Frankly, I feel bad for Gregg Williams.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If your offense gives up almost as much points as the defense does, you know how the defense should be feeling.

Seriously, Jets D was dealt a raw deal yesterday. The first TD given up is surely on the defense, I get it. But the other three? They were either directly off turnover, or a result from a turnover.

And he gets the blame for all the scores given up, right? Even with TD after the second INT, this defense gave up 17 all game long. That is after staying in the field all game long. Maybe they are not "historic" defense by any measure, but to me, I think the defense played as well as they could. (They even stopped Eagles' 4th down attempt twice. TWICE. Let that sink in, guys.)

#1 Zach, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    SOJAZ, Royal Tee and AJT73 like this.
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The d has played well. The offense has not helped and the d is on the field too long so are completely worn down by the 4th quarter. Add in he doesn't have cbs a pass rush or his starting linebackers they have played real well. He is far from the problem this year.

NCJetsfan, SOJAZ, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I said it in the game thread… Williams should put out a bounty on Gase. The defense is doing their job for the most part and what do you know, they are doing it without their leader and best player. How come the offense gets to use it as a crutch while the defense is performing just fine minus all three starting linebackers including your playcaller?

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The D has certainly been competitive, but they did bury us by letting the Eagles score right before the half to end the game.
    14-0 is still a football game.
    21-0 with Luke Falk as your QB ... don't bother coming out for the 2nd half.

In fact, the only time I knew Loenard Williams was on the field yesterday, was when he killed us on that drive with a 15 yard hands to the face penalty.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Did it ever occur to you that:

1. if the offense could generate any - ANY - offense, maybe, JUST MAYBE, things would be a little better?
    2. if Falk doesn't throw that stupid pick and hold on to the ball, MAYBE they could burn some more clock? I am not even asking for a score. Just burn the fucking clock. But this O couldn't do that, right?
    3. So, Falk INT that gave Eagles a very - VERY - short field of 42 yards is forgivable, but giving up TD off that INT is equivalent to "burying the team", eh? Yeah. Fantastic logic, I agree!
    4. On top of that - did you even consider why the Jets were in 14-0 hole instead of 7-0? Falk threw a TD pass. Just for the wrong team. Then gave another very short field. That's the fault of this defense, eh?

#5 Zach, Oct 7, 2019
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The defense is a bit better than I thought they would be, unfortunately the offense is about a 100 times worse.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They have.

We still need to work on finding ways to the QB. The pressure is not coming from the middle of the DLine as they expected.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Didn't you know? Neglecting LB corp as has been the Jets Tradition from *Gulp!* Rex Ryan days.

Fast, high-motor LBs are not what Jets are looking for. Slow, Edge-setting LBs fit the Jets D well. (Frankly I don't know why Jets are so hell bent on setting the edge with LBs - draft a fucking DE for Christ's sake.)

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The defense has played well and that is without Mosley. It gives you a reason to be optimistic. Once he returns, and Sam on offense, the Jets will resemble a competitive team.

Frankly, I feel bad for Adam Gase. He has had to play with a QB who had mono and did not know it, a back-up who instantly was out for the year, and then mostly a 3rd string QB who shouldn't be on an NFL roster. Not to mention a very difficult first 4 games of the season, even if his entire roster was healthy. Yet, all he does is get trashed.

FJF likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Levon Bell.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Jets fans.

12. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I feel bad for me for continuing to support this team.

Every Sunday my wife comes into my man cave, gives that tight little, wifely smile and just says “No good? They lost? Well, if you want to go to a game...at least tickets will be cheap now.”

Every...damned....year.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great point Zach. Our defense has held their side of the bargain. The offense has scored more points against us that for us. The OL is porous and completely out of sink, yet we insist on a zone blocking scheme that does not remotely suit the talent that we have. Our QB is lost out there and hold on to the ball too long. If Sam is cleared he need to get his ass in there. To me this year should judge Gase performance with Sam at the helm. I'm starting to wonder about his so called great offensive play calling ability.

Noam likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I love the title of this thread. Greg Williams is lucky he wasn't blackballed from the league. Gase gave him a job after he got canned agains. He has a 3 year contract. He gets to work as a DC in the NFL. This isn't charity, it's pro football. You get paid.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Gase may give Williams another shot as a head coach... :confused:

CBG, NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and 4 others like this.
  16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I said they've been competitive. Did you miss that?
    And I never said the offense doesn't suck. Everyone with eyes knows that.
    The bottom line is this ... in any sport there are a couple of points in the game where you, and everybody else, understands that you have to come up big to stay in the game.
    They needed to come up with a stop before the half, and they didn't get it done.
    And that score ended the game.

#16 truthbtold, Oct 7, 2019
  17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

The pussification of the NFL shows when you're crying about a DC being too aggressive...
    lmfao

PUNCH THEM IN THE FUKIN MOUTT! EOS>
    No issues with big G-Will

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It was actually MAC that gave Williams a job as Willians was a required hire for the Rhule hire and then the subsequent Gase hire.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You read my mind!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I believe that you're mistaken. Gase chose Williams, not Mac. From Wikipedia

Source: Lange, Randy. "Jets Name Gregg Williams Their Defensive Coordinator". www.newyorkjets.com.

Don't you remember when Gase was thinking about whom he wanted as DC? Gregg Williams' name was mentioned, and many posters thought he'd be too controversial and that Gase and he would get into it, but when Williams was hired it was because Gase said that he wanted to go against Williams in practice every day. That was one of the things I liked about Gase. He wanted the challenge and knew it would make his team better (or at least seemingly). Maybe he thought Williams would get the defense good enough to win some games and help save his job.

#20 NCJetsfan, Oct 7, 2019