NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Beki

Beki Active Member

First of all, I think Joe Douglas will need min 2 offseasons to turn the things around or simply: the mess what Maccagnan caused.
    We will have proper amount of cap space and top picks to start it in next offseason.

What I expect:
    - cut TruJo and Roberts, it is a must
    - replace 3-4 starting OL guys
    - let Leo Williams walk via free agency

Regarding WR position, a lot will depend on how RA will perform and Quincy's health.
    We all know that we have a lot of holes on our roster, so Joe's first draft must be a home run.

I agree that the focus should be on protecting Sam. If we won't be able to protect Sam and he will not develop as we would like, every other step doesn't matter, as we still won't have a franchise QB.
    So, I am on the board for drafting a franchise LT or WR1 guy in 1st round.

PS: I stil can't believe how Maccagnan could be hired as Jets GM...how in the hell...

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If the Jets have 5-6 picks in the first three rounds and use most on offense then that would be better than a decent start ( if the picks pan out ). Reading other posts there seems to be a general agreement about the state of the offense but a disagreement or a misunderstanding about how exactly the picks should be used - or on which positions. First of all as of now the Jets only have one pick in each round I think rounds 1 through 5. That's important to remember. I'm hoping with the trade deadline approaching Douglas is working the phones in regards to players such as L. Williams, R. Anderson, Maye, and possibly T. Johnson although I'd imagine he'd be a hard sell. If Douglas trades one of these players - most likely Williams - and picks up a high- to mid round third round pick for next year he's done well. Assuming the Jets finish with- let's see for argument's sake - the # 5 pick - I would think Douglas will be very active trying to trade down. The Jets need a lot of players. I'll pretend Douglas gets one extra high pick for 2020 ( I won't bother fantasizing about any 2021 picks he may get ) let's say a 2nd rounder. So with a 1st round pick, 2 second round picks, and 2 third round picks Douglas should be focusing on the following positions - OL, CB, EDGE, and WR. I've seen some posters suggest the Jets should just draft all OL until they " get it right " so to say. That's non sensical. You can't sink too many selections into one position this isn't the 1980s anymore when there were 12 round drafts and a lack of an effective FA system. Not to mention all of those rookie contracts would be up at the same time assuming most stick. I think Douglas would be doing very well if he comes out of the 2020 draft with a LT and C for the OL, a big play WR ( the Jets current WR depth is pitiful ) and at least one CB. Where and which rounds the players are selected doesn't matter as long as they can play. For instance I know Jeudy looks like the real deal but there are others who look promising that may be available in round 2. I know Chase Young looks good at EDGE but Darnold's protection has to come first. This team will not sniff the playoffs until that OL is built and the sooner the better....

As far as the rest of the OL goes you will probably see Douglas start on the that with FA. I'm expecting one solid signing - probably a guard. It wouldn't surprise me if the new guard replaces KO and Winters sticks around for one more year. Also Edoga will figure in at some point. Is he a tackle? Does he switch over to guard maybe ? A lot of variables. There will probably be several depth singings along the OL, DL, WR and especially at CB. I'm sure Douglas will also be looking at improving the pass rush but I'm not sure of who would be available in FA. Finding an EDGE in FA is extremely difficult - they are usually locked up before FA starts and if they are available they are extremely expensive and I can't see Douglas sinking a lot of money into one player at this point.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm all about protecting Sam as I feel like that is the way to build a successful NFL offense. But if the Jets end up with a pick that can for "sure" (I know I know... the draft is a crapshoot) get them a Julio Jones, AJ Green type apex predator at WR then even I would say you have to go that route and just do the best you can on the offensive line, be it spend money, shotgun approach with lower draft picks, "get it next year" whatever. Because AJ Green's and Julio Jones just don't come along that often.

But.... if the Jets go WR given the circumstances so help me god they better be sure they are getting absolute platinum. Anything less than Hall of Fame level guy and it better be offensive line imho.

sackexchange likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Jerry Jeudy fits the bill.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Looking at early mock drafts - assuming we end up with a top 5 pick - at this very early stage it is looking like one of:

- Andrew Thomas
    - Jerry Jeudy
    - Chase Young

I would be happy with any of those, probably in that order.

