Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ok. So why then do you want to fire Gase? He had 1 game with his starting QB. A 1 point loss to the undefeated Bills

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

He was but at the end he lost his players. With some of these players I think he'd do a better job but that ship has sailed.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually that underscores how poor a HC Gase is. If the BIlls are so good - certainly much better than anyone thought - and the Jets could've definitely beaten them, meaning they're more or less as good as the Bills, then why are they playing so poorly? Sure injuries account for some of that, but I know you can see how many plays are poorly executed by design. That's on Gase, and his refusal to change his play calling to fit the talent he actually has on the field. That's the mark of a bad coach, and while I know he isn't going to get fired right now because everyone wants to give him the excuse of injuries and poor talent. if you step back from those excuses you'll see that retaining him simply prolongs a problem that isn't going to get better.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Not exactly a high bar to clear though.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It is not a quest to be "right". It is simply pointing out obvious facts and not acting like a child when things don't go our way.

I've said it over and over, if Gase does not coach us to wins and a good football team with a healthy talented roster, then he needs to go. That's not a quest to be "right", that's a quest to evaluate our new head coach when he is playing with a full deck. It is both irresponsible and irrational to evaluate his future with the Jets off of 3 games and a depleted roster.

And my comment is because I can't stand this fan base. I have been a Jets fan all of my life and have suffered just as everyone has on here, but the constant bitching and complaining is nauseating. The endless threads to fire him, fuck him, he sucks, they suck, the world is on fire, is ridiculous and just gives credence to all the people who hate us.

We hired a new Head Coach and a new GM with new philosophies. Whether they work out or not, they need to be evaluated with a complete picture, not a half painted portrait.

And for the record, if you think players are going to deny playing with a young talented QB and a HOF running back because of Adam Gase, you are clueless. The only people complaining about his attributes as an individual are Miami Dolphins players that were cut or traded from the team. There are numerous guys around the league who have spoken highly of Gase, including our own young QB who seems to have a great relationship with him.

And your belief that "the longer we wait to get rid of Gase, the worse things will get" proves my point completely.

Let's make a decision simply because you don't like his attitude and you do not like the outcome we have had with a 3rd string QB, and over 5 starters out with injuries. That's a great way to run a franchise!

6. Falco21

He's been bad when he doesn't have a HOFer at the helm.

He took Miami to their first playoff appearance in over a decade with Ryan Tannehill. I don't think he's a HOFer.

And to say Luke Falk is less than a HOFer, is a fuckin joke. Of course he can't win with Luke Falk, he's a fuckin pee wee football QB.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gase has had plenty of things stacked against him so far offensively. Herndon suspended 4 games. Sam gets mono. Siemian tears his ankle, stuck with a 3rd string QB in Falk. The O-line did not play together in the pre-season. Enunwa out for the year. Trade for Thomas, he instantly re-injures his hamstring. All of that is BAD and makes the offense being terrible understandable, and the (0-3) record understandable.

I think the problem fans are having is Gase's lack of adjustments. Weak play calling. Not setting up his players to succeed. It's a problem because when you lose key players, it can show how a coach can adjust and keep things going. Seems like when anything bad happens to Gase, he just gives up and blames his situation. I don't like that.

Ralebird, NYJetsO12, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Who's the one acting like a child, engaging in ad hominens?

But as for "...evaluate our new head coach when he is playing with a full deck" actually, the measure of a coach is best seen when they're faced with adversity, and these three games have shown us plenty, coupled with his past resume. I get it, the "safe" approach is to wait and accrue overwhelming evidence so that no one can question firing him, but good leaders don't need to have an ironclad defense to justify their decisions, they do what they believe is right regardless.

And to use your analogy, you don't stand back and watch someone try to paint your portrait while you can see that they're doing a horrible job. You take the paint brush out of their hand and thank them and send them on their way.

And before you tell me I'm clueless about players making decisions about who the coach and FO are before they sign on, reflect on how several recent highly desirable FAs refused to do just that when we still have Bowles and Macc. Players do in fact consider who they'll be playing for, and they understand their future performance is directly affected by good or bad coaching. Again, using the term "clueless" simply proves who the child is here.

Finally, the decision should be made on the basis I've already laid out clearly, not based upon "attitude" as stated in your strawman assertion.

Again, I understand that Gase isn't likely to be fired right now, but what he's shown so far supports doing just that.

9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have complained with that experiment

Listen I know you're not a Gase fan; personally i think he needs time. At the moment he's trying to implement his plays and his schemes with someone else's roster - which as near as i can tell is a helter-skelter hodge podge of players with no rhyme or reason as to why this group versus another.

Personally (and again reasonable people can differ) I prefer the approach of saying these are the plays and here's how we're going to play them. This will set expectations and align interests.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

When your preferred plays aren;t working, what do you do? A good coach designs plays that his players WILL be able to execute. Have we seen any evidence of that from Gase?

