salt in an open wound

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by chandler, Oct 7, 2019.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Let's remember it took the Colts a good 4-5 years to realize their OL was a problem and actually fix it. By the time it was fixed their franchise QB was finished...tough lesson but a valuable one to teams like the Jets with up and coming QBs. The OL has to get done now!

NCJetsfan and Fiftynine like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Edge was there for the taking at 3 this year, but because he wasn't the BPA................. Removed any doubt in my mind that we needed a new GM.

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Its how I knew I was on the fringe of giving up on this shit fest of a team.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

In 2017, I was shocked when he took S Maye right after he took S Adams a pick earlier. And then, he uses the next TWO picks on back- to- back WRs Stewart and Hansen (WTF???), neither of whom are/were worth a crap. He ended that remarkable 2017 draft taking two MORE DBs in round 6. All told, that moronic 2017 draft by Mike MacIdiot totaled FOUR DBs, 3 receivers and ZERO OL and DL. Dumb shit. Again, he should have been fired after THAT draft. What took them so long?

5. While i was pissed about taking back to back safeties & ignoring the O,the overall 2017 draft strategy really didnt bother me bc clearly the plan going in was to address boundary talent which frankly was/is just as piss poor as the OL.We can all disagree & wish those picks were OL but at least it was a cohesive plan.Contrary to popular belief on this site you CAN build outside-in.Im not sure thats what the overall plan was from a wider scope, but really had no problem at trying to get more athletic to match up/make plays on the outside.

The execution however?Beyond putrid. That said we hit on 3 more of those picks,we shrug our shoulders at the lack of OL picks.

Now to your point 3 OL picks over a 5year span?Downright idiotic & reprehensible.

tomdeb, NCJetsfan, FJF and 2 others like this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Neither Minshew or Allen would do well behind our o-line. The problem runs deeper than QB. After watching what the Colts did vs. Chiefs put the stamp on what a good O-line can do for a team. Is our problem the scheme or the players. I think most of our OL is at the time in there careers when they are losing there edge & are one step away from retirement. Kalil, KO, Winters, Beachum. Shell is the only one I was thinking I would hold a position for us next year, but he's not been playing well either. Which brings me back to the Question, is it the scheme, or are all these guys crapping out at the same time? Douglas has to do a major rebuild to the o-line. Free up some cash & get new younger blood on the O-line. We'd save aprox. 35-40 mil. If we let all our starting O-line walk next year.

#46 BudJet, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    mrjet80 likes this.
  7. mrjet80

That may very well be the plan. I had hopes for Shell but he seems to have regressed unless he's not 100% right from his injury last Dec.

In reality the Jets are going to replace at the very least 3 positions, maybe even 4 on the OL next season. LT and C for sure and I would imagine KO may not be sticking around either. I'm sure Douglas is not enamored with his contract details. Shell is a FA too. Guys like Edoga and Lewis from the Ravens could factor in. Winters may stick around another year - not because he's top quality but because it's awfully hard to replace all 5 positions in one swoop. Plus he will have a year remaining on his contract and he's relatively affordable in comparison to a guy like KO.

But we'll see how it plays out. I'm saying 3 new starters acquired from draft/FA and possibly another starter from the current roster.

tomdeb likes this.
  8. mrjet80

Josh Allen should have been the pick.

FJF likes this.
  9. mrjet80

Yes it boiled down to a GM making selections who quite frankly was not very good at player evaluations - judging by his work. Mac was OK with contracts, the salary cap, and making the small print back page trade. He should not of been in charge of those drafts.....

10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

And while he showed a tendency to trade down in middle or later rounds (where he sucked ass), both this year and two years ago he did not in the first round though it would have made more sense.

Allen and Burns are looking pretty dynamic from this years lot; and I'm reading good things about Oliver too

two years ago he could have gone QB

it's not just needs; it's no idea of positional value or how to build a team

oh well, would rather not dwell on the past. I don't wish him ill will but i will be surprised if he has another GM-like job in the NFL

11. CotcheryFan

Yup, Allen or Bosa(who was no longer an option when we were on the clock).

