L. Williams Traded to Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Oct 28, 2019.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Just as a reminder these are the first few 2015 draft grades for the Jets I could still find online - the 3rd one is from NFL.com...:

"Grade A: The Jets got the best football player in the draft at No. 6 overall, and he happens to be a perfect fit for everything they want to do. OK, yeah: That makes four first-round picks spent on defensive linemen in five years. Yes, they'll have to deal with the logjam somehow and may have to trade for more offensive help to justify this pick. But you don't pass at Calvin Johnson because you drafted Mike Williams, and you don't pass on Leonard Williams because you drafted Quinton Coples."

"GRADE: A Leonard Williams adds even more punch to what now may be the most formidable D-line in the league"

"Grade A General manager Mike Maccagnan must be praised for his astute management of the draft board last weekend. The first-time decision maker showed exceptional discipline and poise while acquiring blue-chip talent throughout the draft. Landing Leonard Williams was certainly an unexpected event, but taking the best player available could help the Jets field a dominant defense for the next five years"

"Grade A- Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson... and Leonard Williams!? Crazy. I can't blame the Jets for this, and I don't think it's a bad pick. On the contrary, I like it a lot. The Jets are taking the best player available, so there isn't much to complain about. Besides, there have been rumors floating around regarding New York trading Wilkerson. That may not happen now, but the Jets could deal him down the road. If they do, they won't have to worry about addressing a need on the defensive line. In the meantime, Williams can provide solid depth up front."

"Grade A Leonard Williams probably will be a difference-maker on defense and the Jets didn’t even have to trade up from sixth to get him. "

Went back and looked at my own thoughts in relation to the 2015 draft on the night just before it began "If Mariota, Cooper and Fowler are all gone - which seems likely - then TBH I would rather take Brandon Scherff than anyone else at that spot." - should have listened to me :p

What is funny looking back at those threads though is how most people wanted Mariota or Vic Beasley

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It hurts. It really hurts to look at.

FJF likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What's even worse, are any of those players (outside of Williams and Enunwa) still in the NFL?

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

THIS is EXACTLY why we have sucked for so long.

God I hope Douglas fixes this. I really really hope he changes things around here

FJF likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

what's funny though is the nfl.com review of our 2015 draft "General manager Mike Maccagnan must be praised for his astute management of the draft board last weekend. The first-time decision maker showed exceptional discipline and poise while acquiring blue-chip talent throughout the draft. "

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Let's go one step further.

7. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I was ecstatic when Williams fell to the Jets. He also seemed like a very safe pick. But this is the Jets and even when we win, we really lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Damn it. I just had lunch. Not cool

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Per Rapoport this was just the first move by Douglas and the Jets are looking to have a fire sale to amass draft picks. Several more trades likely.

ColoradoContrails and Jets81 like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and funny enough after beasley's year 2 when he had like 12 sacks everyone was saying how bad mac fucked up. now beasley has sinced years 3-5 and ATL hates him and he's going to walk after this year. Fowler turned out to be a decent situational rusher. After 5 years for all intents and purposes i'd say we probably got the best player drafted in the top 9 spots (outside of cooper). winston and mariota are both busts and likely backup QBs in 2020, mariota was benched for tannehill, winston was benched for fitzpatrick last year. fowler was traded away for pretty much the same exact package we got for leo but a year earlier. (FWIW i actually said that was fair value for leo and people here laughed at me and said we'd never get as much as fowler got, we got slightly more). Still fowler (a guy i wanted us to trade for but again people here said he sucked and didn't want him) is now having a career year with 6.5 sacks halfway through 2019. cooper was a beast at 1st, then fizzled off and got trades away for a 1st rounder but revived his career with dallas. Schreff has been a really good guard, wouldn't mind him at all and made 2 pro bowls but he's not an elite cna't miss type of player. white was a bust cause injury, beasley started hot then has been a bust the past 3 years and will walk this offseason to a new team. flowers was a masssive bust at OT. couldn't make it anywhere on the line. I never seen a top 10 o-lineman be so bad. That entire draft was a really weak draft. that's another thing fans don't consider. some drafts are just more talented then others

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel a bit better the Patriots had 11 draft picks in 2015 and (I think) got one starter out of it (Shaq Mason)

12. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Yea, no need to over complicate why we suck...that's awful

13. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a crap about what writers think about drafts, theyre writers for a reason, if they had any real talent they would be working in the front office. They're there to sell papers, generate clicks etc.

14. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

If he was drafted by the Pats he would be a HOF'er...

sackexchange likes this.
  15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Looking back at that draft as a whole, you are right, it was really bad from top to bottom

Pepsiguy5 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This was a bad day to buy a Leonard Williams jersey.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

While we’re at it, I’ll take a bag of footballs for Quincy Milliner. Let’s draw a line under the whole sorry affair.

18. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Adams is a goner.....

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If someone called and and blew the doors off. Fine. Do it.

20. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

2 firsts?