Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m disappointed every time a press conference ends without Gase using I know you are but what am I.

It’s gonna happen!

sackexchange likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It may have nothing to do with Gase in terms of surgery, but I respectfully disagree that Gase shouldn't at least have spoken with him. After all, he is one of Gase's players. If you care about the players that are playing for you, you talk to them when they are injured, going through a crisis, etc. It's showing that you care about them as people and not just a number on a uniform.

4. FJF

Osemele himself says he doesn’t not expect the coach to talk to him. He hasn’t been at meetings or practice in weeks. These players (all nfl players) all understand when you are hurt you are basically alone with the training staff.

5. Kuech

Kuech New Member

Adam interviews cerebrally and impressively but it's all sizzle with little steak.

He's bull-headed and expects his players to adjust to his gameplans rather than modifying the offense to fit their strengths.

It's "my way or the highway" with players who have the audacity to question his authority; he will jettison (pardon the pun) contributing players like Ajayi and Landry if they don't walk the walk he orchestrated.

He truly is arrogant believing he's the smartest guy in the room and treats others accordingly. He's basically an unlikeable guy.

That would be fine if he were an effective HC or even offensive play caller but he's not as you're finding out. With the Fins he refused to give up the play calling , saying it was "fun," or something of that nature. There's a characteristic picture floating around of him sitting alone on the bench, head down creating plays, totally oblivious of everything going on around him.

I don't doubt that he hates Williams and vice versa. Don't forget that he crowbarred his FIL, Joe Vitt onto Gregg's staff as a spy.

The Jets hiring him was the worst possible outcome for Gase; it enabled him to rationalize that it was the Fins roster, front office and of course players that did him dirty. He needs to experience some soul-searching humility to get an accurate handle on how to rebuild his career, perhaps even reverting back to being a QB coach. Just my 2cents

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

When I think about this season I think about what it could have been with Matt Rhule as HC. Sign me up for the Matt Rhule 2020 billboard.

7. NCJetsfan

I believe you. But there could be a couple of other factors at play. One, Osemele may truly not have expected or cared if Gase contacted him, but isn't it also possible that he is just being careful not to say anything negative about Gase? Two, if you were a HC and one of your players, especially a starter got injured, wouldn't you stop by the training room or at least pick up the phone and call or text him to see how his rehab was coming? I would. IMO that's part of being a leader and a good human being.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Things could have been better in some ways, but in other ways could be equally bad or worse. Rhule's CS had very little NFL experience. It's quite possibly that some of the older vets would have laughed at or ignored the CS when they said something that really didn't apply to the NFL or they didn't think would work. The college game is very different than the NFL, and Rhule has not been so great before this year. Rhule could have already have lost the team by now. I think Rhule has potential, so possibly could have been a great hire, but he also could have been a disaster.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If only those X's and O's would do what they're s'posed to... :confused:

10. NCJetsfan

LOL No, I saw it. He isn't ideal, but imo there is no ideal at this point in the season. Who was Douglas supposed to sign? Who out there is better that you would have signed? Fales at least knew Gase's offense having been on the Dolphins in the 2017 and 2018 seasons. He has been around the NFL, even if he hasn't played much. Would you rather he have signed Jay Cutler? Kaepernick? IMO it is what it is. The Jets aren't going anywhere this season under Gase's "leadership" and with the holes they have on the OL, WR, edge rusher and CB. Even if someone better is out there, why waste the cap space when they're going to need every penny they can get next offseason?

11. NCJetsfan

The Jets knew that this team wasn't going anywhere this season. Douglas' eyes are squarely on the future, not this year. He knows that he needs every draft pick and every penny he can get to try to add quality players that fit the type of players he is looking for in FA and the draft next offseason. He already has it tough enough trying to overhaul this roster, and he certainly wasn't going to make it any harder on himself in order to try to win a game or two that probably weren't winnable anyway. IMO it would have been totally dumb to waste draft capital trading for a QB that was never going to be the starter here. That is even more true since they thought Sam would be back by the Eagles game. You don't throw away draft picks for 2-3 games. Sam was going to play the rest of the games, and they only needed someone to run the scout team offense and as insurance in case Sam got hurt again.

