L. Williams Traded to Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What did you want Douglas to say? Only one team wants him and we're dying to deal him?

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think it is a win win for both teams. The Giants get a very good young player. If the Giants do not resign him they will get a 3rd round comp pick back. The Jets get a high 3. I would like to keep Leo but at $15+ million a year we can invest that money in a good free agent cb class next year.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Good on Joe Douglas for finding a trade partner when the rest of the league saw L. Williams for what he is

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly, and I don't want to start that counter over. With a much improved OL, the Jets would have the foundation for a good offense in Sam, Montgomery, Crowder, Herndon and Anderson. Add a #1 WR and a RB in the 3rd or 4th round, and they should have a very good offense. On D, we need an elite edge rusher and a #1 CB. We have 3 seasons before Adams will have to be re-signed, and if we start winning he will be all too happy to stay here. No, they don't only look good because everyone else on the roster sucks. Adams could start on any team. Crowder was good before he came to the Jets. Herndon would start on most NFL teams. Anderson's not great, but is improved and we need to keep him for Sam.

I'm sorry but I think the idea of turning over the entire roster is insane! Since 2020 is gonna be your last season anyway, maybe you should just go ahead and quit now if you've gotten that jaded and cynical.

5. NCJetsfan

Being eligible for a compensatory pick (not picks) and actually getting it are two different things entirely. The Jets would never get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Williams. They will be signing FAs.

6. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

No one talking about this. I think it's a good trade for the Giants then.

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Very true forgot that piece. I look forward to this offseason. I think we'll take a similar approach like the Bills did last year. Sign olinemen an NFL type receiver and fill in other positions. So yes you're right we probably wouldn't of gotten anything for him. Thank god Gettlemen loves his hog mollies.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Right. He wasn't going to be here next year whether we booted him out or if he left on his own and if we tendered a qualifying offer all we would have gotten is a 3rd (at the end of the round) so he Douglas got us a little more with this trade. Good for him.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You make it sound like the Jets will have some kind of wonderdraft and all these pieces will suddenly fall into place..Hasn't happened in 50 years but I suppose you can always wish for it. If the Jets continue to suck, I'm done but the timeline remains. 2020 is 1.5 seasons away and there's still time for Douglas to turn this version of the Jets around from complete suckage to Mediocre again.

IF the Jets start winning again... That's a mighty big if isn't it especially with this CS and ownership.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bro. Add a #1 receiver and runningback in the 3rd and 4th round? We have a pretty good offense with a much improved offensive line? How do you propose we fix said offensive line?

We need draft capital and cap space. This is as much of a cap nightmare as it was in 2013 with the highest paid ILB and RB in NFL history for the next 4-5 years. I like Mosely and Bell. Mosely pretty much raped us though. And I NEVER advocate for paying a running back a lot or drafting them higher than the second round. Because their lifespan is so short.

We can't build the foundation without getting rid of some of the current luxury players. The entire roster DOES need to be turned over. It's atrocious.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I understand that. But that was not the question that was asked.

I don't believe any of us knows if or how many FAs the Giants will sign anyway. I doubt even Giants fans know what they are gonna do

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't mind the trade because four years in this organization is cause for anybody to say "enough." We have to remember that he was a DT in college when he won all his accolades. The Jets, in their infinite wisdom, made him a DE. Williams has always been solid against the run, but it's unrealistic to expect 300 lb DE's to produce more than 8-10 sacks a year.

13. NCJetsfan

Unless the Johnsons start telling Douglas who to draft,I have to believe that Douglas will be a good GM and much better in player evaluation and philosophy (and priorities) than Mac, Idzik or Bradway. If not, there would be no reason for me to have hope or keep rooting for this POS franchise. No, I'm not expecting a "wonderdraft" but I am expecting a good, solid draft. I expect that between FA and the the OL will be exponentially better, that our WR corps will be better, and that will enable the offense to be much better. Since I want most, if not all, of the draft picks to go to the offense, I don't see much improvement with the D, but hopefully Douglas will sign a quality FA CB to improve our CB corps.

I think with one good offseason and a new HC, the team can reach mediocre (7-9 or 8-8) unless Sam has already been ruined by Gase and our OL. With a second good offseason, I think the team can start being competitive again, and should be a playoff team by year 3.

14. Cman68

David Carr says "that used to be me out there..." There's still time to prevent this from happening..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What's the saying ? " You don't get something for nothing"

Lmao looks like Douglas just got 2 good picks

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea, if he has a monster last half of the season. Then they will sign him and gladly give up the 4. Otherwise I’d expect he will get a handshake deal and sign the next day.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Huh? I was referencing the poster that just said a few minutes before I posted that other teams wanted Williams.

18. Cman68

OR, the Jets have mismanaged LW from the beginning and the kid goes on to flourish with the Giants. If that's the case, then it depends on what Douglas does with those two picks. I would say JD's first draft might be his most important one given the situation around here..

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why we suck today

Pepsiguy5 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

You had to bring up the louisville slugger didnt you.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.