The Darnold Decision

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 21, 2019.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

David's deteriorated due to getting beat up for a long period of time. Darnold's is just bad even when there's no pressure and he's dropping times his feet are all over the place.

2. Paradis

Paradis New Member

Trash post.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Matt. Did the Jets not even contact you? Looks like they made a mistake.

Pepsiguy5 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's no getting rid of Sam now at all. By the end of next year we can make this call and look at options. This roster is so devoid of talent and that's what ten years of bad drafting does to a franchise. I can't remember us having an offensive pro bowler in a decade. Can you?

That looked like a Geno game. But he was setup for failure and has a lot of unteachable skills. He just couldn't settle in. And hoping to throw 40 yard patterns against a 7 man blitz killed him.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no. it was 1 bad game. every QB has them. lets see how he bounces back this week against a tough jax D

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It took Gase almost an entire half to stop sending Sam out there in 5 wide against a 6-7 man rush, the coaches gave the kid absolutely nothing to work with.

Yes, he had happy feet the whole game. Yes he was chucking up balls and missing wide open guys like Griffin for a touchdown and Robby for the 4th down conversion, but that's what happens to young QBs when they feel a constant rush the entire game. Beyond shameful job from the coaching staff this week.

You're also spot on with the bolded sentence. This team has NO depth at any position besides defensive line and has almost no skill position talent besides LeVeon and Crowder, both of which we signed in FA. I have high hopes for Herndon but I don't see him as the savior to our offense.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. legler82

Darnold was 3-17 with 2 INT when NOT under pressure yesterday.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Just a few more wasted 2 cents:

1. Jets pass plays are always long-developing plays. That works if the protection holds up - i.e. when the OL is not Jets OL.

2. What is more puzzling is, what is this offense anyway? Is this WCO?

3. If I had to place a name tag on this offense, that should be Mike Martz offense - where QBs get killed week in and week out.

4. So where is my gripe coming from? It is very simple in fact; Any typical WCO pass play usually has a built-in hot route. Which we did not see at all in last night's game.

5. It seems more like Sam wasn't even prepared to handle Cover zero jailbreaks. He was even sacked right after the snap and fumbled the ball consequently in 1st quarter. 1st quarter!

6. If you looked closer, you'd find that Sam doesn't even make blitz check. Or he completely missed it time and time again. If he missed it once - Okay, that's on him. If he keeps missing the blitz check all game long, that's on game preparation. You know, the thing the coaching staff is supposed to do.

7. I don't know how Mike Martz offense works - I despise it, and I didn't even bother looking it up. That offense got Kurt Warner AND Marc Bulger killed. Last time I checked, Adam Gase learned his offense thing under *Gulp!* One and only Mike Martz. And I see nearly same trend with the Jets offense so far; the opposing defense shows ferocious pass rush, and the offense does NOTHING to neutralize it. We can all blame Trevor Siemien and Luke Falk for sucking big hairy goat balls, but what we know from their performance is that, they weren't given sufficient amount of quick hitters in their preparation either.

8. Thus, I am convinced by now that Gase MUST go. He will not only stunt Sam's growth; he will literally RUIN Sam instead.

9. Last, but not the least: to anyone who shows up that stat sheet saying how Sam was dreadful while not under pressure and all: JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP. Once the QB is rattled - then the defense has achieved its primary goal. The defense does not have to pressure the QB to force a mistake. Just showing what the defense "might" do can cause the QB to flinch. When you don't even have adequate supporting cast around you? Good luck with that. As far as I can remember, only a handful QBs could take the merciless beating in the first half, only to come back for a win in the second half. (And Tom Brady isn't one of them.) On top of my head, Joe Montana against Eagles (led by Buddy Ryan) comes to my mind. Okay. Here's the deal; Joe Montana is Joe Montana for a reason, and expecting Sam to be Joe Montana in his heyday is nothing short of absolutely ludicrous.

#128 Zach, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not under physical pressure. But what about spectral pressure?

10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Sam was comically bad last night, his worst sin was constantly throwing the ball up while falling away. MAYBE hes afraid to take a hit bc of the whole mono thing, but you have to be mentally tough and stand in there and deliver the ball. or throw the ball away or take the friggin sack sometimes!

poor game by Sam, and there is plenty of blame t go around

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

This talk of trading Sam is ridiculous if not ludicrous. I'll remind everyone that BB is now coaching the D...notice a difference form last year to this year. The guy is a great "D" coach... he has proven that over and over. He rattled the kid - like he has done to so many others - and the game was over after the 1st Q. There is a saying in contact law...the devil is in the details and so it goes with NFL teams. Look at both teams and tell me which one is well coached and which one isn't.

What is most troubling is that AG did nothing to help SAM and some of us on this board warned other posters that he was not a good coach. Where were the slants, where were the quick pass to hot rev?, it was a joke. As other posters stated the O is slow developing yet this HC knowing that his OL is bad and that the ball needs to get out fast didn't change a dam thing...the game play was the same as week 1,2,3,4,5....

Finally, the OL was worse... the line play was horrendous - I mean they played each other three weeks ago and they were as unprepared last night as they were then. THAT IS POOR COACHING.

You can call me what you want but AG is not the solution he is the problem and needs to be fired. BTW - I sent CJ a note this morning telling him for the 1st time ever - in 52 years - I turned off the TV because it was worse the watching a Rich Kotite coached team.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

13. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Gase got his reputation for coaching....wait for it....Peyton F-ing Manning. You couldve had a crash test dummy as the OC when Manning was with the Broncos and he wouldve still thrown 55 tds in a season, Gase was in the right place at the right time and got hyped up based on an all-tie great QBs monster season

and we got suckered by that too (we meaning the Johnsons not the fans)

14. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

No solidify the rest of the roster and make this team able to support a young QB if we need to move on sooner rather then later. Drafting a QB high again with nothing around him is exactly why we are here in the first place. 3x2nd round picks would have been nice but its understandable to go get your guy I just dont agree with trading draft capital when your roster is as shit as ours.

15. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

No. The oline is putrid. The play calling is moronic. Gase's scheme sucks. And the receivers are decent at best. Bell is the only help the kid has, and he can't be effective because of the rest of it.

This is normal rookie growth pains. Belichick took the kid to school last night. He took the coach to school too. Review, Correct, Act........NEXT !

Now, If only it were that simple for the rest of this train wreck.......

16. legler82

I believe it’s determined by time to throw (2.5 seconds or more). His numbers under pressure were worse

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

My joke was too subtle?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not subtle; more metaphysical

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what play the coach is supposed to call when his QB is just chucking the football up for shits and giggles. 3rd and 10 from the 19 yard line, I don't think Gase is calling for the QB to launch a duck off his back foot. I doubt that's in the playbook

2nd & 8 from your own 10. Was it Gase's play call to run a quick out to Jamison Crowder and throw it 10 feet over his head?

20. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Crazy question? Were the Bills doing zero blitz in game 1? Falk and Siemian got chewed up by zero blitzes in the following two games right?

That wasn’t the crazy question. Here it comes....do you guys think of all things to not prep Darnold for, It was the zero blitz? In other words....they were expecting Bellichick to run something else?

It looked like what ever they thought Bellichick was going to do....he didn’t and they were caught off guard. I’m not excusing anything...adjustments should have been made since the browns game to deal with the blitz better than they’ve been dealing with it.

Another thing: while everyone is stuck on the “I see ghosts thing.” Gase said something that was pretty telling: Do what we practiced.

Anybody else remember that? Was Sam Freestyling?