Letting Brady get the ball first to start the game- why not use common sense?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Oct 22, 2019.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I've seen the argument why teams do this but there must be a point where common sense prevails.

Why are teams so concerned about what will happen at the start of the second half?

I remember the Chiefs did the same stupid thing in the AFC Championship last season.

WHY WHY WHYWHHHHHHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SEE TOM BRADY FIRST TO START THE GAME?!

I was so excited at the start of this game then when I heard the Jets won the toss, deferred until the second half I felt a pit in my stomach. Make no mistake about it the tone for last night's game was set on that opening drive by the Patriots.

Took the crowd out of it, made Darnold and co. play from behind right from the start.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Yeah, because if the Jets stop Brady on that first drive, they only lose 26-0.

Antoni and Vida like this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't have mattered if the Jets didn't give Brady the ball until the last drive of the game, any realistic fan knew this was going to be a shit show.

Vida likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I agree...and I said it in the game thread before the kick off.

Just another dumb stupid decision by Gase.

I predict we'll see lots more of 'em.

5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I don't know. Brady for years has made his mark scoring either side of the half to take games away from the opposition. The Pats always defer. You don't want to just give them what they are comfortable with either. What I was more concerned about was the Pats just walked down the field barely breaking sweat early in both games this year. It did basically kill the crowd but if the D had got a stop there it would have maybe been different. There are plenty of things to kill Gase for, this isn't one of them.

ouchy and Vida like this.
  6. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

If Marcus Maye doesn't completely whiff on the 3rd down tackle the D gets off the field. It wouldn't have mattered one bit on the grand scheme of things, but he's got to make that tackle and get Brady off the field. This game was a total and complete failure on both sides of the ball and the coaching staff, so I am not singling Maye out for this disaster, just pointing out that the D did have a chance to make the defer decision look better than it turned out to be...

Biggs and westiedog1 like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They had 4 chances. It was 3rd and long on 4 separate occasions on that opening drive. 3rd and 7 2x. 3rd and 10. 3rd and 14.

ouchy likes this.
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Ryan started the whole defer thing and everybody else has copied it. The difference is Ryan always had good defenses which more times than not would stop the first drive cold.

#8 Don, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    westiedog1 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

exactly. he was the 1st one to start doing it in the NFL. but his theory was i'm a defensive guy, i trust my defense. put them on the field first, force a quick punt and the offense takes over in good field position with momentum. Gase is an offensive guy, he should be putting the offense out 1st. instead we gave it to NE for them to eat up half the quarter and score a TD on the opening drive

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Out of all the things to choose to complain about, this is what you picked?

ouchy and dawinner127 like this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All the other ones were taken... :confused:

jixxjr, NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  12. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

You act like we ever had a shot..

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good point, it would have been better to get the ball turn it over in our own end of the field and give Brady the Ball to open the 2nd half.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can't blame Gase for that decision. I would have done the same thing. Not to mention, the Patriots have been coming out slowly the last few weeks. The only times they came out firing they were playing........ us. So that is more of a defensive problem than it is a mistake deferring. I agree with the call.

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I hardly think Ryan was the 1st NFL coach to do this. In fact, it became the a legitimate option for a lot of teams when they changed the coin flip rules in 2008.

Used to be if you deferred the other team could get the ball both halves. Because deferring meant you were giving up your option in the 1st half and the other team still had the option in the 2nd half. They changed the rule so that by deferring in the 1st half you get the option in the 2nd half. I'm pretty sure the Pats have been deferring 99% of the time since this happened.

BrowningNagle and Biggs like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

1st one ever to defer? of course not. 1st one to do it every game absolutely was. every other team took the ball in the NFL at the time every time. rex made it popular to defer. Bellichick always took the ball and still does. why would you not start the game with brady getting the ball?

17. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Exactly. If the Jets take the ball and go 3 and out does it really make a difference? People talk about the coin toss decision like it has a lasting effect on the game. It doesn't. It's almost as if the logic is that the first drive dictates how the rest of the game unfolds. I wish it worked that way, cause I'd be a millionaire predicting outcomes of games. At 0-0 they were playing for the 2nd half which is what you're supposed to do if you are genuinely trying to win the game.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Belichick defers.. everyone defers. do you only watch the Jets or something?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

i watch them all. he does now. rex was our coach 10 years ago. billichick didn't defer back then. he goes for double score (end of the half beginning of the 3rd) most coaches do it now that way. it's always been a madden thing too but madden =/= real football. back then everyone took the ball

20. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

He does not. He has deferred 99% of the time. He has only taken the ball 2 times in the last 10 years or so.. BB has been doing this for ages and now everyone copies him. The logic is simple. You defer so that you can try to get 2 offense possessions in a row by controlling the clock at the end of the 2nd quarter and get it again at the start of the 3rd quarter. He also does it because he's great at half-time adjustment and believes getting an offensive drive in the 2nd half is more important/valuable than the 1st half, where you are not quite sure what the other team is doing.