Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, a smart coach would prepare for the possibility that key players will get hurt, and while he would certainly give Darnold the most reps in TC he would also be ensuring that backups would be ready to step in, and that includes others like the OL. He even said he wasn't concerned that the OL hadn't played one snap together in P.S. because "they're veterans and know how to play" - that shows that he doesn't place a premium on the cohesion that's critical for the OL. I have to question whether he even understands how to coach OL given what I've seen so far.

And as to all the injuries, I've acknowledged there impact, but I'm not pointing to that or the 0-3 record. It's HOW we've gotten the 0-3 record. Moreover, it's also that he had the same kinds of problems in Miami so it's not like a previously winning coach suddenly loses three games, it's a previously losing coach with a history of denying responsibility continues to perform in that same manner.

I truly hope he turns this around and proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier. But I firmly believe that "what you see is what you get", and Gase is going to continue to perform as his record indicates.

And your attempt to mitigate your "clueless" insult, it didn't work. So far I've refrained from calling you names or insulting you, if you can;t do the same don't bother responding.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you were interested in understanding my point you would've, it wasn't jumbled at all. But it's clear we're not going to agree.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

So your belief is that a "smart" Head Coach would prepare to lose his starting QB AND backup QB? It is also your belief that Luke Falk should have been taking reps throughout the off-season with the number one offense just in case Sam Darnold got mono and Siemien broke his ankle?

And the injuries and loss of Sam Darnold is exactly "HOW" we have gotten to 0-3. With Sam Darnold having mono and a halfway decent kicker, we score 20 points against Buffalo holding them to 0 in the first game of the season. Mosley is injured and immediately the Bills offense goes down the field to score twice and we lose that game.

You really do not believe that losing everything we have is not "how" we find ourselves at 0-3?

FJF likes this.
  4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Really? Another one? Some people just can't get over their own egos, LMFAO!

FJF likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

umm I would not have asked you to clarify if I wasn't interested in understanding your point. so that's not it.

6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

A, who is responsible for OL? With all due respect, the OL was never going to be great but to say you have essentially the same unit - that was graded as a middle of the pack in 18t - has regressed and become dysfunctional to the point of being incompetent is just not facing reality. IMHO, its the scheme and the coaching.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Falco21

See this is where I lose you and everyone else calling for Gase's head or pointing to him as the cause of the 0-3 start.

You are blatantly ignoring the lack of talent and cohesion that is on this roster and are simply pointing at Gase's coaching and scheming as the cause.

This O-Line played for the first time all year in week 1 of the season. 2 starters were dealing with injuries throughout the off-season and our starting center was signed in August out of retirement. All of that playing against one of the best defense's in the league, Buffalo. One of the best, if not THE best, pass rushers in the league, Cleveland. And a top 8 defense every year, New England. Not to mention Herndon out, Enunwa out, Thomas out, Darnold out, Mosley out, Williams out, Anderson out, etc...

8. Falco21

Just to put this in perspective, this is the injury report Gase handed out going into the New England game:

OUT

QB Sam Darnold, Illness
    LB Jordan Jenkins, Calf
    LB C.J. Mosley, Groin
    WR Demaryius Thomas, Hamstring/Knee
    DL Quinnen Williams, Ankle

QUESTIONABLE

RB Trenton Cannon, Ankle/Hamstring
    WR Josh Belamy, Shoulder
    OT Kelvin Beachum, Ankle
    G Kelechi Osemele, Knee
    G Brian Winters, Shoulder
    DT Steve McLendon, Hip
    CB Brian Poole, Groin
    S Rontez Miles, Hip

So our starting QB, LB, LB, WR, and DL were all ruled out.

And two of our offensive lineman were questionable including two of our receivers.

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Sorry, I disagree. WE got there because the schemes and plays called were exactly - or very similar to what they ran in week 1. Also, CC has it right. AG 's record is 0-6 for the last six games.

You laid out a logical argument about what has transpired but you seem to discount what AG stated about his OL being ok because they are veterans even though they are not playing together. It clear to anyone who is watching that the OL is confused as are the TE. Indeed, he even admitted in his post game presser yet he will not acknowledge that a line made of 2/3 of the same OL as 18 that was graded as middle of the pack OL - is regressed to become dysfunctional and in MHO incompetent.

having stated all of that, I think we all want solutions. This week they are NOT practicing. WTF????? One can argue either case is right - off or practice. I used to go to the same gym as Bill Parcells in Upper saddle River NJ and he used to tell me that how you practice is how you play. SO if that is true what the hell is AG and FP (OLC) looking at? How does a OL made up of 2/3 of last years OL (graded in the middle of the pack) that was seemingly upgraded with LG and C because so inept.

