Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

doubt if we lose this weekend - we'll win 4 games this year and everyone will get lathered up for the offseason.

Gase returns and really drives this into the ground next year , kotite style.

2. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Sam got sacked EIGHT TIMES against Jacksonville. And I don’t even know how many times he was hit besides those sacks. But you’re gonna say he was in the pocket and couldn’t read defenses? Huhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not just always solely on the play caller. The quarterback needs to help themselves at times as well. I mean he knew he was under seige all day. I'm not sure why he was looking for the 14 point touchdown play on plays like the Vycint Smith interception.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah, because I actually watched the football game

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

someone said yesterday he was hit 13 times,,not sure if that is true but it sure is sad----Thanks again Peyton

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He was hurried, hit, or sacked close to 90% of his dropbacks vs. Jacksonville, and I'd bet the numbers the the New England game are pretty damn close to that.

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

That could easily be The "GASE" ,,,oops I mean the case

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Be great. He really is a terrible coach. Imagine if they lose on Sunday. I think this site might crash and people will be outside Florham Park. Could get interesting.

NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

realize its SSOOO easy to sit back and arm chair our disgust and spew out all sorts of criticisms BUT there are just so many issues with this team over the past 40+ years that make even the most uninformed person shake their head.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Our problem goes beyond the playcaller and QB. Our problem is the offensive scheme. Gase's version of the spread doesn't work with us. Nevermind the reasons. We can debate that till the cows come home but the fact that it simply doesn't work remains.

We will never develop Darnold in this offense. Its too unstable to develop a QB. Not to mention being almost useless for the running game. Its time for some more pro set looks.

SOJAZ, Andy_M and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't completely disagree, I just want to see it develop a little more. It's been a wreck only having Sam here for three starts and missing a month of critical early season games.

It does seem predictable though. We only go under center when it's play action or a running play which really telegraph's what we're doing. I will also forever hate the 5 wide receiver set. Regardless of what the personel is or who the quarterback is. It instantly makes the offense one dimensional and leaves you vulnerable to a blitz they leaves one man unblocked.

SOJAZ, Acad23 and ouchy like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll concede that there could be. I didn't get to see the Jacksonville game, but in the NE game I or Dallas game, don't remember his having a lot of time to read the defense. I understands his seeing ghosts comment, but can you blame him? When he's out there running for his life, getting pounded, and frequently doesn't have time to read the D, I can totally get how he would see ghosts. He's not alone, either. Other QBs may not have made the comment about seeing ghosts, but they've developed bad habits like bailing out, not stepping into throws, throwing off their back foot, throwing the ball up for grabs, etc. Fear is a powerful motivator. I can't blame any of those QBs.

Yes, I know that Sam's mechanics were a mess at USC, but did he not make large strides in that area last year? As a result, his accuracy got better as well, correct? If that's correct, then I can't blame him for having issues when Gase has obviously told him to change his footwork and has him thinking about that rather than relaxing and going through his progressions. I know about learning technique and teaching it. That's what I do for a living, and I'm damn good at it. If Gase is overhauling his mechanics, Sam doesn't need to be playing. He needs to be sitting on the bench and focusing on his mechanics. One cannot perform freely and let one's talent take over when one is thinking about technique/fundamentals. You're the one that's ignorant here. Footwork is a basic fundamental to a QB. Remember all the QBs who have struggled adopting to the drops and footwork in the WCO offense? If his footwork feels awkward/uncomfortable, it's very distracting, and he doesn't feel set and throwing feels or can feel unnatural. It's why many coaches in high school and college won't and don't mess with their QBs mechanics when their mechanics are flawed. All the coach cares about is winning, not if the kid is able to maximize his talent and play in the NFL. Now maybe, Sam's fundamentals have gotten screwed up again or he has resorted to old habits out of fear, and Gase has nothing to do with it. If so, then Gase isn't at fault for that aspect, but Gase is still to blame for his stupid protection scheme, for not using more max protect, for not using more quick-read plays etc. to help Sam out. If we can see how bad Kalil and the OL is, then Gase surely can. He saw it for 3-4 weeks while Sam was out sick. He ought to have been making changes so that when Sam got back the protection would have been solid.

A bad read can be just that, or it can be a result of his mechanics being so off that he's struggling, feeling awkward in his drop back or in just getting set to throw, realizes it's time he has to get rid of the ball, and then rushes or makes a bad decision in the heat of trying to get the ball out quickly before he gets pounded.

As I've said, Sam definitely has work to do, but totally blaming him for two of the losses is absurd imo, and way off base.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You know I deeply respect your expertise and knowledge, especially regarding QBs, and I agree that Sam's mechanics are flawed, but sometimes that's just how they operate, and if you try to fix them, you break them. Look at Mahomes - certainly not a model of mechanics. Or John Elway, or Brett Favre. All of these great QBs had/have imperfect mechanics, but they get the job done.

I'm not saying that Sam is that good - yet, or that he can't try to improve his mechanics, but it seems like Gase is trying to completely rework them and breaking them in the course of doing that. At this point, if I were the HC, I would let Sam do what he's most comfortable doing, and put off trying to "fix" him until the offseason. What Gase is doing is like trying to modify an airplane in midflight

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Reading the defense happens primarily BEFORE the snap.

His accuracy is fine...he's just throwing it to the wrong team.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant going through his progressions, not reading the defense.

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Thank you, I was wondering what fking game that dude was watching. I mean 18 sacks last two weeks 34 for the year... the kid has ZERO time to do anything except catch the ball...

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the NFL -style spread offense works for every team in the league

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lets all hope we lose Sunday so the Gase exit plan takes effect...Lets hope the Dolphins get him fired again.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I will be wearing a vintage Dolphins Jersey on Sunday!!!

Bart Scott: Cant Wait!!

20. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

We've had a lot of bad coaches, but I don't think there's been one that I personally can't stand more than Gase. Dude has no leadership skills or coaching skills for that matter. Doesn't know how to relate to players and shows no passion. Easy to see why he liked Cutler. This is why he has to get "his guys".....nobody else has respect for him. i.e Dowell Loggains and how Greg Williams was forced on him.

We've had weak coaches in the past, but this tops them.

Herman Edward and Rex Ryan could motivate

Mangini schemed well and evaluated talented

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.