The Darnold Decision

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 21, 2019.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Some of you guys will think I'm crazy but that's ok, after seeing what Arizona did last year nothing surprises me--

We hired a GM that is supposedly very well equipped to evaluate young talent and was part of the room that drafted Carson Wentz. We have a head coach who has shown he is very fast to ax players and replace them with players who fit his regime.

I believe that if we have a top 5 pick, which I hope we don't because that would mean Sam regresses, that the Jets would pull the trigger on a QB if they feel he would a special player. Again having a top 5 pick means Sam wouldn't have done enough to move the needle this year and didn't show progress.

My question to the fans is, if there was a special QB prospect that was available, would you consider trading Sam and grabbing that QB next year?

Before you respond, know that I already am privy to the fact our Oline and receivers suck.

2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Answer: yes. I would consider it .

grkmanga31 likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Of course I'd be willing to do that. But this is why, if things continue this way for the next couple weeks, we need to fire Gase midseason. Jim Bob Cooter isn't great, but he's been a halfway decent OC with Stafford and the Lions. We need to see what Sam looks like under Cooter, so we'll have a better idea of whether it's worth drafting a new QB.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter if the OL continues to play the way they have all year except for Dallas game. He is running for his life tonight and has been hit multiple times and is now rattled.... you would be too if you saw guys coming free …..

jetsclaps, FJF, Jets81 and 2 others like this.
  5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It's tough guys....if we go QB again we probably fall short in other areas of the team. But tonight, Sam does not look like the right guy. I am hoping this is just a really bad supporting cast because he doesn't look anywhere near where he needs to be.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Last week Darnold is the franchise QB, this week he is comparable to Rosen in Arizona. Got it.

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Sam wasn't rattled on the first int. His play is the reason we lost this game o-line or not.

He's still learning, and because of that I don't think it make sense to get rid of him here.

westiedog1 and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Just like everyone inside the Jets organization, I have no idea what they should do.

rohirrim665, stinkyB, dmarz45 and 4 others like this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but I highly doubt Darnold looks this bad if he had a half decent offensive line blocking for him.

Any QB can look like complete dogshit when guys are coming untouched every single snap. He said it himself, he's "seeing ghosts".

Andy_M, FJF and Jets81 like this.
  10. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Week to week knee jerk reactions on 22 year old QBs is mindless.

joe, Skicats, FJF and 3 others like this.
  11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Would it kill the Jets to run a RB screen. Pats are blitzing on every play and Gase is trying to have Darnold throw down field. Darnold has not played well but the game plan has been atrocious.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Lol. Darnold will be the starting QB until his rookie contract is up, at a MINIMUM. You don’t get rid of a QB that can make throws like last week.

13. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Sanchez at one point was AFC offensive player of the week too...

If you are watching tonight's game, you HAVE to have some real reservations about what you are seeing from Sam. Is the O Line playing well? No! But those ints, especially the last one and the redzone one are on Sam! How do you blame that on anyone else when he throws it up like hes heaving a shot put?

And the fumble? Gotta protect that, even last week the int in the redzone? That's on Sam, that's piss poor. Can't be making these kind of decisions still.

To be clear, I am not saying get rid of him, I am simply saying those anointing him the savior after what they saw last week have to be feeling quite disgruntled right now.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Being a part of a draft room which selected Wentz means jack shit right now.

dmarz45 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  15. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

You can’t throw a disclaimer in there that our oline and receivers suck. That’s a huge part of it, something to do with playing the #1 defense might also factor in.

Get a top notch receiver, rebuild this oline and get some depth. If we’re playing this bad next year... then it’s time for a new qb

16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Darnold is pathetic. This guy is turning into Sanchez right before our eyes. Even Sanchez didn’t throw this many back footed terrible loft INTs like this guy has.

NYCriminal likes this.
  17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

. We suck at screens.

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Saw first game against Buffalo that the Jets blocking schemes were shit. Nothing has changed, that’s on Gase. Pats can do whatever they want defensively. Darnold is rattled + trying to make plays that aren’t there.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He's right

It's painful but the NFL is an unforgiving league

Taking into account the O-line, taking into account the receivers...I still see too much atrocious footwork. Mindless throws. Pitiful ball security. Flat out misses when guys are open. And just outright fear and confusion from him. There has been plenty of good but also a lot of bad

I don't know if he's a QB of the future for us. If we think we can find better in 2020...then have at it. Take the guy and boot Darnold. I don't care anymore

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

This game might be the beginning of the end for Darnold, the way the buttfumble game was for Sanchez. He looks like Dieter Brock and Tony Eason against the '85 Bears.