They only way I see AG getting fired this year is if this team when healthy - and an easier schedule - doesn't get better , then he should be thrown out on his ass.

Bellys Lies and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Gase on Kay show in 2 minutes

12. Falco21

Taking the week off is pretty normal considering everyone does it on their bye week. It also gives our players a chance to heal. Again nitpicking eveyrhting Gase does to fit your argument that "he sucks".

Here's what he said today, which was a great assessment and is going ignored because people like you want to try and point blame for not practicing:

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I'll step in here at this point - I would have to say the lack of talent on the team is why the Jets are 0-3. Yes injuries too obviously. I've written this in several other threads. The Jets are in a tough position right now. The previous GM left the cupboard bare in several key areas - OL, CB, EDGE, K to name a few plus tack on the injuries to Williamson, Darnold, Mosely, Q. That equals 0-3. In the grand scheme of things your record is what you are.

I can understand fans not liking Gase - but I can't really lay this disaster of a season at his feet for the above reasons. One can certainly question the play calling but keep in mind it's obvious Gase doesn't have any faith in his OL hence the lack of deep balls or his 3rd string QB. Not many coaches would. Even Bell can't find many holes. The previous GM/administration grossly over valued this current OL. I was expecting the OL rebuild to begin this past off season. No such luck. Geez Mac's third round pick - Polite - didn't even make it out of training camp.

So we the fans will have to suffer through this season and look once again to the off season and see what Douglas has in mind. I figure it will take about two years to right this ship and the remake of the OL has to come first...….

FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Nick picking no ... point out facts yes. His record speaks for itself...0-6 last six games.

I stated above that he would get fired if the team continued to play poorly after everyone returned... Isn't that what you stated when you said we will judge him when people return? I think so. You seem to discount his coaching tendencies he establish with Miami and is using here... and your justification - which are based on facts - is injuries. WE agree here.

Where we diverge is when you have replacements you try to ameliorate the situation bu dumbing down the schemes and playbook. I am pretty sure that AG has not done that based on what we have seen in all there games... same calls, same mistakes, same outcome.

BTW - One other Fact - the starting OL which needs the most work is the healthiest of all the units on O. But lest give them time off to chill, get their collective heads out of the asses and restart next Tuesday. lets just see how that works out if he doesn't make any changes,,,,

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I know we love to blame the GM but if the pats were missing their starting TE, WR2, all 4 starting LBers, brady and stidham and had to start a QB that was on their PS, I don't think they would be winning either.

FJF likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the collective bargaining agreement requires teams to give players 5 consecutive days off during the bye week. So they are obligated to not practice this week.

17. mrjet80

I don't think it's that simple. I think everybody aged another year - the Jets thought they could lure a retired center out of retirement and he would just transition seamlessly. It hasn't worked. Beechum - who was an average LT last season is 30 now and has slipped slightly. Shell over at RT has regressed - maybe due to his injury issues, maybe not. He may have already hit his ceiling.

Mac should have started this OL rebuild last offseason - if he couldn't find anybody in FA then he should have dove into the OL in the draft. A so-so tackle in the third round isn't diving in. The Jets are paying the price now. I think Mac simply expected this band-aid of an OL to hold together one more season and it's not panning out.

Douglas is going to have to tear it down this offseason - I have higher hopes considering he was an OL himself. OL is gonna have to come first before the other positions needing fixing although the Jets should have somewhat decent salary cap space to help expediate the process. OL and CB should be the two priorities this offseason......

NCJetsfan and SOJAZ like this.
  18. Falco21

Not true.

It's Gase's fault.

I used to work out in a gym with Muhammad Ali and he once told me, "Gase deserves blame for everything".

It was a clarifying moment in my life

FJF likes this.
  19. mrjet80

Of course not but let's face it the OL is crap. Absolute crap. That falls on Mac and the previous regime. There was no reason this OL rebuild wasn't started this past off season. Trading for a 29 year old guard is another band-aid or perhaps the last piece to a rebuilt OL ( see Fanaca ). If the OL opens holes even just a little bit Bell is more than likely giving you 100 yards. That opens the passing game. The WRs ( lacks depth also ) aren't world beaters either but would look a lot better. It all revolves around the OL...…

Injuries are a part of the game and yes the Jets would have beaten the Bills if not for Moseley going down. It doesn't mask what's really wrong though....

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I get why you say that, but if Jeudy is available when we pick in round 1, it will be difficult to pass on him. We can go OT in round 2 and C in round 3. That way, the OL is addressed and we get a possible number 1 WR.