The DLine and Leo's future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 16, 2019.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Run stuffing D-lineman are a dime a dozen and are easy to acquire in free agency so hopefully they can get a third for Williams .....no way you pay him....unless Q can get to the QB in his career the pick will go down as a huge mistake Allen is already a difference maker....the only down side in trading Leo is it may be a negative for the locker room he seems popular.

Pags2112 and twown like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point. Chemistry is underrated and important. I think some of the moves the Jets made following the 2009 and 2010 seasons resulted in their downfall. Douglas, Williams, and Gase need to weigh that carefully.

Pags2112, twown and MJK like this.
  3. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it may signal to players that they are giving up on the season and lead to a lack of effort to end the season...that would be messy and it might just be worth it to hold onto him till the end of the season....a good idea maybe packaging him in a Trent Williams trade or a player who can help right away.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so worried about it signalling to players that the Jets are giving up on the season and it leading to a lack of effort to end the season. With Sam, Adams, Williams and Gase around, they won't accept lack of effort, particularly when Gase, Douglas and Williams make it clear that players are playing for their future with the Jets the remainder of this season.

I think I'd rather have a higher draft pick, but if the Jets could get Trent Williams for Leon Williams straight up, I'd do it in a NY minute. I've seen speculations that Minny might be open to trading either Xavier Rhodes or Trae Waynes. That might be a possibility, but I don't know how each would be valued. I certainly wouldn't want to give the Vikes a draft pick or Hairston, but I'd be happy to throw in Trumaine Johnson. ;):D

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

trading 1 player who is on the final year of their deal in a posiiton you are very deep at, isn't trading away the season. what miami did trading 2 young stud players in the middle of their rookie deals (fitzpatrick and tunsil) is selling out on the season. huge difference. hell jax just traded ramsey and the rams just traded peters and none of them are seen as tanking

6. GasedAndConfused

leo is literally loved everywhere except on a few jets forums. all the other teams respect him and gameplan for him, all the jets coaches love him (both regimes), all the players love him in the locker room. It's just a few fans that hate him based on 1 column in a stat line. The only reason i'm ok with moving him is because cap wise, I think we can't afford him after this season anyway and we are super deep on the d-line

7. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Have I just been banned?

Pags2112 and Brook! like this.
  8. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

You just said one player wouldnt effect team morale then went on to say how everyone loves him and how great he is.....if he's great and loved then there's a possibility trading said player mid season may effect the locker room.

9. GasedAndConfused

They arne't mutually exclsuive. 1 player can be loved but also not crash the locker room if traded. It's a business the players get that.

10. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Here’s a idea see if Tampa wants him.(bowls connection) I heard they are trying to trade oj Howard. Do a player for player swap. Would be killer to have two TE that can beast.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good one. But nobody will ever ban you our UK Ambassador :)

Pags2112 and donkey like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

I'd rather get a draft pick we could use for a position of need then to trade for an under performing player at a position we don't need. on the flip side it is a weapon for darnold and he could pair nicely with herndon. the bucs have a great offense outside of winstons dumb mistakes and their D is awful. so it kind of does make sense for both sides. we'd also save a ton of money. howards cap hit this year is only 1.5mil and next year is only 2 mil and he has an option year after that if we wanted. leo's 14.2mil this year then off contract next. if you prorate it out we save about 8.7 mil this season. which can be rolled over and covers howards 2 mil next year so an overall savings of 6.7 mil

Mr mittens likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

trading Leonard Williams would be good for that locker room, not bad... Again, watch him play. No backside pursuit ever. ever!

maybe Leonard Williams got that lazy, bad habit from Muhammad Wilkerson, yeah, maybe. But this year's crop of young D-linemen (Quinnen, the UDFA from Tennessee, Kaufusi, etc) haven't gotten that habit from Leonard Williams, yet. That's good. Trade him before it rubs off on them

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'd try to bundle Leo and our 2020 first round pick to get Von Miller.

Gregg Williams has seemingly always had a monster pass rusher wherever he's been. Surprisingly that hasn't happened here yet.

Von Miller fits the bill.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Don't blame other people for a person's problems. Leonard Williams is a grown @ss man he knows what he needs to do.

Wilkerson was a very good player for the Jets things went south after he got paid. Leo has never shown to be as good as Wilkerson was at his best.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Even when Leo is contributing his 1 tackle per game (a stat truly worthy of a first round pick ) the guy STILL LOOKS FAT TO ME

17. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

We are close to possibly contending but not yet. That's a little rich for an older proven player. I would try to add more pieces for Sam like a LT or a WR, via the draft.

Leonard does need to go. We need to go the way of Chandler Jones,trading at their maximum value.

18. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

LOL

FJF likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With the big $'s given to Bell and Mosely, and with even more big $ contract on the horizon (Anderson, Adams, Sam) and with so many holes the team really needs to fill with dawgs ($'s) there's no way Joe D throws trillions of dollars at a position of strength.

When we drafted Big Cat Leonard Williams #6 overall, we all saw the writing on the wall for Wilkerson. The same is now true for Leonard Williams with the drafting of Quinnon.

He's gone. Only question is when and for how much. There are several teams in desperate need of D-line help.

We will see.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With the team in a 2-3 year upgrade I can see JoeD spreading out the draft capital he gets. For example, instead of a 3rd and 5th in this draft, he may get a 3rd this draft and a 4th in 2021. He's probably open to this.