Brian Costello (NY Post) just hit it out of the park

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The product on the field is shit because the league continues tinkering with the game to get the results they desire and fulfill their financial agenda. The coaches are insignificant to the game; they're just interchangeable tools. You also have horrendous officiating, or more likely, they want you to think it's awful officiating so you would not think the games are rigged.

What else we got? Oh yeah, penalties which split hairs so they can turn the result of a game on a dime. Although the NFL is big, the gambling business is a lot bigger. The league is obviously trying to condition a new breed of fan into watching and enjoying this garbage. This is why you have a zillion football shows with a bunch of obnoxious and annoying characters working them.

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I think he has hinted at this a few time -- e.g., football is a game of wills. I read those comments as he will be looking for certain intangibles that are tough to measure at the combine -- toughness, smarts, hyper-competitiveness.

I'd like to think we can only go up from here, but time will tell

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I remember he said something about finding players who hate to lose almost as much as they want to win during his introductory presser.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This is going to be brutal for the next year or two peeling back the Maccagnan and Idzik onion layers. These two clowns bankrupted our youth talent pool and set the organization back at least a decade and a half with their incompetence.

Even if Douglas is successful, he most likely will get fired before the success comes to fruition. If the Jets do find success I'm sure the next GM will get accredited for the efforts when in reality it was Douglas who framed the infrastructure.

Editing for the bolded part

#64 GQMartin, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You might be right, but with the timeframes you're talking about, I'll be dead.

GQMartin likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'll be 37 in a couple weeks. Hopefully many more miserable years of football ahead of me.

As much as I want to be passionate about another team (I would say the Packers are my default rooting team when the Jets suck) I just can't find the same level of passion.

I can't even find the heart to watch other NFL games EVEN with fantasy team players involved.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I've seriously tried finding an alternative to the Jets, but heart has never been in it. If I give up on them - and this year might be it - I probably won't watch football anymore, the NFL and the NCAA are both joke anyway with how they manipulate outcomes and other gimmicks to boost entertainment value. I might watch more soccer, but I'll just be satisfied with baseball which has always been my favorite sport anyway. And fuck fantasy football!

8. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

What About them Broncos? I'm the same, I just can't pick another team to follow. I have invested to much in the Jets.

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

A decade? They have the most important player, a QB. In the modern NFL that's 90% of the deal.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think the patience for Gase is at least giving him a chance to have Sam Darnold as his quarterback for a stretch of games since he was brought in to develop him... not Luke Falk. Once Darnold comes back if the offense looks like a turd, then yeah, let that patience run thin. Either way, to fire Gase during the season and before Darnold comes back would make this organization look like a bigger joke than it already is.

Soccer is more interesting right now anyway. Even if some of the domestic leagues are kind of predictable, the games are at least fun and Champions League is the greatest competition in the world. I'm sick of Patriots every year (regardless of my dislike for the franchise) and the same nonsense over and over in the NFL, especially as the game keeps changing for the worse in regards to rules and the politicization of it all.

#70 LeonNYJ, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

But history shows it's clearly not. Look at Andrew Luck, for instance. Cam Newton, Rivers, Matt Ryan...and these are QBs that have proven themselves in the league who really haven't had much success in the post season.

QB is no doubt a large portion of the formula but you have to get the other portions of the formula right.

Having a good QB and a decent surrounding cast can put you in perennial contention (discussions) but luck and having the dominoes fall in your favor puts you over the edge.

The Jets have have not been good enough in this era for luck to play favor in their direction.

12. ColoradoContrails

I actually sort of rooted for them when they had Elway. I always like their old mostly orange unis too. I still lived in NY, and the Jets still sucked, so there was no real danger of having to make a choice of who to root for in the playoffs - the Jets were never in them. But after I lived in Colorado for a little while and was surrounded by the official state religion of Broncomania, I got turned off, and just embraced the masochism of being a Jets fan. I tell people who ask that it's my "penance" for being a Yankees fan.

13. ColoradoContrails

I don't think the bold is possible. They're the longest, continuing running joke in the NFL. Everyone who watches the NFL knows what "SOJ" means. Even thee "Aints" and their paperbags over their heads finally turned it around and became respectable. When you're at the bottom, there's nowhere else to go but up, so do whatever it takes, including taking chances.

I followed soccer for quite a while, especially when I was coaching it, but while not as bad as the NFL, thee Premier League and the same couple of teams always winning made me lose interest. I might try again, or one of the other top leagues, because the NFL is becoming a joke.

14. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

You should support my team - Sheffield United. So many parallels with the Jets its uncanny. 30 years of supporting both and so many years of pain. The Blades have been fun for the last few years (top notch chap at the helm) and dragged them selves into the Premiership for one year at least.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

15. ColoradoContrails

I'll check them out. Strange what a good coach can do, huh?

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

This IMO is key in all sport. Of course everyone like to win. That doesn't distinguish anyone

It's the ones who hate to lose who more often "find a way" to win those close ones --- they dig deeper,fight harder, [insert platitude here].

17. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

Yep. Our coach has shown what motivation can do. He is getting the best our of average players and the team buy--in to his way of doing things is just superb.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I like that...

People always ask me why I'm a Jets fan...and I'm running out of good reasons.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

20. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I always considered Jets - Yankees fans to be a little phony.

If you're a Jets fan, you should have to suffer with the Mets too. It makes it real.