salt in an open wound

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by chandler, Oct 7, 2019.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

did anyone see the Colts/Chiefs last night

Indianapolis drafted Q. Nelson and B. Smith with our picks from the Darnold draft (as part of their haul for the #3 pick). They were beasts.

We need a few of those guys!!

Patriot and grkmanga31 like this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Nah fuck that. I prefer 3-4 DL with premium picks.

JETS1116, Peebag, PabloJa and 7 others like this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Douglas sees what the Colts are doing and copy it. I believe we'll have a top 10 pick. Hopefully a top 5 and we can do what the Colts did to us. Someone comes up for a wr or qb and we can trade back and get as many picks as possible to rebuild the offensive line and skill positions.

4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Best case scenario, is we get our starters back, and are very competitive but lose enough to get that top 10 draft spot. We get to evaluate players, learn who to cut/trade and make a case for potential FA this off-season to come here to an up and coming team

Buuuuuuuut...........we ARE still the Jets and we are STILL run by the Johnsons....so there's that

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree. Lets be competitive give us something to look forward to next year. Really been unwatchable the last few weeks. Get an early pick. Hopefully get a haul for it where we can turn the team around. Hopefully Douglas and the group he surrounded himself with are good and they get us the right people.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am sick of this "evaluating" we always seem to be doing. We have been evaluating the past 3 years and the conclusion is...we suck.

The evaluation is already done in my mind anyway; Darnold, Adams, Bell, Mosley, Q. Williams, Adams, and Maye are our core players. Then we have Herndon, Henry Anderson, Cashman, Jenkins, and maybe Crowder/Robby as solid pieces, but certainly not all stars. I'm sure its also possible Edoga or Wesco, or even an UDFA surprises in the future. The rest more or less is utter trash and there is no way we should re-sign them other than very low depth at a cheap cost.

Douglas needs to have the offseason Mac should have had with $100 million in cap, only he wont have that much money to spend. Douglas is going to have to ACTUALLY ADDRESS our needs and not get distracted by bright and shiny objects in free agency like most our of GMs in the past have done. Our needs are very simple...offensive line, cornerback, pass rush (and they've been our needs for nearly a decade). He also needs to define what this team wants to do to succeed and the type of player makeup that will entail. Only then will be better than a bottom feeder in the league.

7. STARoSCREAM

I think we're all sick of it, but what other silver lining do you propose? some sort of logical strategy to the position we are currently in? You think thisteam with the obvious drought of talent is going to somehow turn it around to an 8-8 season?

You think the o-line is going to just "gel" all of a sudden and begin to pass protect? The corners suddenly learn to cover? We don't have the talent to turn the season around, i'm sorry to say.

It seems to always be about the off-season with this franchise, and when the regular season begins, seems we are already talking about the off-season always earlier than we should

twown, NYJalltheway and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I get more upset seeing teams like Jacksonville (Minshew) and Carolina (Allen) finding success out of their backup QB's.

9. Maybe this is masochistic but the silver lining is shoving another dreadful 1-2 wins if we’re lucky season down this idiotic incompetent ownership’s throats bc its the only thing they understand.CJ told us end of last season talent wasnt the problem..100m spent in FA later..is talent Still not a problem?!

The only thing these idiots understand is rock bottom.The slightest sliver of hope theyll crutch, to hold out on truly cleaning house & finally dropping the bullshit false bravado; God forbid hire a president of football operations..

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Would the Jaguars have the same results with Joshua Dobbs and Carolina with Will Grier?

Maybe, but doubtful.

Falk wasn't supposed to see the field at all. Not saying Siemien would be doing positive things but I can't fault our QB play.

The OL play, that's a completely different discussion. No excuses.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just as I thought at the time, that trade was a win for both clubs. Hopefully the Jets will get as lucky as the Colts did and can be the team that trades their high pick to a QB needy team.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The OL is certainly a mess of his own. I just don't need to hear Gase claim "Falk knows the system better than anyone" because he was with him in Miami last year. System clearly didn't work with the Dolphins....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No argument on this but Gase has no choice but to give Falk a vote of confidence (even if Gase doesn't actually have that conviction). You have to "fake it until you make it".

When you listen to Falk speak about the position, it's clear he's an intelligent kid and understands whats going on around him...he just can't execute on the field.

The strip sack for the TD was a prime example. You can't hold the ball for 7 seconds in this league no matter how good your line is.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The talent on the roster is at the non impact positions. At the impact positions, we have anything from awful to mediocrity.

A president of football ops would be nice, but how about giving Douglas control over football decisions and let him implement his plan. The jury is still out on him, but he has talked about how important the trenches are. Give him the freedom to replace Gase if he feels it's necessary and so far, it looks like it will be.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. STARoSCREAM

I hope he does address it Look how Quentin Nelson has helped to transform the Colts o-line. they were blowing the Chiefs off the ball last night on every run play. Marlon mack looks like a stud behind them. we ere spoiled with Brick and Mangold for 10 years of solid-stellar O-line play and havent done anything to address their replacements in the draft. Took a bunch of chances with FA pieces and look where that has us

16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I can understand that but remember Falk is a third string not a second string. Siemian is better...

17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes we do! But in all fairness those picks were traded to the Colts as part of the Darnold trade. The Jets needed that elusive franchise QB. What the Jets need to do this off-season is replicate that trade in reverse. This draft will be QB heavy at the top with the Jets being in the top 5. Trade down - even if it doesn’t result in a first round pick next year but several seconds and thirds I would take that. Rebuild that OL, get some CBs, and we’ll see what FA offers too. The Jets will have some decent money available.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We're back to where we were with Sanchez in 2011. Shit OL, zero threats outside that can get free, horrible offensive scheme.... We're relying on the defense to score points for the offense.

It's a broken record.

It's a joke.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not salt in the wound, we needed a qb and got one. Good trade for both teams.

Aero and BrickcityJet like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, watching any competent team just adds to the mountain of frustration I have with the Jets, but I don't begrudge the Colts at all - that was the cost that Macc had to pay for his stupidity in not taking Mahomes the year before. Now THAT is "salt in the wound". As I've pointed out numerous times, if Macc had taken Mahomes, then he would not have had to burn the draft picks to move up and they would've been available to be used on OL/Edge. But the "silver lining" in that is that we all know that Macc wouldn't have used those picks on an OL/Edge and he would've wasted them anyway.:mad:

The remedy for "salt in the wound" is to not watch any football, or find a new team to root for.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.