The Darnold Decision

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If your offense is constantly dealing with 3rd and 10+, then that means the offense is poorly planned. It simply means the team fails to gain yardage in the first and second down. That should go straight to the coaching staff. [That is not my own words either; it comes from Bill Walsh, the supposed originator of WCO, that Gase claims he is running. I don't think Adam Gase runs anything with half semblance of WCO.]

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

except they weren't actually IN 3rd and 10+ much last night. Darnold was turning it over so much. Here are all of the 3rd down plays

1st quarter:
    3rd & 10 from the 25 (5 yard pass to Crowder)

2nd Quarter
    3rd & 10 from the NE 19 (Darnold's throws a mallard duck INT)
    3rd & 15 from midfield (17 yard pass to Thomas)
    3rd& 9 from the NE 33 (5 yard pass to Crowder)

3rd Quarter
    3rd & 2 from the 32 (5 yard run by Bell)
    3rd & 6 from the 49 (Darnold throws a pregnant duck INT to Gilmore)
    3rd & 10 from the NE 11 (Darnold throws a wounded, quacking duck INT)

I stopped then. at this point its 33-0 and they aren't gonna be out there running the football to set up shorter down & distance. Essentially, 5 plays of 3rd & long total. I mean this is the NFL, that's not excessive by any means

ouchy likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we stitched O'Donnal on the back of Sams Jersey it would be almost Kotitian.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

All right, you made me work.

Q1
    Drive 1: 2nd and 8 (Free rusher to the QB) -> INT
    Drive 2: 3rd and 10 -> 5 yard pass

Q2
    Drive 3: 1st and 10 (Free rusher to the QB) -> Fumble
    Drive 4: 3rd and 10 -> INT. (Yes. This is on Sam, but the protection was crumbling by the time he threw it up. If he didn't throw it up when he did, he would have been sacked anyway)
    Drive 5: 3rd and 15 -> 17 yard pass
    .............3rd and 9 -> 4 yard pass

Q3
    Drive 6: 3rd and 2 -> Bell run for 5 yard
    .............3rd and 6 (Free rusher to the QB) -> INT
    Drive 7: 3rd and 10 -> INT (Again, this is on Sam.)
    Drive 8: 3rd and 17 -> Pass incomplete

Q4
    Drive 9: 3rd and 15 -> Pass incomplete
    Drive 10: 3rd and 4 -> Pass incomplete

Phew. Reading the game log alone was brutal enough. Watching it was even more painful. Before hammering the kid, just count how many [FREE RUSHER TO THE QB] you see up there. For every bad outcome in the first half, there was always a free rusher to the QB. Sam was getting rattled midway through 2nd quarter, as it is clearly visible. Cheater pulled his dogs back midway through 3rd quarter, knowing full well the defense has achieved the primary goal already. If you are hammering this performance on the kid, then you are absolutely clueless, to put it nicely.

Pepsiguy5 and Noam like this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

it meant jack shit then as well - what on earth is great about being a QB hungry team that traded the farm to get arguably the top QB prospect in the draft? it was hardly like they plucked a diamond from the rough in the 4th round

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

more like 30-40 years but i get the point

7. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

They destroy Darnold starting at around 4:56

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Honestly in the early to mid 2000s we drafted pretty well outside of a couple misses. Mangini wore out his welcome but I always thought he was a solid talent evaluator. He took DBrick and Mangold, Revis and Harris.

I don't know if it was more Bradway still than him, but more of those players contributed than these bums. Leon Washington, Eric Smith, Brad Smith, Sione Pouha, etc. He just had that massive Vernon Gholston blemish on his resume.

9. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Correction: Darnold did not play well last night.

10. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Man, after some of the busts of modern jets history Vernon seems like a perennial pro bowler.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

kids see ghosts sometimes :confused:

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

umm it is the QB's job to identify the blitz and call out the protections.

also, how is it "absolutely clueless to put it nicely" to call out the QB after a 5 turnover, 86 yard performance.... yes, you read that right. 86 passing yards and 5 turnovers

shouldn't we have some standards for "the kid" ?????? if we can't criticize Darnold after that performance. I mean dude, when can we?