6. Thomas has to be more consistent.He gets easily rattled in pass pro once he gives up a pressure or 2. I have sincere concerns about his blocking coordination in space..he has a habit of his hands/feet both going dead in long pass sets or simply not being in sync. He may end up being a better fit at guard if this is not correctable.

Trey Adams of Washington has legit top 5 talent if he can stay healthy this whole year & ace his pre combine medical work up.Tristian Warfs out of Iowa bares watching & M Becton out of Louisville looks really enticing as a RT.

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If we grab 7 offensive linemen in this draft I wouldnt be upset.

Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

As bad as our OL is now, I don't see it getting 5 new starters next year. Also, next year's draft is supposed to have a deep class for WR's and we need at least 1 WR almost as badly as we need OL help.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'll take one Jerry Jeudy please.

NYJalltheway and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah but even if they theoretically did draft all offensive line i doubt everyone of them would start. I'm obviously being facetious, but it still wouldn't bother me that much if it did happen. I hope they do draft 2 offensive linemen minimum before round 5. It obviously depends if we could trade for more picks or not but if they went WR, OL, OL in the first 3 picks then I'd be super happy.

KurtTheJetsFan and CotcheryFan like this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

He's awesome but give me CeeDee Lamb out of Oklahoma.

blackssmagic and JetsNation06 like this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Thomas imho hands-wise has a good punch. That said, seems that Georgia's OL is the 2019 version of last year's hyped Wisconsin OL in that they've not yet lived up to their preseason billing (OG Solomon Kindley's injury notwithstanding). Another hyped OL (Iowa) has taken a downturn the past two weeks as well. As good as Tristen Wirfs is, he's posted back-to-back clinkers vs. Michigan (esp. in the 2nd half) and last Saturday vs. Penn St. (which was a good test). As for Wirf's teammate Alaric Jackson (LT), imho would pass on him - appears overrated. Need to give Bama's Alex Leatherwood, Auburn's 'Prince' and LSU's Cushenberry (mid-round center) more looks.

Trey Adams: after back-to-back years dealing with injuries kinda gave up on him. That said, he looked solid Saturday blocking in space vs. Arizona (Wildcat's D threw in the towel in the 2nd half after their offense self-destructed). Becton the behemoth imho could stand to play as 'big' (read nasty) as he is, e.g. bigger hand punch, finishing.

wewantsapp and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah no team would ever draft 5 OL in a single draft that's not the way the NFL works these days. Back when there were 14 and then 12 rounds you may have seen that approach ( with any position ) but now there are only 7 rounds to build a roster. As you say - I definitely think they will draft two OL ( high ) most likely a LT and a C.

Leicester Jet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

Pepsiguy5 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. Havent seen any of him..ill hafta find sometime to take a gander.

It’s important that we take the right kind of linemen to put around Sam that compliment His style of play & also fit a zone running scheme. Linemen who can win the initial surge so he can get a good base underneath him(when he makes his best throws), can stay on their feet w a good motor for off schedule extended plays & a long wingspan so they are hard to get around in space.

16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

After a cursory peek I'm liking what I see. Especially if (heh... "IF" ) the Jets actually win a few games the rest of the season now that Darnold is back and we're not getting a top 3 pick like looked to be a borderline certainty a few days ago.

17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

There is no point to draft Jerry Jeudy if that's our OL. Imagine if Jeudy was on this team last night, he would have done nothing since no one can block lol

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

2020 DRAFT ORDER - UPDATED TODAY (Tues. 10/22)

1. Cincinnati Bengals (0-7)
    2. Miami Dolphins (0-6)
    3. Washington Redskins (1-6)
    4. Atlanta Falcons (1-6)
    5. New York Jets (1-5)
    6. New York Giants (2-5)
    7. Los Angeles Chargers (2-5)
    8. Denver Broncos (2-5)
    9. Cleveland Browns (2-4)
    10. Miami Dolphins (from PIT)

mrjet80 and jilozzo like this.
  19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

20. CotcheryFan

I'd prefer a C, OT, or WR in round 2 depending on what happens in round 1.