Now What??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longislandjetfan, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry Cman, but you're doing some revising of history. If Chris Johnson had fired Mac at the end of last season, Douglas would not be our GM. The Eagles would not let him talk to other teams at that time. Gase was hired first, and he, probably more than anyone else is responsible for Douglas becoming our GM. Doouglas was hired very late, so there was no way that Douglas could have hired his own coach.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Honestly, drink and eat. I would take Rex Ryan back at this point.

If we could get a LT, pass rusher like Myles Garrett and a wideout like Copper Kupp we would be in decent shape. That's gonna be my wish list to Santa

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Did you see his defense today !?! :)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Jetsfansince95

I need to play a game with my wife every time the Jets lose I get laid

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If you can't draft well, you can't rebuild well. The Jets need to draft well and they haven't done that in a LONG time.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It was the offense and kicking game that killed the Bucks, not the D. 5 field goals, 2 missed PATs the missed FG. The intentional delay of game to lengthen the attempted game winner. Same as blaming the Jets D for the Buffalo loss.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. Jetsfansince95

Blowing an 18 point lead is on the D

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If my name was Joe Douglas this what I would do.

1. Fire Gase (that won't happen but I would love to).
    2. Sign Deontay Burnett and Thompson. Thompson is a veteran NFL receiver and could help opposite Anderson especially if Thomas is hurt. Burnett looked good last year we need receivers. Bring him back.
    3. Kalil. Thanks for coming out of retirement. We appreciate it. You once were great. Time to go back to Harrison. He isn't the best but he played well last year. He'll be ok.
    4. Fire sale. Leonard Williams, Robby Anderson and others are available. This team needs so much. Will take back draft picks or young players who can help.

All moves I'd make. I know they won't be made but wish they could be.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Nothing good comes from firing Gase after 3 weeks without his starting QB healthy in one of them. If the offense does not look any better with a healthy Darnold back then all bets are off as far as the end of season goes. Douglas should be scouting HC candidates throughout the year and he should have full control as far as hiring the new one if it comes to that.

10. NCJetsfan

Not solely. An offense should be able to have some long, sustained, clock-eating drives to keep the opposing offense off the field, and the Jets' offense can't. Also, one has to look at how they got the 18 point lead. That was largely due to TOs created by the D. Finally, how is a D supposed to hold a lead when they have little or no pass rush and their CBs suck? IMO you have unrealistic expectations.

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Fire Gase billboards?

12. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

1.) Not cleaning house by firing both Bowles and Macc BEFORE THE DRAFT: symptom
    2.) Hiring Gase BEFORE hiring Douglas: symptom
    3.) Not letting Douglas hire his own HC: symptom
    4.) Chris Johnson running a NFL franchise: problem

And it's not going to change until both Johnsons, if you'll pardon the expression :), are out of the picture. Notice I said "change" rather than "get better." For if they were to sell, we could still just as easily end up in the hands of yet another idiotshit with more money than brains. There are no guarantees.

So what I have is my Joe Namath throwback, a Jets beer glass, and a Jets club cover for my driver. I watched SB III. I like those things. And I've made peace with the idea that's most likely all I'm going to get from this franchise before I'm gone.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. Jetsfansince95

@NCJetsfan I was taking about TB against the Giants

#53 Jetsfansince95, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Watch the game. Arians went to the run, stopped passing completely. D couldn't get off the field, still got turnovers, Bucs stayed conservative, run run run. We have seen that somewhere before. The D forced a turnover to give them a shot to win after all that. And Arians blew it

15. NCJetsfan

IMO it makes no sense to fire Gase now. To begin with Douglas isn't going to humiliate one of his best friends by firing him in the middle of a season. Do you really think it will help the D or team dividing Greg Williams time (assuming that he becomes the interim HC)? Who would run the offense, our present OC, Dowell Loggains, who is basically Gase's gofer? Jim Bob Cooter? At least he'd be a better option than Loggains.

If Douglas signs Burnett and Thompson, who will they replace on the roster? L. Williams and R. Anderson? Why give them away? R. Anderson has been our best WR. If you're trying to help Sam, it doesn't make sense to get rid of our best WR. I have no problems with trading Williams if he isn't in Douglas' long-range plans for the Jets, so that would free up one roster spot. If they don't trade Anderson (and I hope that they don't, who else would you seek to trade or release?

Benching Kalil is an option, but if you do, Harrison better be better as it will disrupt whatever chemistry or cohesion the OL may have started to develop, and will effect line calls and the coordination between Falk and the center position.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

OK, my bad. Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Jets blowing a 16 point lead vs the Bills.

17. tubby

tubby Active Member

Not really sure what type of value Leonard Williams can get us.....can't really imagine it being better than a 4th at this point.

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Guess I'm blowing off steam. You're right we can't fire Gase. I wasn't thrilled with the hire to begin with. Warmed up to it and now after three games I'm crushed that a season of what looked to be a competitive team is over. If we fired Gase you're probably right Williams to HC and Jim Bob Cooter to play caller. We are a mess.

As for Thompson he replaces Enuwa and plays until Thomas is ready or if he is ready. He has NFL experience was with us this summer. Figure he could help. Burnett the last two years didn't look bad and it just gives us another receiver option. He plays the same position as Crowder so not sure how he'd help but I'm just trying to put some talent on the team. As for replacing players we currently have 9 dl. We dress 7. Very easy make a cut there.

As for Kalil. Harrison was with the team all offseason it might help with chemistry and things.

Definitely agree my Gase comment was nonsense. Some of the other moves I think could help but this team needs help in so many areas it won't help.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

We wait for Darnold to get back in a few weeks, few weeks after that we complain again, Gase blames something, then something else, we show heart win some meaningless late end of year game, end up 4th pick in the draft, fire Gase and hire some other rubbish coach whilst the league hires people like Pederson, Reich, Mcvay, McDermott, O'Brian, Nagy etc etc. There are plenty of good coaches out there, hopefully Douglas knows some. But it feels like the Jets cycle is just churning again and again. I bet Darnold wishes he was drafted by a well run and well coached organisation compared to us, because we are embarrassing.

Wahoo likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Now we change our offense to 2 receiver sets and go big up front. Go run first with actual blockers in front of Bell and try to control the game.

Except we have a coach who only seems to know one offense - an offense that will never amount to much - with or without Sam.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.