WTF is Miami Doing?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Oct 18, 2019.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

And that's really saying something in a world where the New York Jets exist.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

For all of the mocking everyone is doing I'm actually pretty intrigued by this. Only one team has taken a serious money ball style approach to this in the NFL and the Browns just did it by trading back. They didn't trade all of their talent.

The Dolphins are willing to suck this year and next. My thinking is that Tua won't really play next year honestly. And then 2021 will be setup as their season to compete at 8-8 and so on.

I don't blame them for trying this. They've been banging their heads against the wall in mediocrity with shitty quarterbacks for 20 years. They're trying a different approach now.

The only player they traded that didn't make sense was Tunsil. But with the haul they got I can't completely blame them. They better hire an extra 25 scouts though and make sure they don't fuck these next two drafts up.

It's really not too unlike what the Patriots do ever year except they do it with mid round talent and sign nothing in free agency while their roster gets picked clean so they feast on comp picks and always trade down. I'm sure they've had more draft picks than any team in the league over any period of time you want to choose over the past 15 years.

#22 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    MJK and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And now they traded Kenyan Drake to Arizona.

This is fuckin insane. I do not understand what they are doing lol

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

They're doing a tear down and hope to hit on the picks they're stockpiling. Whether or not it works is anyone's guess.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Falco21

They have no pieces to build around. Zero.

No free agent would want to touch that team.

That's a HORRIBLE way of rebuilding

6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

With the exception of trading the young LT they are doing the smart thing by resetting the franchise....I would rather be a Dolphin fan right now then a Jet fan.

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I will not be able to stop laughing if they get the No. 1 pick and Tua looks at the situation and says I think I'll stop at Bama for my Senior year, rather than get killed every week in Miami behind that O/line

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Falco21

I disagree COMPLETELY.

Rebuilding a franchise is one thing. Selling your ENTIRE team is another thing.

They have no QB, no RB, no defense, ZERO offensive weapons, and ZERO offensive line.

First of all, no free agent will want to sign on a roster that looks the way it does. Second of all, they are relying on an entire roster of rookies with ZERO veteran leadership.

9. Falco21

I would be very careful with Tua. He is battling a second ankle injury on the opposite ankle. So he has now been injured in both ankles in his college career.

Not the best thing going into the draft

10. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

With the exception of Tunsil and Fitzpatrick who's overrated and a saftey they traded guys that couldnt get more then 6th or 7th round picks for....you are acting like they had talent in the first place...imo Tunsil was the only player worth keeping anyway...trading guys like Drake or Stills isn't a very big deal and they got a top 5 pick for a safety which is robbery.

#30 MJK, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

And they got an absolute ransom for Tunsil. The Dolphins are really doing something interesting and if it works, you'll see other franchises do it.

I like Brian Flores a lot. He's only 36 but he's been in the NFL since 2004 with the Patriots. His resume is both scouting and coaching and he's learned under the best for pretty much the balance of their incredible run.

As coach:
    • New England Patriots (20042018)
      - Scouting assistant (2004–2005)
      - Pro scout (2006–2007)
      - Special teams assistant (2008–2009)
      - Assistant offense & special teams (2010)
      - Defensive assistant (2011)
      - Safeties coach (2012–2015)
      - Linebackers coach (2016–2018)
    They have eleven picks in the top 96 in the next two years. 9 in the first two rounds. They can draft an entire unit in two years. Not to mention loads of cap space and they're already keeping a couple of decent pieces (Xavien Howard for one).

I mean imagine they get Chase Young #1 overall, then take Jerry Jeudy with the Steelers pick and a QB with the Texans pick? Unless the plan is to suck for Lawrence again next year.

Whether they hit or not on these picks will be the factor. But they have an interesting idea rather than playing this year to the tune of 5-11 and keeping Fitzpatrick and Tunsil.

MJK likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'd bet the NFL steps in if this is to be the case.... or at least with a NBA lottery type system. They wont like seeing what the TV ratings (and attendances) that these teams will have.... other owners will bitch about the revenue sharing (or lack of)

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Oh agreed. The NBA has a huge problem with smaller market teams competing. The difference with the NFL is that every team makes so much money that money is rarely an issue.

It's definitely going to be interested. It's tough to build a winning culture with two consecutive years of really bad losing. But the Dolphins strategy is to endure two years rather than 20 of meddling between 5-11 and 9-7 with no long term solution for success beyond getting the right quarterback.

They're sort of hedging their bet in that sense; even if we don't get the quarterback were going to have quality youth all over the team.

MJK likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What's odd to me is that they must have some talent or Flores is a good coach because after getting blown out in the first 4 weeks 59-10 by Baltimore, 43-0 NE, 31-6 Dallas, Washington, and 30-10 Chargers, they seem to be getting better. They lost to the Redskins by 1 point (17-16). They lost 31-21 to the Bills, and 27-14 to the Steelers, and they were ahead of the Steelers at half time. Like Leicester Jets said, I'd laugh my ass off if they have the #1 pick and Tua stays in school, but I'd rather they wind up beating the Jets at least once, the Bengals, and Cleveland and miss out on Tua, Chase Young and any other QB that might be drafted that high. I'd rather have to face Tua 2x a year than Chase Young, after all, no Alabama QB has done well in the NFL in a couple of decades.

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

In fairness to the Dolphins, their strategy since the offseason was to tank and trade all their players wherever possible.

That’s been the Jets strategy for the last 3 days. We can’t even outthink Miami.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This would be like 10 teams tanking in baseball.

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Phins made a good trade for Talib. Get him and a 5th round pick for a conditional pick. Talib will turn into a 3rd or 4th round comp pick when he leaves after the season. All it cost them was some money this year.

CBG likes this.
  18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's assuming that they don't sign any free agents themselves. It's easy to say that no one would want to go there right now, but are they willing to have an entire team with nothing but first and second year players?

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I have not looked but somewhere online there has to be a Miami Dolphin message board and on it a thread thats titled " What The Hell Are The New York Jets Doing "

Stagman and stinkyB like this.
  20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think this is a two year blow up. They are going to draft a bunch of players and run with them next year. JMO