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yep I think so. No one should really be that shocked that the team is 0-3 given the hands it has been dealt (some of which are self-inflicted). The problem is not that they are 0-3, it is the manner in which they have achieved this that is the problem.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i don't agree with this.

Some coaches do that, and i understand the logic, but then you end up compromising your scheme and strengths. Listen if the team is in a playoff hunt, and your power running back goes down and you're forced to play your 3d down back -- changing your scheme in that situation is one thing, and perfectly fine

But if you're a new coach on a new team and your trying to establish a team identity, you play your book -- not the prior coach's book. there will be growing pains

week 1: mono
    week 2: sieman gets crunched (already a problem just got worse)
    week 3: 3d stringer playing pats whose D is playing out of its mind lately

Let's not overreact. Let's see how we finish the season with a new coach and new roster (like 75% or whatever) rather than expect we dominate out of the gate

NCJetsfan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I never said we should be "dominating", simply looking competent.is the bare minimum and they're not clearing that low bar. Again, I recognize the injuries and shortage of talent, but -

A. Gase should be making adjustments which he doesn't seem to be.
    B. He shouldn't be throwing his players under the bus while at the same time claiming it's not his fault.
    C. Speaking to the OL in particular, it was poor last year and we supposedly upgraded it and it's actually worse now. I think this speaks to poor blocking schemes more than lack of talent, but in either case, Gase should be looking for ways to mitigate this and again it doesn't look like he is.
    D. All of this were issues from Miami, so it's really not just 3 games we're talking about, it's a body of work.

You call it "overreacting", but in hindsight shouldn't we have "overreacted" with Bowles and Macc? It's not a matter of overreacting when you're asking fans who have waited 50 years to wait some more.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

a coach can never make the players execute. At the end of the day the coach is not on the field. There is no magic play

15. ColoradoContrails

Of course he can't! Who said he could? But he CAN come up with plays and schemes that make it easier for his players to execute and Gase doesn't seem like he's doing that.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

people had their expectations way too high. These Jets won only 4 of their last 20 games heading into the season.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Luke Falk wasn't gonna score on Sunday no matter what plays were called.

the guy is a practice squad QB playing against the Super Bowl champions

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Falco21

You are correct in your statement that "the measure of a coach is best seen when they're faced with adversity" but this is far greater than adversity. Let's lay out what exactly happen during his first 3 games as the Jets Head Coach.

The entire off-season was built around practicing with Sam Darnold at QB and all of our pieces in place on offense. We had a makeshift line throughout the pre-season due to injuries and our starting center signing in August.

In game 1 Sam Darnold is playing with Mono and had ZERO sleep the night before due to cold sweats. He admitted to this and admitted to playing at best at 80%. In that same game we lose our starting linebacker who is the playcaller of our defense. We also lose Enunwa with a second neck injury.

In game 2 Gase goes into the game preparing with Siemien at QB. 6 throws into the game, Siemien breaks his ankle and is out indefinitely. In that same game, Demaryus Thomas goes down with a hamstring injury days after he was signed by Douglas. So now Gase has to readjust his entire gameplan around Luke Falk and down another receiver that was just signed to replace Enunwa.

In game 3, Luke Falk is the starting QB and goes 12 for 22 with 98 yards and 1 interception. Now you can blame Gase for this one, I am cool with that. Little to no adjustments, but considering Luke Falk is his playcaller, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

So in summary Gase is 0-3 with no starting TE, no starting QB, 2 starting WR's injured, our starting LB injured, and our backup QB injured.

Please, tell me any coach on this planet that would win with the above scenario? Not a backup QB, a backup's backup QB. Who, mind you, had never played in an NFL game in his life.

And to help with my "clueless" remark, I don't remember stating that players do not want to sign with teams because of their Head Coach. In fact, I am pretty sure I stated that players would not give up the idea of playing for a young talent QB and HOF RB because of ADAM GASE. But please, point me in the direction of players, other than butt hurt Miami Dolphins players who were traded, who are blatantly denying to play with Gase as Head Coach.

Here is what I wrote:

19. ColoradoContrails

I disagree. But he sure wasn't going to score when the OL was like rice paper. Brady couldn't have scored with that OL. But again, did we see any evidence that Gase was trying something different? Actually we did: the first drive, the first three plays resulted in a first down. Then he went to the exact same plays and we got stopped. From there on I saw no real attempt to try and slow down Garrett or any other changes.

20. BrowningNagle

there is a lot there in your post. its like a jumbled mess of a rant.

you disagree with my statement that Falk wasn't going to score Sunday but you say that Brady wouldn't have either. That doesn't make any sense.

Then you ask if Gase tried anything different only to answer your own question that he did. Before saying you saw no real attempt to stop a pass rusher from a previous game. WTF, do you read your own posts even? this stuff makes sense to you?