L. Williams Traded to Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yes
    According to him he is

2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yep

the pick was already down the drain this is just like getting some homeowner insurance money back

But not equal to the original value

3. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

With Leo moved, there's very few commodity's on this roster worth dealing for picks. Adams, Maye, Darnold and Bell may be all there's left and I don't want any of the first 3 moved. I like Bell, but would be worth moving for a decent return.. Never been a RA fan, he seems to have calmed down with the off-field antics, but I could see them resurfacing with anything resembling a guaranteed big money (signing bonus) up front. RA could fetch a 3, more likely a 4, and would probably have success with a team that can protect it's QB long enough to let him use his speed...

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

At least you have room for more after you threw up all over your computer! Gotta consider the silver linings.

FJF likes this.
  5. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Yes, Leo's stats have not lived up to what any of us were expecting out of a top 5 pick. Stats is the key word. It's VERY hard to get tackles/sacks/tackles for loss when you are CONSTANTLY being double teamed. He was just that, being double teamed OFTEN, way more than 50% of the plays.

While I really liked the FA signing of Phillips and he has outperformed his FA signing, he benefited from Leo taking up double teams. I'll be curious to see if the 2nd half of the season, Phillips has the same impact on the field. I'm guessing not, but hoping he does. Same is said for Fatukasi. A guy I liked getting late in the draft and has had a breakout year this season on the field. Let's see what he does with no Leo.

Furthermore, with Leo taking the double teams on a regular basis, this led to our OLB having more free opportunities.. and what have they done with the sack opportunities last season and this season??? Notta. Their impact will likely also lessen as the season goes on.

Lastly, with a "softer" schedule on the 2nd half of the season, perhaps that will help the guys up front.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

“ Leonard Williams Looks Gone To Me “

FJF and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Defensive line is kinda like Offensive line. The premium lies at the edge, and you draft Outside -> In.

How long have the Jets been going against this wisdom? I mean, yes. Jets DID blow 6th on Gholston once. I get it. Wasn't that like a FUCKING DECADE ago?

And Jets STILL haven't solved the edge rusher issue. YET.

===========================

And yet another [GREAT] DL pick goes without living up to the 1st round billing. Yep. Only the Jets.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or, not having a system means you'll be changing coaches every 1-4 tears.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and sackexchange like this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No issue criticizing Adams for a bad game, which he certainly did have yesterday. It’s when the criticism turns to We should trade Jamal Adams is when the conversation turns a whole bother level of stupid.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Ok a surprise trade with whom it was and how much we got in return.
    Part of the growing pains is getting the young guys develop and learn to get through the struggles.

Leave Darnold in and let him go through the struggles and like Aikman hope he gets out of it.

I don’t get why folks want to trade Adams? He is not a cancer nor does he wants out. He part of the franchise and the future.

As much as I didn’t like the Jets drafting Q, you got to give the guy a chance.

Build OL.

Get an impact WR, OLB/DE and CB and that could change things for the better

11. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Better than expected return for the Jets. What is the Giant's thinking though?

12. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

This is a great trade for us even though I don't think Williams was the bust a lot of people on this board apparently think he was. We are obviously going nowhere this and year and were never going to shell out huge money to resign him, so he would be gone anyway.

As far as the Giants go, they aren't going anywhere this year either. It has to mean that their plan is to resign him or give him an extention (which would be great because it turns our 5 into a 4) otherwise this trade makes zero sense for them. At the end of the day, Williams may very well be a good long-term fit on the Giants, who desperately need someone who can help stop the run and already have a variety of skilled players on offense.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Eh, I’m not going to speculate on what he may or may not do. It’s not like he is Sheldon Richardson talking about getting 100m after winning rookie of the year.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it's less about wanting to trade young talent and more about realizing that they're not as valuable as they may seem and we could get a team to overpay.

I don't see Anderson as a valuable piece. He's the best thing we have but that's not saying all too much. His comparison in skill and career Arch is Devery Henderson IMO. Given the off the field history I also don't trust Anderson too much when he gets paid. He had baggage at Temple and he's brought that baggage into the NFL with his arrest last year.

Adams is a different story. But if someone's going to give us a first and a third I mean you have to think about it. Considering the guy has picked off two balls in three years I think we're seeing enough to realize he's not going to be Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu. You're usually not building a good defense around a good tackling strong safety. That's a supplemental piece. Like LaRon Landry was. That's who he reminds me of.

I think we just have different perceived values of the available players.

CBG, NYJetsO12, BonScott and 2 others like this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Trading Adams isn't about him being bad. It's about him being good, which means he's the one player who can fetch a legit return. Which means multiple premium picks that we can use to build a good football team instead of Adams and a bunch of scrubs.

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Adams is a premium player, how many premium picks have the Jets made that actually amount to that.
    Trade Adams for 2 picks has a good chance of becoming trade Adams for 2 busts.

FJF, NCJetsfan and Linebacker712 like this.
  17. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

At this rate Adams is gonna request a trade or leave in FA and I can't blame him.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's pointless to act as if Douglas is going to screw up drafts like Idzik and Mac. Because if that's the case, we aren't going to win whether we keep Adams or not.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Right. And what if it becomes DBrick and Mangold? Or Mangold and Brandon Moore?

Adams is more replaceable than you think. Safeties don't get big contracts and stay in one place unless they're really generational talents. There's a reason they move all over the league.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Except you're asking the Jets to use draft picks to build a good football team.

Other teams can do this, not this one.