The DLine and Leo's future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

#Jets Folorunso Fatukasi finished with a 83.0 overall grade in Week 6 which was the highest on the teams’ defense and the 7th highest among NFL DI’s with a minimum of 25 snaps played. #TakeFlight

Fatukasi has really turned a corner here from camp and now he's starting to be a big time contributor on the line. Combine that with Quinnen, who's looked good, Phillips, the recent extension of one year for McLendon and Anderson (iirc he's here for 1 more year?)...I'm kinda curious if Douglas would really trade Leo for draft capital. Between that and I'm sure the brass is wondering if they feel allocating 13-14 mill or so to Leo for 3-4 years is a wise decision.

Pags2112 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This is a good group with vets (Mclendon & Anderson) & young (Williams , Fatucasi, & Philips) inexpensive group. Leo is a double edged sword...1- not playing well & 2- cost if we keep him. Get what we can, & move on.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Leo is the perfect candidate to try and play the comp pick game. He is a prime 3rd round pick in 2021 comp which makes him worth a 2nd in the upcoming draft. If someone offers a 2nd take it. If not let him walk and take the pick a year later.

4. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Problem with this is that this team has a lot of holes and I believe they have lots of cap flexibility over the next couple years. So if Douglas signs a bunch of FAs they get no comp pick for Leo if the number of FA signings outnumber the number/quality of lossed FAs......which means we don't get a comp pick. So I say take whatever you can get now if its a 3 or greater. 3 and 5 sounds about right.

Peebag, Pags2112, CBG and 4 others like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

leo is kind of a luxury. he does a lot more then people here give him credit for. he's far from shitty. with that said though if we can land a good draft pick for him i'd be ok with trading him. as you said we have anderson locked in for a few more years. we drafted Q 3rd overall, extended mclendon for another season so he's here for 2020 and UDFA phillips looked great as did foley. nathan shepard also comes back after the NE game. We have some cap issues next offseason not bad issues but issues in that we probably can't afford to keep leo anyway and have lots of holes to fill in FA and the draft (LT, C, maybe a G as well on the o-line, CB, WR, Edge) and some people we need to resign who are free agents (hewitt, jenkins, robby)

Mr mittens and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

You have it backwards though. a 3rd round 2021 pick is worth a 4th round 2020 pick technically.
    one site had a good point that his value should be similar to that of fowler who was traded to the rams for a 3rd and a 5th. If we can get that package i'd be pretty happy with it

7. FJF

You’re right I had it backwards. I would take a 3 and a 5 though

CBG and GasedAndConfused like this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Ship this underachieving fatty out.

That said, I wouldn’t let him go for anything less than a second to be honest.

Jets_Grinch and CotcheryFan like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I would probably take a 3rd rounder, but I agree when multiple teams come knocking on your door that very well could drive the price up to a 2nd rounder or maybe a player & a 3, or multiple picks. We have all the leverage, it's a sellers market with Leo.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO we'll never get a comp pick for Leo. You know that Douglas is going to sign some FAs next year. IMO the only way we'll get any compensation for Leo is if we trade him.

11. NCJetsfan

Why? You think he's an underachiever and overweight. We won't get a comp pick for him. Douglas will sign several FAs, so we won't get a comp pick for him if we let him walk. I'd take anything we go for him. Hopefully several teams will want him and drive up what the Jets get, but I'd take a 7th rounder for him. That should have more value going forward than whatever Leo does on the field this year.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Bears need a DL especially in that division. 49ers are running wild on teams as well maybe the Rams or Seahawks get intrigued.

Philly also needs some DL help with Jackson and Jernigan out.

Kansas City’s defense sucks, they could use help.

Douglas has ties to a few organizations, maybe he can make something happen.

13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not really a double-edged sword. That's a swrod with only one edge, but it's doubly sharp.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Precisely my point, I've always been a Leo fan but his impact really isn't as big to warrant shelling out the cash IMO when the Jets have tons of holes to fill. The flip side maybe Leo makes these guys able to get free by being a vocal point of DC's gameplan on the front line. Either way I believe the Jets have built up a nice stable of defensive linemen, all of which have contributed nicely recently.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

A 3rd & 5th I take at the deadline regardless of record, a 2nd I take immediately.

I like Leo, more than most on here but we can’t resign him. The depth on the DL is very good plus he’s just not the type of player you pay big money to

Joe D needs more draft picks and Leo is the perfect way to make that happen.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Most GMs around the League will see through the glossy comments made by our CS about Bad Hair Day. It's gonna be a 3rd rounder and change for that Bust

I can still remember the Hype surrounding Leo at Draft time ...of course Macagnan bought right into it

BPA? BPA? NEVER again!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

If you want me to be honest, ready to take a bag of peanuts for him but I believe we aren't the only dumb organization in the NFL. A play off bound team with a hole in their Defensive Line will be illusioned by his 6th overall draft status and think Jets screwed up with him and pay up.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that, given the right circumstance, Leo is traded to one of the playoff-bound teams looking to bolster the line this year. (Injuries do happen, you know.) Jalen Ramsey was traded for troves of draft picks not so long ago; while I am not expecting Leo to command multiple 1's, he won't go for a bag of peanuts and a chump change either.

Brook! likes this.
  19. FJF

Teams aren’t illusioned by draft status from 4 years ago. They will look at tape and decide fit.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I agree that some team may be willing to give more than a 3rd, but maybe not. So because no team is willing to offer us a 2nd round pick, we keep him and then let him walk as a FA and get nothing in return? No.

We should try to get the highest pick and/or most picks for him we can, but in the end, we need to move him for whatever we can get, even if that's only a 7th round pick. That will be better than letting him walk next year and not getting anything for him. We won't get a comp pick for him. Douglas will most likely sign at least 3-4 FAs.

If Douglas tries to get greedy, we may wind up losing him and getting nothing in return. I'm convinced that's what happened with Mac and not trading down this year. He thought some team was going to give him a ransom to trade, and when they only made a fair or reasonable offer, he turned them down because he was in love with Q. Williams.

#20 NCJetsfan, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019