a turn for the absurd.

It helps if you have another team. For me, I lost interest in baseball in my 20s and never really was interested in basketball or hockey. It was Jets and NFL or nothing. But for the last 10+ years I've been getting more and more into soccer, supporting Spurs in the EPL (I know I know why would I pick the Jets of the EPL lol) and since 2015, NYCFC. It has saved me, I love it and am all in, season tix and everything. Now I keep the Jets at arms length emotionally and just laugh. I still hope the franchise can turn it around somehow and I still watch almost every game. I was at the home opener with my wife and son. I could never "switch" to the Giants or any other team.

However, I hereby adopt the Ravens for the rest of the season!

Donttasemebro and sackexchange like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Nah. Most TVs have auto turn off after a certain amount of hours now.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Been the Packers for me lately.

sozopol likes this.
  5. jetophile

I said years ago, but no matter. I have momentarily forgotten my misery because the Cheats are getting banged in the ass by the Ravens.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m not sure I’d be able to watch NFL again if they went undefeated.

7. jetophile

You and me both. I've been praying for this moment and I'm an atheist.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's a defense mechanism. You have to not care for your own health. This did not happen over night. The Jets have been doing this to us for a long time. This is just the final straw. It is a damn shame. I'm there too.

9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’ve no sympathy for you old timers - at least you’ve seen us win something.

I’m part of the generation that realistically won’t see us win anything before I get cremated. I’ll watch the next few mismanaged 5-year rebuilds and then get my ashes scattered in Kate Upton’s underwear drawer.

10. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I'm not quite as wisened as some of you guys but I've reached that same state of apathy with the Jets. I realized it a few weeks ago when the Eagles set the record for most sacks in a game. Granted I was doing other things while while watching I could only muster a disinterested little "yup" at every sack. Meanwhile, just a few years ago, when they also set the record for allowing the most sacks, I was screaming at the TV every time McElroy ate turf. I tossed a trash can down the stairs in anger at the whole debacle. Well, the can has been taped up and sat quietly in it s corner this time around.

I went through this with the Knicks after they dumped Ewing. I slowly stopped paying attention to team news, then I stopped watching games, then I didn't check box scores or standings and then there was nothing at all for almost 2 decades. I just started watching games again with Porzingis, we saw how that turned out, but I digress. This year I've watched a few more but I'm not even close "invested" in the wins and losses.They win, they win, they lose then they lose.

I'm in the first stage of this with the Jets where I don't know who some of the starters are, or where they came from. My Sunday isn't centered around watching the game anymore. No more I need to get x,y,z thing(s) done before game time. I'll watch, or listen, as the case may be, but more and more often I have found myself saying that I'll just catch the highlights or check the box score later. It's a sad thing to lose your fandom and know you're losing it.

#30 hastygreen, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Jets81 likes this.
  11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I gave up and still watch And I"m 77 years. I just can't afford the emotional trauma this team puts on you so I watch and laugh at myself. As if this isn't bad enough I made my son who is 52 into a Jet fan. I don't put any Jet gear in public.
    [​IMG]

12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Ha! You can't have them. I just claimed them for myself!! Lol, I've always admired that franchise and my daughter goes to school in Baltimore so I kind of adopted them as one of my pseudo-favorite AFC Teams a couple years ago. I remember liking the Earl Campbell Oilers as my second favorite team back in the day when the Jets were horrendous (Richard Todd era).

13. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Man, if you're jealous of us seeing a few brutal playoff losses, I guess that says it all about being a fan of this team!!

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1/2 of me gave up when they left Hofstra and any New York presence behind, the other half left after yesterday, don't care anymore.....shame on this shitshow of an organization making a guy that would sit thru every second of every loss at Shea, feel this way...fuck them!

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I meant the VLT. I'm old enough to have seen all of our playoff losses other than versus the Chiefs in 1969 and the Bills at the end of 1981.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Damn, you just brought me back. I'm 43 but I remember when I was a kid in the 80's/early 90's and my Dad would get the invoice and I couldn't wait to pick out which games we would get (split the 8 games with my Uncle). There was always a little compromise but we'd usually end up with one or two can't miss games a year and that's all I'd think about for months. MNF was such a huge deal back then too. Thanks for the memories.

CBG and jilozzo like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yikes....walton and coslet......u should have at least some scars. LOL

AJW, CBG and JetsNation06 like this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

LOL :D:D Battle tested no doubt

CBG and jilozzo like this.
  19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

been a fan since 77-78 and i can say i could care less right now.

i just sit back and enjoy the incompetence.

absolutely love watching/hearing the melt downs in the media, message boards, and florham park. LOL

Jets81 and JetsNation06 like this.
  20. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

This thread is like when you got told off by your parents, when they are shouting you know you are in trouble, but it's immediate and can be fixed quickly. But when they go quiet and say 'i'm not angry, just disappointed' and they look like they don't know what to do next, then you are in trouble. That was the Jets nation yesterday, just stunned and don't know what to do next. I can not remember a worse loss. Fire everyone except Douglas. Johnsons, Gase and all coaching staff pack your bags. This season just gets worse and worse.

ColoradoContrails likes this.