Priority #1 for Douglas : Build Darnold an OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 27, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you asked. Upon further reflection, my own thoughts have changed. I realized that at least in terms of the NFL, my major problem with this is the issue of the team's salary cap taking the hit. I don't have a problem with a team's owner still having to pay the player. Why should the team be punished because a player suffers a career-ending injury? They're already suffering having lost the talents and use of that player, and the player will still be paid regardless of cap ramifications. I think the NFL should change the cap rules so that when a player suffers a career-ending injury, the team or owners still have to pay the player the contract that they previously agreed to, but that player's contract is removed from the salary cap so that the team isn't penalized.

When players are injured during the offseason in OTAs, mini camp, or training camp, teams can waive them with an injury settlement/designation and there is no cap penalty. Why should there be when it's a career-ending injury?

Donttasemebro likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I agree that there should be some cap relief mechanisms in place for catastrophic injuries, the issue is putting then in place without them being abused.
    Or they could do away with the cap altogether

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Thanks again for asking. It prompted me to re-examine my thoughts on the issue, and in doing so, I decided that my thoughts were wrong. That might not have happened if you didn't ask. Unlike the earlier iteration of myself on this board at times, I have no aversion to re-thinking my position, changing my mind or admitting when I'm wrong. Thanks for challenging me and keeping me on my toes.

Donttasemebro and FJF like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I wonder why teams don't pull out insurance policies on contracts like they do in the MLB.

5. FJF

Probably not worth the money insurance companies would charge to insure nfl contracts.
    The knicks once gave amare stoudemire a contract that they couldn’t find a company to insure due to the condition his knee after the micro fracture surgery.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Agreed that an offense with a bunch of long developing plays is a problem with a poor Oline but Sam is also part of the problem. When he does have time, he’s making piss poor decisions and his ball security has been an issue as well. He has completely regressed from the promising finish to last year.

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

He's actually made great decisions when he has had time. He's throwing jump balls on the blitzes and pressure trying to make a play when things break down. Young QBs do this at this stage.

Darnold is simply making the adjustment to being a NFL caliber QB. He's played the #1 defense twice, #3 (Bills) #5 defense (Cowboys), and Jags D to start off this season. Tough.

8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

All of his picks last game, he had time. Even the one in NE, where he back foot tossed it up for grabs, he had no one near him. The INT in the Dallas game, another poor decision. Most of his picks are on him. He’s getting hit so much on his other throws though so he is assuming there is a rusher there even when he has time and it’s contributing to these bad throws/decisions

9. NYJFOREVER

And doesn't have an offensive line that listens to the quarterback when he makes a call.

I can't believe people actually think Darnold is more than a minor part of why this team sucks.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Didn't the Jets have insurance on a Curtis Martin contract? Or was it Revis?

11. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

DAL INT. Gase shouldn't ran it. It was simply out of sync QB with his WR. I mean if he doesn't throw an INT - Cowboys game is a near perfect game for any QB. especially one coming off Mono cold turkey.

The first NE INT he's throwing off his back foot with a free rusher. Actually Sam called the blitzer but the OL didn't hear him or pick it up. watch the tape. If he has time it's a better throw to the out route.

The 2nd NE INT Robby is supposed to recognize the all-out blitz and peel off the route to the middle of the field. Robby didn't and that's why the defender caught the ball at his ankles.

3rd NE INT - The one to Thomas in the back of the end zone. this was bad Sam. and good D. The TE is wide open on the left side of the field - slightly behind the the OLB - But Belichick masked it because he probably knew Sam wouldn't progress his reads to the TE. But Sam doesn't see it because he knows he doesn't have time to survey the field. He throws a jump ball to Thomas - because of the expected pressure. it's Belichick.

Jags INTs - I don't even care because he was under duress the entire game - it wasn't even fair. How much of this is really a kid trying to give his a team a chance? If Darnold plays it safe - we're a 3 and out all day. and everyone is still complaining.

NCJetsfan, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

Darnold was hit, hurried, or sacked on something close to 90% of his dropbacks that game. The kid lead up 95 yards on 7/7 passing on the first drive, then Gase abandons the quick passing game which let Jacksonville get to Sam. Absolute mind-boggling coaching decision.

SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

especially when you consider the likelihood of career ending injuries in NFL versus MLB. Premiums would be nuts

FJF likes this.
  14. FJF

Here’s the hope everyone needs. This is the attitude this team has been missing. Now that you said it, Joe, go do it

SOJAZ, CotcheryFan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

Loved that comment from JD, I'm expecting a full overhaul of our offensive line this offseason. It won't be easy, but it looks like the Jets will have the draft positioning and capital to get some quality players at premium OL positions.

SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  16. FJF

I’ve been begging for this franchise to build around the qb for 10 years now. This is the first time they have actually acknowledged that they might do it. Now they have to get the right players but at least it’s a step in the right direction. I do t care if we lose high scoring shootouts all next year. Get the offense right. Mercenary defensive players can be added to finish off turning this team into a contender. Next year has to be about the line and some weapons.

SOJAZ, Cman68 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

Douglas was an offensive lineman when he played, and has repeatedly stated that he believes the game is won in the trenches. It's time to Sam the biggest wall this world has ever seen.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fyp. :mad::mad::mad:

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Are you nuts FJF?
    . ."I'd like to open Pandora's Box for $500 Alex?" . : )

\[​IMG]

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Even one of the Jets' better OLs is but a
    Shell of his former self
    [​IMG]

If only it looked like this....

[​IMG]

#160 joe, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019