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

The good thing is that one good offseason can change the team's outlook in a hurry. It seems like Douglas has a plan on how to build the team(through the trenches) and knows he wants players who are passionate about football. It's safe to say that he would've taken Winovich in round 3 instead of Polite if he didn't address Edge in round 1.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

agreed. I am also hopeful because he's been around winning organizations. Totally appreciate that far more is needed but that background will help

when you're picking in the later rounds you need a strategy. You should either be picking a player you feel can develop into your system (as i mentioned in other posts the old redskins would pick underweight OL with good foot work feeling they could put mass on them), or perhaps it's a player peculiarly suited for your system (e.g., Winovich for the Pats, (just like their converted QBs for slot receiver))

Macc on the other hand tended to pick broken down players hoping they'd rebound, low character guys, and very rarely got a player who was even serviceable for a few years. It's mind boggling how few have played meaningful snaps (forget about having an impact). He's not even drafting JAGs

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Osemele has been better than Winters, but only marginally. I have to believe that is because of the blocking scheme. With a better/different blocking scheme, I think Osemele can still be a very effective OG. Osemele could be released and the Jets could save $11.7 million. OTOH, perhaps his contract could be renegotiated/extended and his cap hit lowered. I'd rather keep him than Winters if we're going to keep one of our OGs. Cutting Winters would save us $7.5 million. There would be no dead money with either.

Douglas could opt to re-sign Shell to a cheap one or two-year deal, and let him compete for the RT spot. If he wins the RT spot and plays better we have some continuity there, and a relatively cheap starter. If he loses the competition, Douglas could keep him for depth for a year or release him. If Douglas really wanted to get some additional cap space, he could release both Winters and Osemele and save $19.2 million. That would have to be very tempting. He might then re-sign Lewis and Compton for depth/competition, sign another OG in FA and then draft one. Unless Edoga develops in a hurry, I don't think he can be counted on for much of anything next season. Who knows, Douglas may think him a worthless pick and even cut him, but probably will keep him since he's cheap. Kalil and Beacham definitely need to be gone.

15. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Everyone can scream and yell until they're blue in the face saying do this and do that. The reality is the team will continue to do whatever is in the best interests of the league, even if that means continuing to suck moosecock for a prolonged period of time.

Now why would the Jets shitting the bed on a continuous basis be in the best interests of the league? Well, for one, the league does not want all the best teams concentrated in just one area of the country. They prefer to have the good teams spread out all over the country to keep the interest uniform and the bucks/tv ratings coming in from all over. This is why they have made sure that a team has never played a Super Bowl in their home stadium.

A team sucking for eternity also sets up a juicy rags to riches story for those who are paying attention. The Steelers and 49ers were garbage for a very long time until they "miraculously" started building a dynasty. How about the Red Sox and the Cubs in MLB?

Finally, do you really think the Johnson's really give a flying fart if you stay home or do not watch the games anymore? Unless the entire league collapses, they will still make a killing on their investment. Don't kid yourself, the losing franchises, just as much as the winning ones, are big business for the NFL. Who do you think pays for most of those brand new shiny stadiums which immediately become a drain on a city's finances?

This is why teams like the Jets hire a schmuck like Gase and sell him via media talking heads like he is some football genius prodigy, whatever the hell that means. One for all and all for one doesn't only apply to the Three Musketeers.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Is it wrong that I'm already looking forward to the first Douglas offseason?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Yes because it’s only week 5 but no because Douglas is our only glimmer of hope going forward so I, too, am excited about his first offseason.

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. mrjet80

And what a shame we as fans always seem to be talking about the upcoming offseason in October - year after year after year .......

ColoradoContrails and PabloJa like this.
  19. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Thank god for me as a fan it’s only been year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year.

20. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Excellent! Yes, I have been preaching an OL for the Jets for the last several years. How did the Colts with an inferior QB like Brissett win that game? This game clearly shows why an offensive line play is so important!
    With the Chief's OL hurting, all of a sudden their offense was not so explosive.

Look at all the times Brady and the Pats offense have been beaten in the playoffs. The Giant's DL beat the Patriots OL in both Super Bowls. The Broncos at home dominated the Pats OL before winning their Super Bowl.

I don't care what offensive scheme you run, the Wishbone, West Coast, E-P, Coryell, Wildcat, Spread, or Pistol, you gotta have an OL to be effective!

Think about it, 5 out of 11 guys (almost half) on your offense main's purpose is to block. When you need to get a yard or two for a 1st down or TD, you are going to need these interior beasts. I should add extra blocking from backs, tight ends, and receivers also make up part of the blocking scheme. An offense that can not block will never be successful! This is so fundamental, yet the so-called football experts in the media who are ex QBs mostly will tell you it is all about the friggin QB. We are all are being brainwashed on this.

If the Jets had Mahomes at QB, do you really think that would solve all their problems on offense?

chandler likes this.