#152 BrowningNagle, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Agreed...last week he had decent protection vs. Dallas & he was the afc offensive player of the week. It's not like Darnold just fell off the cliff this week on his own. I am more worried about the OL than Sam. No Qb is going to play great when he has pressure in his face every down...ala Stafford 4 int's vs. Us last year on opening day. We should have been running quick slants & other short passes. To many routes that took to long to develope, you just can't have that if Sam is under pressure all night. One interception Bell was lined up outside & Sam had to throw the ball before Bell even started his break & it was picked off. Bad play calling, poor blocking, ultimately ended up a poor decision on Sam's part.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase losses the team and he might after this game he's gone. That said, the Pats have a better coaching staff than any team in the NFL by far, not even close including McVay, Tomlinson, anyone.

The Pats are better than the Jets, mismatch better than the Jets at almost every position on the field.

Sam Darnold last night was on a stage that was way too big for him. It was obvious from the get go.

The Pats so far this year have been killing every team they have faced with the exception of the Bills. They only killed their O.

BB and Brady hate the Jets and love to rub our nose in it.

Bill Walsh went 2 and 14 followed by 6 and 10 before he won the SB with Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Freddie Salomon along with a sure handed fullback Earl Cooper. They also had something else on that team, the NFL No. 2 ranked D in both yards and points. Bill Walsh won with great talent. Granted he was a fantastic head coach and innovator. It took him 2 offseason to build that team and the team was staked on both sides of the ball. They had great scheme, execution and great players on both sides of the ball. That's what the Pats have and we don't have.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I get it. I know Darnold didn't have the greatest night in his career. Okay. I know that.

But - look at the situation in this light.

1. Did any of Gase's QB look great in the past? Tannehill always choked. Matt Moore absolutely sucked big hairy goat balls. Siemian was a joke. Falk? Fuck him. If the past offensive failure in this season was due to not having Sam in the line up, then fine. What about last night's performance?

2. Another question that begs questioning is: if Tom Brady was the Jets QB last night, could he have survived the defensive onslaught? I just cannot see Brady coming out of the game in one piece healthy. Not only him, but any QB of HoF calibre. The offensive plays never had any quick hitters and the WRs were not getting open be it in man coverage or zone coverage. There was no back or TE chipping the pass rushers. Instead we had to watch free rushers getting to Sam more than once. That is where my gripe is coming from. If Sam didn't recognize the free rusher once or twice - Okay. I can chalk that up as his fault. All game long? That simply means he wasn't even prepared to deal with the potential pressures. Pinning all that on Sam is completely ludicrous. Where is coaching staff in that thought process? Coach-22 films, breakdowns, key recognition - where is all that? Is Sam supposed to pour over these films on his own or something? I know Tom Brady doesn't do it alone.

3. So - if no QBs looked half decent under this impostor of a coach, and Sam looked below pedestrian under his tutelage, which way am I supposed to look to? The struggling QB? Or the so-called Offensive Guru? You tell me.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

All luck? Probably not, the odds of 20 out of 24 heads on a fair coin are way less than 1%. (Though a statistician would point out that even rare events have to happen to someone, and Gase might be that someone.) But a good chunk of it luck? Probably.

17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

This thread is fun.

joe and dawinner127 like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope the Darnold doubters are beginning to believe. Now that Gase is calling plays to his strength - getting him on the move, etc. - he's showing the kind of QB he can be.

JohnnyJet1222 and westiedog1 like this.
  19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets will have one more soft game - but given recent the history of this team against winless teams, I wouldn't count the Cincy game as a gimme. Jets WILL suck that game. HARD. They always suck against winless teams.

Then Dolphags come to NY. I can see Jets losing that one too. They lost one against them already. Why not two?

After that - it will be pretty rough, if not downright brutal. B'more - Steelers - Bills (away).

We will have to see how Sam does against a legitimate defense before saying anything about this offense in general.

20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not only will we not lose to Dolphins at home, Jets will trounce them.

Bills are a paper tiger. Wins are against us, Dolphins 2, Bengals, Broncos, Giants, Redskins, Titans not really a quality team in the bunch. Best win might be over Jets with healthy Mosely for 3 quarters.

Steelers are not a scary team at all this year.

Would hardly call last 3 brutal - Every game is very winnable aside from the Ravens on the road with short rest.
    Probably will not win all of the ones we could but the way they are playing now most likely 3-2 down the stretch with an outside shot at 4-1.