L. Williams Traded to Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Oct 28, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They also look for players with certain characteristics that will fit their systems.

Meanwhile, we had that boob Mac who had no clue which players would fit our systems or which characteristics to look for. All he knew was BPA, and a player who had a lot of potential but who had suffered through injuries or just never lived up to that potential.

2. NCJetsfan

Hopefully, the bolded. I hate the Dolphins, but if losing to them screws them out of the #1 pick and accomplishes getting Gase fired now or at the end of the season, then I want that to happen!

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So the rest of the league is wrong then? ok

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just remember that Robby's worth a 1st rounder. The rest of the league knows he's that good. :p

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK at this pace cincy and miami may tie for the 1st overall. Not sure who would win the tie breaker if both are 0-16 as IIRC it would go by SOS so the weaker schedule and since miami plays 4/16 games against the bills and pats they could wind up 2nd overall at 0-16 and miss out on tua which would be hilarious. I don't hate miami but do take a little joy in their misery. also fuck the pats

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's not a big money player.

The film on him is out there. $14.2 million in 2019 he gave the Jets zero sacks, zero impact. Coaches talk him up all the time but are these teams willing to put their money where their mouth is? Yeah right.

I just read that the Jets chipped in a extra $4 million of his 2019 salary to make the deal happen.

If the Giants re-sign him at big money after the season they're even dumber than they look now for making this deal.

7. WarriorRB28

In this case yes.

I wanted to see what these people claim to see. I tried I really really did.

I think that calling him a good not great football player is a major stretch of the truth. Good not great football players still make plays lotsa plays.

This guy makes no plays, no impact. He's practically invisible the majority of the time.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I know he isn’t a big money player but he’s gonna want to be paid like one. I don’t see Leo and the Giants agreeing to what he’s truly worth.

This was a bad deal on the Giants part.

9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Fair points.

Regarding Leo, if he emerges as a beast, I will maintain we lost for not appreciating him as such, or using him the right way. Having said that, my guess is we saw the real Leo, and he will perform about the same as he has for us.

Regarding OL, generally agree no one gives them away. But i have to imagine there were still opportunities. The Eagles have that backup lineman, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, who started a bit. I thought he might be available, surely others out there

10. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

Well done Joe good value. Williams has never worked out. Will be interesting to see what happens at giants. But he needs a new start and so do we. But this doesn't mean we draft a D line man Joe! O line please! Draft and build O line.

11. NCJetsfan

I would be really shocked if Leo emerges as a beast, but I guess anything is possible. I don't know whether they run a 4-3 or 3-4, but if the former, it wouldn't surprise me to Leo become a much more effective player, making more tackles and getting a few sacks. I hate the 3-4 D alignment and always have. Whereas Leo was the consensus best player in that draft, I thought drafting yet another DT was criminal. However, that was a draft where we at least got some serviceable years out of our #1. I think a lot of those players from that draft were busts, underachievers and marginal contributors.

There may have been a few trade opportunities for OL, but I never believed that Douglas would bite on them. For one thing, one always has to overpay when trading for a player, the Jets don't have many resources for next offseason as it is, and they need all they can get. With the same pick or picks one traded to get someone's backup, you could possibly get a quality starter or two players who contributed as backups.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they run a 3-4. made the switch when schurmer was hired in 2018. they've been trying to fill the personnel for it since. which is why they drafted a massive 340lb NT in the 1st this year. it's also why they traded vernon in the offseason as he couldn't make the switch and played poorly at 3-4 OLB

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

dude give it a fuckin rest huh, he's traded now. that dead horse is dead and beaten

14. WarriorRB28

You're correct.

It's just that the disinformation put out by the media to pimp out this scrub angers me greatly.

Now they're saying he's "expected to command $10 million" per year on the open market. So he has zero sacks so far, zero big plays and he's worth that much? GTHOOH!!!!!

You're correct he's not my team's problem anymore if some team out there is willing to pay him that much so be it.

I'm done with him.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I have to imagine they've talked with Leonard Williams and his agent already about extending. Otherwise this was an absolute disaster for the Giants to trade for an 8 game rental on a non playoff team.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The reason this trade makes sense is because Mac drafted his replacement this year. Without that brilliant move by Mac this would have been an amazingly stupid trade.

Mac's genius is the only reason this deal makes sense. We basically used the No. 3 overall pick in this years draft to get back a 3 and a 4 or 5 next year along with freeing up a little cap space with no guarantee that this years pick will be as good as Leo.

Mac is the gift that keeps on giving.

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Tweet from Conor Hughes

love this

Leonard Williams had half a tackle today in the #Giants (2-9) loss to the #Bears.

That brings his season total (10 games) to 26 tackles & 0 sacks.

The Giants gave the #Jets a third & fifth-round pick for Williams a day before the deadline.

It’s a 3 & 4 if Williams re-signs.

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Anyone know offhand how much he's making this season?

Asking for a friend.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was an even better deal because there was really not much reported interest

They also have a ton of other players like him and have spent a ton of draft picks on defensive tackles just like him, including a first round pick. And they also traded Damon Harrison away a year ago for a 4th?

The Giants are an absolute disaster right now. Gettleman and Shurmur are toast.

20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’m giddy over this trade

our defense has been as good without him

I say EVEN better, but I don’t have the stats to prove it