Rex Ryan: I would take Daniel Jones over Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Sep 23, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol go for it

2. GasedAndConfused

yup. he threw a pick 6 his 1st pass and then was damn near perfect after that going 16-20 2TDs 0 INTs 198 yards the rest of the way in a 48-17 blowout.

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Ah....Good to know

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Out of curiosity, how is this possible? That would be (kind of) like a Red Sox fan saying the Yankees are his/her 2nd favorite team.

5. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Many moons ago, actually 1968 to be exact, the Jets represented the AFL. I wanted the Jets to win the Superbowl to put Don Shula and the uptight NFL in their place.

I was not much of a Namath fan at first, but when I saw the punishment he took against the Raiders in the AFL Championship Game, he earned my respect and admiration. Had the Raiders won that game, I would have also rooted for them. I think they also could have beaten the Colts. To me, the AFL Championship game was the real super Bowl.

I also was a big Don Maynard fan also at the time. I would have loved to have a beer with him and pick his brain.

I also was a big fan of Ken Obrien who I thought at one time may have been the best-drafted QB. But I should have realized the Jet's curse was too strong!

I thought my fanship for the Jets ended with the Tuna and Rex Ryan.

But I then found myself really pissed when the Jets, after beating both the Colts and the Patriots in the playoffs, decided not to show up in the 1st half against the Steelers (2010 I think?). I remember watching that game with a bunch of Patriot fans who were rooting for the Steelers. The Jets were down 24-0 and almost came back. I knew right then I was cursed because I was a Jets fan. I tried to explain to my Patriot fans that the Jets deserved to be the AFC Champions. It was as useless as some of my arguments with Jets fans on this board about Spygate and Deflate-gate.

To this day, I would like to shake Rex Ryan's neck and ask him why were the Jets so unprepared for the Steelers. Were they still drinking the I beat the Patriots champagne? Rex and his staff had done a wonderful job playing smart football and beating the two best teams in the NFL, the Patriots, and the Colts. How can a guy be so smart but yet so stupid!

As a Pats fan, I had no problem accepting that the Jets were the better team that year. They beat us fair and square. But when I found myself rooting for the Jets against the Steelers, some of my Patriot fan friends started freaking out. I think right then, I realized I was still a Jet fan.

You might find this hard to believe, but I remember back in the 70's partying with Jet fans in the old stadium in Foxboro. Back then the Patriots and the Jets sucked. We would argue which team sucked more.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Rex likes D Jones? Just another dig at Jets Fans and Management by another Coach who Butt Fumbled his job

7. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Rex, please just go away.

Wahoo likes this.
  8. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

DJ has been impressive for a rook, but make no mistake: Sam is the superior TALENT. DJ can't really make those zipping sideline throws and it shows, but brilliant gameplan today by Shurmur. Out of 31 pass attempts, DJ threw 25 under 10 yards. Thats a recipe for success for him. In the 7 attempts over 10 yards he threw 2 picks and 2 more that easily could have been picks. Not saying he won't be better than Sam, just saying what he did today was more like MANAGE a game. Which is still impressive at this point. But Sam is more of a "he can make all the throws" type of guy.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You can be elite without Sam's physical talent though. And what Sam can do is no guarantee he'll be elite or even above average. We'll have to let the next year or two play out and see what happens.

10. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. It's kind of funny, but Tom Brady is the perfect example. He's not so "physically gifted". He just knows how to play with the D.

It will be a fun convo/debate for years to come hopefully.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. As of September 30, 2019 both these guys have a better chance to end up in Akron than Canton.

12. GasedAndConfused

he's a rookie so can't be too hard on the guy, but as you said he's just been a game manager and adding mobility to an offense that hasn't had a QB that wasn't a statue in the pocket in 30 years. after kerry collins and eli it's a nice welcome change for them to catch up to the rest of the NFL. but yeah DJ is doing what any QB can. take an open lane, manage the game and make short passes if you have time. he isn't out there making plays though but he's better then eli in the sense he can extend a drive with his legs and isn't as risky with the ball

13. GasedAndConfused

I like his trolling of baker better though

[​IMG]
    Rex on baker:." Baker is the only QB in the league with 2 pro bowl wide receivers. They played Baker's comment and then Rex adjusted his tie and said you're lucky I'm not coaching the defense with the black and purple

via Cleveland.com “I’d love to be an offensive coordinator [with the Browns],” Ryan said,. “I have Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Nick Chubb and there’s Baker Mayfield. Yeah, I know he’s overrated as hell ...”

ESPN even made a graphic for "one read quarterback"

Former NFL coach Rex Ryan referred to Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield as a “one-read” signal-caller who is “overrated as hell” and scrambles out of the pocket if his top target is covered, and Kitchens categorically dismissed that opinion during his pre-practice press conference.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

15. legler82

And twice on Sundays!

Jake, matt robinson 17 and stinkyB like this.
  16. legler82

Rex still loves the Jets.

jilozzo, matt robinson 17 and stinkyB like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i'd take rex back in a NY minute.

18. Jets777

Jets777 Member

Relax guys. We need draft the WRs and RB and OL next summer. We should be patience with Darnold. He will learning mistake and well playing for the games. Darnold is worth person.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Dan Marino was way more talented than Joe Montana, Payton Manning or Tom Brady. It's what's between the ears that makes a great QB.

20. Im not here to tout Gase by any stretch..but other than Bellicheat whom its more probable than not knows the opposition’s play calls before every snap, what HC would be doing better under the current circumstances?

Gase has everything to prove..in fact hes proven absolutely nothing.But i feel like folks are making him the object of aggression over the stroke of miserable luck to start this season. Gotta blame somebody. Its easy to sit here & say “next man up” & the like.To an extent i agree w that.But this situation is far beyond a typical injury bug or adversity.

If Gase is gonna fail let him fall on his own sword..but this is nowhere near the time

NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.