Who were these options that were better?

12. NCJetsfan

While better options than Fales, in all likelihood, the Jets would have still lost those games,especially with Gase's refusal or inability to make adjustments. Eli Manning is awful. That would have been a totally dumb move. Bradford would probably have gotten injured signing the contract. Taylor is the only one of those QBs I'd have even thought about, and he's not good. I certainly wouldn't waste any draft capital to add any of them, and probably wouldn't have given up any cap space, either.

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/adam-gase-press-conference-10-24-week-8

Listen to the presser if you haven't you should. It show exactly why he got fired in Miami. Arrogant, conceding and as other posters stated he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

AAAAAAAAAAAA coach, your Offense unit has looked lost and inept most of the season. Irrespective who is the starting QB. And unfortunately for you, the units that YOU DO NOT coach are at least semi-functional.

His recalcitrant attitude is already wearing on the NY media... For example, it was mentioned during a question that he is a losing coach (13-24) that seems to distance himself from players SO the questioner as, "WHY WOULD ANY PLAYER OR PLAYERS WANT TO COME AND JOIN THE TEAM."

His response was head down cocked to the left and petulant ,"you'll have to ask them that." Wow... what a AH. I said it before with this guy its only a matter of time before he loses the team... after Monday debacle it may already be happening.

#1253 SOJAZ, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  14. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

The injury discussion is in another thread. Alienating/not caring about his players is just another reason...This is about Gase's inability to be a real HC in this league or even a decent co-worker. He seems entitled and doesn't know how to talk to people that confront him or question his ideas.

Rex sure had his short comings as a HC but you think he knew how to get a team behind him. Would he have gone 2 weeks without talking to ANYONE in the building? Let alone a starter,.. an injured starter.

Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Would using an interpreter for Gase violate league policy?

16. FJF

Gase hasn’t done anything out of the ordinary. I am not going to hold him to a different standard then any other coach past or present regarding his communication with injured payers. More so this week because we got blown out on Monday night: sorry, this thread title may bear out but the evidence used here to prove it is patently wrong and has no bearing on Gase as a coach. The only people agreeing that it does are using emotion and hypothetical situations to try to prove they are right.

jonnyd likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

but he's stupid enough to get into a public battle over an injury? come on.
    his salary for this year is fully guarenteed whether we release him or not so no point in releasing him. also at this point if we tried to, he could claim we can't cause he's injured. that really leaves us with only a few options which is put him on IR to give us a roster spot but we have to still eat his money, or suspend him without pay for "behavior detrimental to the team" and refusing to play. the real issue though comes down to the actual injury. If he is legit too hurt to play then the jets are fucked up and should just IR him and let him get surgery. If he's not too hurt to play and only looking to use the jets while collecting 10 mil to rehab and be more halthy for free agency, then KO is a dick and I hope the jets don't let him off easily.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets may well be in a contract dispute with him. If they think they may be lawyering up Gase may have been specifically told not to talk to him. As long as we're all making shit up I'm in.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What I liked about Rhule was his reputation as a CEO type leader and that he had that "it" factor. Pretty much the opposite of Gase in leadership. Combined with G. Williams and Monken it could have been an exciting season.

I understand Rhule declined because of the coaches being forced on him and I agree he needed coaches with NFL experience. I just wish we did a better job of selling him on the job and the need to have coaches with NFL experience.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Yes, I liked that about his reputation, but believed that he hadn't built a strong enough program at Baylor or won enough, and with little NFL experience, I would have been extremely nervous about Rhule. With Williams and Monken as his coordinators, I'd have been more confident that the team would do well, but would have wondered if Williams would have been happy with that arrangement since he has been a HC before and wants to be again. With Rhule's insistence on hiring his own assistants and coordinators (which I understand and can't fault him for) there's no way I would have wanted him. As much as I wanted an experienced HC, I wanted someone whom I thought was a strong offensive, innovative leader to help Sam develop and put the focus on offense, and who would hire a good CS with NFL experience. Rhule wouldn't have hired a CS with NFL experience and with his only having been an assistant OL coach for 1 season with the Giants, I didn't trust him to put a strong focus on the offense, although he may have stressed the OL.