The Darnold Decision

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 21, 2019.

1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Maybe when he said the offense can be unstoppable, what he meant to say is unwatchable...

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He seems scared to get hit is what it boils down to me...Even though he played well against Dallas I saw it a few times and made note of it

Our bad oline/ Pats blitzing like crazy just exposed him

Hard to say but when people have told him he can literally die if his spleen gets hit hard enough it could have something to do with it

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. Jetsfansince2015

Forum seems 50/50 on liking and not liking Darnold.

I say we still need to see more games played.

4. Had to take all those DL’s w all those picks after taking Darnold.2 in the same draft after him & another 1st round the very next year.

Now Sam’s toas if he wasnt already dog shit to begin with.Think maybe we’d have a pretty good DL w those picks? No. Average at best.

Stupidest organization in sports.Cant do ANYTHING right!

#44 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019
  5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Douglas is definitely going to have a decision to make this offseason if this nonsense continues. Darnold's effort tonight was simply unacceptable.

6. Pseudo Spike

Pseudo Spike Member

Best QBR in the NFL last 4 weeks of last season. 3 Sam starts later...trade him!!!

7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

It's too early to give up on Darnold, especially when he has shown promise. Yes, tonight's game was quite concerning, but I still blame coaching for leading to this. Plus, I'm not particularly impressed with the the top two QBs of this coming draft; it's honestly Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota all over again: Two guys who are good college QBs, but don't look like they have the mechanics to be NFL passers. I don't know what 2021 looks like, but if under a new coach next year, Darnold ends up being the weak link, it might be a good idea to start looking for a new QB.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

3.6 passer rating.

Three point six.

Woof.

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Douglas was in Chicago when Wentz was drafted, had nothing to do with Wentz to the Eagles.
    Gase has shown he it too loyal to his QBs and blames everyone but the QB and himself. He had 3 opportunities to draft a QB in Miami but stuck by Tanny. Then went out and overpaid his former failure Cutler.
    The premise of your post is based on false information but that said, it's way to early to make a decision on Darnold.
    Tonight was his 16th game I believe. So 1 full season under his belt, broken up into 4 segments due to injury and illness. He was a very raw prospect with next to no experience.
    It's a shallow draft at the QB position, picking 5 or higher would require a trade and that leaves the new QB without an o line or weapons, so what good does that do the team?

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mariota has bad coaching. Mariota doesn't have bad mechanics.

11. TonyFtLaud

Douglas was in Chicago when Wentz was drafted so it means even less than jack shit....

legler82 likes this.
  12. legler82

[​IMG]

Acad23 likes this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's 22
    In fairness to all your good points, Sam actually did suck more than was necessary under the circumstances. I also think the Monday night stage against the Pats and Tom Brady was a little too big for him tonight. If it continues I would be very concerned. This was a team and coaching cluster fuck but Sam was not an innocent bystander.

14. TonyFtLaud

Yet he only played really well in one of those games vs Green Bay. He was avg vs Houston , bad vs the Bills and terrible vs NE. The 3 yard passes artificially inflate QBR.

15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This board is as bi-polar as the team. But I get it, we're all emotionally involved and "fans gonna fan".
    Objectively, it's impossible to fairly grade Sam without, at the very least, a functional o-line. If he's seeing "ghosts" that's because he has no faith in the line to protect him, and who could blame him for that? They are atrocious.

Without some semblance of an offensive line, the running game is non-existent and all the pressure is on a 22 year old, which is ludicrous.

This team needs 3 things - a real QB coach to correct Sam's mechanics, a real offensive coordinator separate from the HC, and a line that can protect their most valuable asset. Until the o-line is rebuilt, every other piece is irrelevant (Edge, CB, WR).

Rebuild the line, protect your QB, and develop a real running game to open up the passing game. Football 101.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You've just out-coached Adam Gase in a few paragraphs.

17. GreenInTheBowl

We haven't even finished ruining our newest QB's career and you're already bringing up the prospect of ruining another one?

Take it easy brother

As putrid as Sam looked tonight, this was a trap game for him. Coming off mono, 22 years old, still practicing under a new system, new coach, etc.-- going against the best of all time..

I'm confident in saying he'll never play this badly again. If he does, then that would be the appropriate time to bring up this conversation.

How about getting a serviceable offensive line and impact receiver first? Has any young QB actually flourished in this league without a competent unit around him?

FJF and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  18. legler82

All this is fine and dandy but if Darnold does not clean up his fundamentals we're looking at a future inconsistent QB.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There was absolutely no reason for Darnold to be on the field in the fourth quarter. That lies on the head of the Genius Gase for keeping him in the game and the other Genius, Douglas for not keeping an NFL backup on the roster.

MoWilkBeast and Acad23 like this.
  20. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Part of me wants to say that this is not all on Gase. That o-line is horrible but those are the players he was given. On the other hand, we are not the only team with a bad o-line but other teams seem to find a way to get something out of theirs. Douglas better be a freakin' miracle worker this off-season. You would think that after all these years the GMs around the league would have figured out the Patriots formula. The line, the line, the line - everything stems from that.

NCJetsfan likes this.