Sam Darnold's Return!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 24, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Buffalo would be 2-3 right now if kickers could kick

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Darnold dimes was here 1st...lol

FJF likes this.
  3. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Sam is still a rookie, and still needs to develop and the only way he will do that is lmwith game experience. So I dont get why people would want him to sit? It's not like he is sitting and observing Brady/Manning operate.

As far as Gase is concerned we seen him with Darnold in the game vs Bill's. Sam played well and we should have won. That game is not on Gase nor Darnold. Also we seen Bill's shut Tom Brady for god sake, so that game is actually very promising. The thing with Darnold is he reads defenses quick, and knows where he wants to go quickly. He also knows how to improvise, and throw guys open which is what makes Sam a potential top 10 QB in this league.

What i cant stand abt Gase more than anything is he kept throwing Falk out there. I can see, and everyone can see, that Falk has no business being on an NFL field. We had 3 weeks to find a suitable Qb besides Siemian. That is more of an issue to me than the play calling, or the losing.

If Darnold Plays this week, and is healthy this team will be dangerous. The defense is playing solid with missing pieces. If we score on offense the defense will be able to really get after the other team. But since we are always playing from behind, coach William's has to hold back a little.

Let's hope Darnold comes back, this season is not over. You gotta believe this team, with this Sam as the Qb will turn it around... Why not us, why not this year?

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam on The Michael Kay Show seemed to think he will be cleared tomorrow. Maybe I am just reading into how he talked or wishful thinking, but I bet he is cleared from how he was talking.

azhar80 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Nice post.

There is absolutely no reason to sit Sam because the “OLine” is bad. That is an awful take and should be taken out behind the barn and shot.

azhar80, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Give all the announcers and analysts mono, f em.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Someone will have to kiss Suzy Kolber

8. Dont forget New England..their well versed in creepy man kissing & theres no shortage of love from the talking heads.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I know where youre going but Collinsworth is a bad example. He absolutely would go nuts if Darnold made that same play because he gags on every cock in the NFL constantly. He has to eat cat litter to absorb all the cum loads he swallows

11. GreenInTheBowl

You're completely missing the point.

When the doctors clear him to play, this simply means that the spleen is no longer at risk. In essence, he's not going to suffer a devastating injury directly from a hit to the spleen.

That's great. But he's also been limited in practice, in the weight room, in cardio, and overall synchronicity and repetition with his teammates for over a month. and has had no time to get back to his normal routine whatsoever. I'm no doctor, this is just common sense. These are some of the fiercest athletes on the planet you're throwing him out there against. The mere fact that he's not at the top of his game going into Sunday against the Cowboys puts him at risk of injury.

Not to mention the fact that you'd be putting him at the helm of one of the worst offensive units in the history of professional football. And I HATE when teams coddle young QB's, but this is an extreme situation to say the least.

I'm curious to know why you think Darnold playing next week would be a positive in any sense, especially after watching Falk take 10 sacks, TEN SACKS. Why not at least give him a couple of weeks to get back into form?

It would be different if this was even a fringe playoff team, but let's all be honest with ourselves here

BrickcityJet likes this.
  12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Buffalo would be 5-0 if they outscored the other team.

Aero and Royal Tee like this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Sit Sam for the year because we're afraid he'll get hurt? That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've read. He's a pro football player for god's sake.

I want to see Sam calling his own protections, making his reads, extending plays, delivering on target to open receivers, and changing the plays at the line when necessary. None of which Falk is capable of doing.

On paper this line was worse last year. Watch that film of Sam's 2018 TD passes, you can see that he was under duress on almost every one of them, yet he delivered. We added 2 former pro-bowlers to the line. They need cohesion, they need a leader, they need Sam.

Brook!, NYJetsO12, azhar80 and 3 others like this.
  14. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

This o-line is bad, but it won't look as bad with Sam in there. Quick reads, better protection scheme changes at the line, and better pocket mobility mean a lot. Add that the defense will need to play a little safer rather than pinning their ears back because the box is stacked. This does NOT exonerate Gase by any stretch, as he should have been able to at least put together a close to competitive gameplan. However, it will look better with him. Not necessarily GOOD, but better.

azhar80 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed. If Sam is healthy enough to play, then you play him. You don't refuse to play your #1 QB because you are worried about him getting hurt. The Jets OL has looked incredibly bad, but I bet it will look better with Darnold at the helm. Will it look all-world? Probably not. Might Darnold end up getting hurt? It's a possibility.

However, unless you want to just forfeit the game, you play healthy players if they are better than the alternative - especially in the 5th game of a QB's second season. If it's the 16th game of campaign then you might sit him.

Small sample size, but Darnold with mono and this sh*tty line had almost 25 more QB rating points against the Bill's than Brady, Manning, Mariota, and Dalton. Also Bell has averaged .8 yards per carry more with Darnold at the helm than his backups. Do you think he wants to continue playing with some stiff QB?

Brook! and azhar80 like this.
  16. GreenInTheBowl

"On paper" the Browns were supposed to be an offensive powerhouse, and one of the favorites to win the AFC. Have you actually watched them play?

As talented as Sam may be, he can't turn water into wine. This line is among the worst in the league, possibly the history of the league, end of story.

We might actually appear competitive offensively when he comes back, and I hope we do. My argument is that we should not send him back, even with a fully healthy spleen, if he is not 100% prepared and in playing shape.

Call him a pro, but he's also a 22 year old quarterback, only two years in college and less than a season's worth of games under his belt, learning a brand new system, under a new HC desperate to resurrect his phony reputation as an "offensive guru" at any cost.

My argument is to give him at least a week to get prepared and into shape AFTER the spleen is no longer at risk, and there are no limitations on his preparation for the game. Why wouldn't we? He isn't a seasoned pro with a solid foundation in front of him. If it were Brady or Roethlisberger coming back off of mono it would be a different story.

At least give him the time to work with this O-line, so he can call protections, change plays, etc, as you argued

grkmanga31 and BrickcityJet like this.
  17. Vida

Vida Active Member

I hear ya mate. But with our QB out, a terrible oline and defensive backfield and then some key pieces on defense going down it was always going to be an uphill battle. We needed everything to go right to have a chance at a wildcard, losing to the Bills and Browns effectively finished our season with the personnel we have available.

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'm not completely missing the point. This was already addressed earlier in the thread.

If you think an NFL athlete taking a month off means he's no longer "at the top of his game", then you need to rethink the situation.

Not to mention Darnold was cleared for full practice minus contact. So he's already been running and throwing for a week now.

I'm still trying to understand where you get the idea that an athlete loses anything by taking a month off. I don't know if you have ever played a sport at a high level, but if you had, you would know that's complete horseshit. In fact, there are many times athletes intentionally take long periods of time off to heal and recover. Obviously this isn't the case during the season, but thinking that a month off does anything to his game is ridiculous

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If Namath couldn't do it then I don't know who will.

Brook! likes this.
  20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Man I’ve never wanted shrinkage so bad in my entire life. Cmon spleen, you got this!