Congratulations on your first Jet win coach Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

One thing I'll give Gase props on is he never took his foot off the gas and continued to be aggressive instead of playing it cautious with a lead ... that was refreshing .

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Really? I didn’t notice that....

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Adam Gase is 1-4 bringing a win to the NYJs!!! :mad::mad::mad:

JetsVilma28 and 94Abraham like this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

The team looked much better today. Congrats Gase for getting his first win.

It was nice to see the offense stay aggressive in the second half. I figured Sam would have more rust having not played in 4 weeks, but he looked very solid. He wasn't perfect by any means, but he was much better than I thought he would look today. Even though some of the throws weren't crisp, and he missed some open receivers; that stuff should get cleared up in the coming weeks. The most impressive thing I saw from Sam today was his movement inside the pocket. The offensive line still looked like they were on roller skates for the most part, and Sam just moved in and out of space with ease. After watching 4 weeks of Falk, I'm even more impressed with the kid than I've ever been.

Finally some plays with multiple back sets. Am I the only one clamoring for more 3 back sets (Bell, Montgomery, and Powell)? Especially with no Herndon out there. Seems like it would be a coverage mismatch. I'd much rather see that then see anymore 1 yard throws to the wideouts. I just don't see any of our WRs as the type to get huge dividends from those plays. Just seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

#64 rockyusmc2003, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Baker Mayfield looks fat to me.

[​IMG]

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Pretty proud of Sam today. All things considered I thought he took his little high tech flak jacket out there and did better than could have reasonably been expected. I think his biggest asset is actually his mind. It doesn't take him long to figure the mess out and at least try to do the right thing which is a good asset to have when your OL is complete shit. If they ever get to where he's getting time to safely operate I think we're going to start seeing some pretty dramatic results.

I also noted that for once, finally, some of Leo's production wasn't hidden. It was actually tangible and non-professional evaluators like myself could actually see it.

Also, I've been trying to pay as much attention as possible to Edoga during his first two starts here and I have to say I've been fairly encouraged. He may not be a pro bowler but I'm almost starting to think he could actually be part of the solution moving forward. I'd be interested to see what his rankings/ratings are from whoever does that stuff for OL guys. Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see but it seems like he's becoming solid as he gains experience.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Darnold may well have saved Gase's job today. As long as Sam stays healthy and plays, Gase's job is likely secure, but he is no offensive genius. He did show a few new wrinkles - FINALLY! - but the offense is still not great. Maybe - hopefully - it will improve as Sam plays more and the OL improves. Still too early to get Gase's bust ready for Canton though as some here might want to.

SOJAZ, Jets69 and Noam like this.
  8. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Preach it, brother. I agree totally.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He probably took the pressure off for a little while, especially considering how pathetic our ownership here is. Gase's job shouldn't be secure in any way, though. For a guy hired for his offensive acumen, he's been worse than abysmal in that department so far. I don't care what excuses he has, everyone is playing through injuries and roster deficiencies. The product he put on the field through the first quarter of the season was not acceptable by any standard of measure. Just because it resembled at times a competent (i.e. average) NFL product today shouldn't take him off the hot seat.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I realize everyone is giddy from a win...but we should have walked away in the 2nd half.

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Not convinced

he is what his record is

below 500

and today he couldn’t do shit in the second half

Sam saved his bacon.
    Still stupid penalties and bad communication

jets_fan likes this.
  12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

No offense to people complaining about the offense in the second half. Besides the kneel down at the end, Jets had the ball only three times. Two of the times they had good drives, the first (of course) ended in the INT and the second ended in the FG after Darnold missed on third down. Did the Jets offense put the game away? Obviously not, but it's not like they were inept. They missed on a couple of third down plays that could have sealed it.

IMHO, the problem with the Jets in the second half was the defense. They did give up almost 240 yards and their rush defense looked like Swiss Cheese much of the second half. The gave up two TD's (albeit helped by the refs), one FG, and one missed FG in four Dallas drives - all drives were at least 10 plays. Definitely not stellar.

FJF, All Gas No Shake, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

I don't like how we allowed Buffalo to come back against us and I hated our 4th calling play calling today up 12 in the 4th and it comes down to a two pt attempt. Run the fucking ball and eat up some freaking clock.

Sam Darnold is going to be great and it's not because of "Gase".

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Running the ball chews up clock, but it also increases the likelihood of a three and out. Which would have really killed us; we needed those last three points in the end.

FJF and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree, there's no reason the offense under Siemian and Falk should have been that bad. Siemian has put together halfway decent games before (and he was playing that bad before he broke his leg), and even Falk was a drafted QB. The Steelers just got undrafted Devlin Hodges, who I'd never heard of before tonight, to win a game.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Come on we put up 24 points yesterday, compared to our average of 7 points prior, it was a offensive output of the ages, hail the offensive genius

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Maybe next time the QB misses a couple games we don’t go full retard on this board and call for the coaches to be fired

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They were extremely aggressive in the 2H which allowed them to move down the field and kick a FG to make it an 8 point game opposed to going run-run-run and punt. If Sam makes a good throw to Crowder (or hits Robby like some posters are saying he missed) on that 3rd down play before the FG we run the clock out and the game is over. Not getting any points out of the drive where Darnold threw a pick in the RZ was the one that even allowed this game to get close.

FJF and SOJAZ like this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

A concern, sure, but did we really fade? Dallas got the run game going and ate up a ton of clock which limited the opportunities on O. That was bit concerning for the D but they held up fairly well. We also had two long drives, one of which ended in a pick, the other of which - rightly as it turned out - ended in us playing conservatively once we got in FG range and scoring the points that ultimately won it. The box score didn't reflect how well the O moved the ball with limited possession in the second half. Had the O completely collapsed as it has in the past due to the opponent's adjustments I'd be far more concerned.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That's how I saw it. It's not like they didn't run, it's just that when they did it was 2/3 yard gains. The O was never getting ahead on down and distance. If there had been 6/7 yard gains it would have been different. The passing game was clearly functioning well though. You stick to what is working.

NCJetsfan likes this.