Is the season really over?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'll get a little weirdly optimistic - or pessimistic here. Has anyone seen the AFC standings?

There are five 0-3 teams. There are five 1-2 teams. For the wildcard there is only one 2-1 team. If the Colts would have lost we'd only be a game behind the 6th seed - the 1-2 Browns. (I know they hold the tie breaker).

By our 4th game we could actually only be a game and a half out of the 6th wildcard spot if Indy loses.

What a terrible year to not even have a half assed team that could compete with this. Yet if we get hot in the second half who knows?

jonnyd, NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. The season is definitely not over. The Jets, Dolphins, Broncos, Bengals and Steelers are 0-3. The Browns, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders, and Chargers are 1-2. I don't think the 3-0 Bills will hold up all season either. So the AFC is wide open. The top is FAR SUPERIOR though with the Chiefs and Patriots. I don't quite trust the Ravens, Texans, or Colts either. So yes, in one way, the Jets season is definitely still alive. In another way, the AFC Championship is already set with a Chiefs-Pats re-match.

ouchy likes this.
  3. JetsCuseYanksFan

It’s always darkest before the dawn. I’m actually optimistic about the rest of the season - assuming one critical thing gets fixed: the offensive line. They have two more weeks of practice, with a bunch of vets, it should get done. If not, the season is over.

As has been said many times on these boards, beyond quarterback, the next most important component of a football team is the offensive line - or said quarterback can’t do anything. We have lost with all our offensive weapons because there is no time for plays to develop (e.g., get ball down field to Robby) or plays get blown up with missed assignments. This is not Gases fault, period! These are vets for bleeping sake!! It’s Mac’s fault for failing to address the line earlier. Even Khalil said after the game that they (Gase) can’t get creative when the line breaks down every time. Get the line fixed, and watch what happens with our offense!

As for defense, I’m impressed so far given the injuries and suspensions. We were down Q Williams, Jenkins, and don’t forget missing Copeland this whole time - one of our best pass rushers last year. Same thing, the third most important component of a football team, is the defensive line. Get pressure on the quarterback and you don’t need great corners etc. Mosley will help too, but that up front pressure could help our defense even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

The Jets remind me of the football version of this

“Opening day and here’s the kickoff . . . and the season’s over”

mute and nyjetsmets89 like this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I still sense a bit of hysteria here.

6. jilozzo

some idiot posted this gem back in July.....LOL.

"ugh.......i think the jets could win 7 games this year but i also think we may be in for a 1-6 start".

#74jilozzo, Jul 16, 2019

7. jilozzo

Hmmmm....i wonder how many 0-6 teams there will be?

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Let’s all remember that a good QB in the NFL masks a lot of issues with a team. Just look at what took place on the other side of MetLife. Dan Jones gets his first start, plays a fantastic game and suddenly Pat Shurmer doesn’t look like the incompetent fool that he did his last 18 games as Giants HC.

We need Darnold back and for him to be at worst very good.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Until I hear Sam’s spleen is normal size, he’s had a full week of practice, the offensive line has demonstrated - on the field, they can block, and our players bounce back from injuries, this season is over.

Sorry guys.

We are going to have to pick up 2 extra road wins to make up for the early home losses.

Huge deal.

Edit:

The success of this thin roster was always going to hinge on the hopes of getting lucky with health. The team is clearly not good enough across the roster to make up for key injuries.

The “next man up” mentality may be there but the players / coaching staff haven’t answered the bell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Darnold is 4-10 as a starter..........I'm thinking you guys should take a wait and see approach before anointing Darnold as the season saver.......just saying.

Josh Allen is 8-5 in games he's started and finished.........that's something to be excited about.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There is not 2 weeks of practice. Teams are prohibited from practicing on the bye week

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Correct. Players are usually encouraged to take hiatus (if healthy) or continue treatment (if injured).

13. JetsCuseYanksFan

Good point. Then they all need to go get in the bleeping hot tub together and get to know each other!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

It’s a lot easier with a great defense and a functioning offensive line.

NCJetsfan and BuffaloBills06 like this.
  15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Darnold plays on the Jets, one of the worst teams in the NFL, winning even 4 games is pretty impressive

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

One game??

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Is this season over? Well, what type of fan are you?

are you the type of fan that is watching Q Williams closely to see his hand usage on passing downs vs his absolute stoutness on running plays? Are you watching Sam for 30 yard highlight TDS or enjoying the times, far too rare times, when he takes the 6 yard hit reads?

Are you seriously over joyed at Foly Fatusaksi? Or how ever you sp it being great against the run???

mid your the type of fan that expected playoffs your season was done in 2016. You don’t end several Seasons of bad management this quickly.

there is hope for the future ... if we build the online around a QB like Sam who can slide to avoid pressure. This was the worst possible week. It can get better if Joe D is willing.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

This season is done. It will be interesting to see what Douglas does in the offseason.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He better choose wisely. Kalil and Thomas hasn't exactly lit it up..

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They've been awful straight up. I'm particularly disappointed with Kalil. As soon as he wasn't ready to go in a month and a half for preseason I started suspecting this might be an issue. It's critical that a center and QB in particular get some game action together.

BUT I don't blame Joe D for either move. They were both band aids. I sort of wish we just let Jonathan Harrison roll with the job. And even now I wish they'd let him play center. He seemed to be OK after the Spencer Long disaster.

I also can't believe the Osemele disaster. I was so pumped to be getting a Pro Bowl offensive lineman in what simply seemed like a salary dump for Oakland. I heard he lost a bunch of wait and I know someone who met him this offseason and said he was absolutely shredded. Sometimes offensive lineman need that babyfat I guess to protect from injury. Because they should honestly just cut him or throw him on injured reserve and file a claim with the league office for the Raiders sending him over with a pre-existing injury.

#100 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019