Jets in talks with Cowboys for Jamal Adams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The crybaby nature of players in general is really turning into an annoying problem. The reason it's especially annoying is because the NFLPA negotiates things like length of rookie contracts, club fifth year options, etc. Their own backing requires them to be under team control for 5 years.

I think Adams will be gone in the offseason and the damage is done. I just think Joe D didn't panic and give him away for less than he can get in the offsesson. You probably had 1-3 teams interested at the deadline. You'll have 12-15 interested as they all look at restructuring their roster.

And for the record, I will boast about my previous comparison. This dude is nearly a clone of LaRon Landry. Good tackler, hard hitting. He'll break up some passes with hits but he's only going to make impact plays when bad balls are thrown right to him.

I also doubt the Cowboys will sign him even if they do trade for him. They still have to resign Byron Jones, Dak AND Amari Cooper. They're going to be in cap hell shortly. I really hope they mortgage their future for Adams because of Jerry's infatuation with him.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think the Jets will trade him in the offseason too. In the offseason you could get more creative, trading him for an offensive lineman for example instead of just draft picks.

I think he's better in coverage than LaRon Landry but that's a good comparison. I've heard multiple color commentators compare him to Brian Dawkins but he's no Dawkins. Remarkably Adams STILL only has 2 NFL interceptions. Sunday will be his 40th game. Dawkins would get like 4 interceptions per year

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Dawkins averaged 2.3 picks per season. But he also played until he was 38 and really became an in the box safety only as he aged. He averages 3.2 picks per year his first ten years in the league not to mention a ton of forces fumbles.

I don't know. I just don't see it. I agree with you. He's a better cover safety than Landry was. He just doesn't make big plays though. The Roy Williams big hit has been effectively taken out of the game. In 2005, Adams would've been better than he is now because you can't hit like you used to. And I think the coaching staff keeps him away from that robber position because of it.

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

So am I getting out of all this that Adams tells the Jets he doesn't want to be traded, Douglas at some point has some discussions with Dallas to see what they'd be willing to trade, Dallas leaks these discussions to the media, media posts tons of tweets about a deal that was never going to happen, Adams' agent tells him that the Jets were trying to trade him.

FJF likes this.
  5. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Agree completely. And Adams is... a *safety* for crying out loud. Is there any other
    market other than here where anyone would pay attention to a safety? Safeties make
    tackles in the backfield on pass plays. A good safety can also sniff out a run and move
    up to make a tackle. Nobody breaks the bank for safeties, but I can see the Jets might
    if Adams drums up enough hype. It's really a testament to the talent level on the team
    that the safety gets to make the most noise. "I'm an emotional hothead, you gotta pay
    attention to my emotional hothead stuff." Honestly, just STFU and play.

Ron

6. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

I love Adams, but getting upset because Dallas called Joe and offered him something to try and get Adams seems a bit sensitive. Joe was never actively trying to move him on. Joe has to listen to what Dallas says incase they say something ridiculous and he has to accept the offer. A bit Naive of Adams to get upset by it. Just keep quiet and keep working on ensuring we don't have a deeply embarassing loss to the phins on Sunday.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It all felt rushed yesterday. If Adams is as miserable as he seems, we will have an months to shop him before the draft. Pending a serious injury, his value should improve as teams could get "desperate" based on how their seasons ended.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

This is the new generation though. I can't distance myself from it too much because I'm born in the same era. But players are no longer keeping quiet when they're unhappy. Front offices and coaches are going to have to adapt and learn to navigate the social media world and the rumor mill and how it may piss off the crybaby generation.

It's just the way it is. Outside of Belichick it's becoming harder and harder for coaches to be dictators and they need to become more like McVay in becoming everyone's friend. That's what worries me more about Gase than anything. If he talks to players like he talks to the media he's an old school football coach.

This is the problem though. You get a player with a bigger ego than they should and they can single handedly destroy a locker room. Not saying that's happened yet but this noise is bad for a team. Which is why I can see him being moved. It's the same reason the Giants let Landon Collins go. And that looks like a really bad contract even for a player that was being talked about as a DPOY at one time a couple years ago.

I would not give Adams a 5 year $85 million extension he's going to want.

9. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

I would just like to know if he tried to call Joe, after his agent told him he was being shopped, and get the full story, my guess would be no. Instead picks the phone up and tweets. Not a good look. I don't take this as bad for Joe, I think it's bad for adams and if he doesn't apologise to Douglas then i agree he ain't getting a big contract from us. We have enough going on without our supposed leader tweeting his beef everywhere. As for Gase, well if he don't beat the Phins Sunday then he will be ancient history. Adams and Joe hopefully can sort this out between themselves, and adams can leave negotiations to the board room and not twitter.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they already said jets are going to try to extend adams in the offseason so highly unlikely.

11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

What yesterday demonstrated was that even a pro-bowl safety and team leader is only worth so much. Add to that his youth and expectation of growth

Why we felt compelled to draft one at 6 is mind boggling. It hard to accept drafting a middle line backer that high and at least IMO that position has more positional value in its ability to truly affect the game

Great safeties are a luxury, not a necessity.

RonPi likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

Reports came out that adams asked to be traded - They were false
    Reports came out JD was shopping adams - they were false
    JD told adams he wasn't shopping him and adams to JD he wanted to be here and not traded - the media made shit up for clicks

donkey and ouchy like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

"is only worth so much" lol we were offered a 1st round pick plus, jets wanted at minimum a 1st and 2 2nds. the fact a team was willing to give us a 1st plus for him and we still felt it wasn't enough is credit to how important he is.

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Yes, but that would be a high first (what was offered), we were not offered a top 6 pick for someone who is a proven winner and proven to be as good as advertised when drafted

And at the end of the day what we wanted is irrelevant. I might want a million dollars for the shoes i'm wearing, if no one else is offering that it's tough to say that's what they're worth...

And to be clear, i am in no way trying to criticize Adams. i love him. to me, it's about positional value. We will probably get a similar offer(s) in the offseason

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It can't be mentioned enough times that Macc should've taken Watson or Mahomes instead of the safe pick. That he didn't forced him to trade three 2nd rounders to move up last year. I still have hope for Sam, but imagine how much further along we'd be if we had Watson and Kamara, Ragnow, and (Braden) Smith. Oh and (Elgton) Jenkins with the 2nd from this year. Ragnow could move over to a G spot.

#255 CotcheryFan, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  16. GasedAndConfused

we got offered the same thing miami did for minkah and turned it down. and minkah is the same position as adams and pitt gave a 1st plus for him. the idea one position is worth less then others is insane. what are the ravens D without ed reed? the legion of boom without earl thomas? the steel curtain without palamalu? evry position on the field is important and anytime you can have a playmaker it makes a big difference in the whole team.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

He doesn't make plays like those players did/do though. He's not a ball hawk. You just mentioned three Hall of Famers in comparison to Adams who has two career picks in three years and one was in garbage time against the backup quarterback.

SOJAZ and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

Dude stop focusing on stats and watch a game once in a while.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't know if that was tampering by the Cowboys. But I want a pick for it anyways.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If the Jets are serious about trying to compete while Darnold is still on his rookie contract, then you don't trade guys like Adams. You don't tear it down and start over when you have a 2nd year QB who is supposed to be your franchise savior.

FJF likes this.