Go get Mike McCarthy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Sep 22, 2019.

?

Fire Gase and hire McCarthy now?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. Fire Gase now and hire someone else (specify who in your response)

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I get that. And if the team is still terrible when Darnold returns, I'm going to turn on Gase faster than I turned on Mac.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You can't fire Gase now. No coach would come here after you fired a coach who didn't even get to coach one game with his starting QB healthy. You have to give him a few games with Darnold if you want to fire him midseason. But if this continues, and Gase is still here heading into 2020, I'm done as a Jets fan.

3. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I never wanted Gase to begin with. He is terrible

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Honestly, I;m not sure how many coaches would ever want to come here anyway. I don't think firing Gase now will change that.

CBG likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

No One WANTS this job, who in the word would want to coach this team and work for the Johnsons ? They had a chance to hire Mccarthy or literally anyone else and they hired this clown. Joe Douglas might make the job attractive but I cant name a guy who would want this job

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

So true. We are stuck with this bad decision at least a full year, probably 2, because of the dysfunction it would cause with the next hire. The only variable ownership can throw in is making Douglas 100% in control and allow him and Savage to make the hire directly.

AJW and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think congratulations are in order for Christopher Johnson. He's turned this franchise, in a short period of time no less, into the kind of dumpster fire that his brother could only have dreamed of turning this into.

KurtTheJetsFan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This is where I'm at as well.

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

I don't think the johnsons are football fans. They don't strike me as anything but the owners of a really expensive side gig. They can't relate to football. The simply cannot decipher what they see with their own eyes.

There were 2,000,000 reasons they didn't want McCarthy and they all had George Washington on them. They still make a fuck load of money so there's little motivation to sell.

Soon they will start using AI software wielding consultants that will tell them who to hire based upon maximizing profits.

Just not football people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. David-The-Meats-Harris

And oh yeah, fuck the new uniforms.

Ralebird and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I literally don't need to play that game with you because the fact is, he has a LONG resume, with one of the best of all-time. The same goes for Bill Billicheat. You think people are going to say, "hey, if he didn't have TB, he would have been another washout HC."? No, they wont.

I don't care at all to debate it with you, it's a proven fact, and his resume, that has a SB win on it, looks far superior than anything Gase has done.

...but, hey, pick and choose so your argument sounds better, I'm not here to burst that bubble.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

You forgot the other reason. He isn't good at all. He basically rode on Rodgers' success.

CosmicJester likes this.
  13. David-The-Meats-Harris

At least McCarthy had witnessed winning with his own eyes. There's no saying McCarthy was better. The real problem was not firing Maccagnan with Bowles. Along with the owners of course.

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

In before the merge for the fire Gase circle jerk.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

We hired him. Never devloped a qb. Manning Omahed out of every play. Gase is awful. Third and 3. Throw the ball beyond the marker. Pick 6 who cares. 3rd sting qb.

We didn't hire a Super Bowl winning coach who developed a coach. So Jets.

16. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Too True. I never thought that i would want Woody back and running the team :(

17. CosmicJester

CosmicJester Member

So your response to asking what his “respectable resume” looks like is to provide no backup, but to just assert it’s a “proven fact” that he’s “one of the best all-time?” I mean, doubling down is an bold strategy, let’s see how it works out for you Cotton.

But let’s start with what you are willing to debate. Belichick is a great comp! Glad you brought him up. In 2008, when Brady went down for the season, Belichick went 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassell as his starting quarterback. When did McCarthy do something like that without Rodgers? Or how about when Belichick went 11-5 in 1994 with the Cleveland Browns(!), with Vinny T and Mark Rypien(!!) starting at quarterback, making the playoffs(!!!) and beating Bill Parcell (!!!!) in the wild card game. Let’s see McCarthy do that with that quality quarterbacking before we crown his ass (credit to Denny Green).

And flip it around. McCarthy’s last season in Green Bay, when Rodgers started every game, they went 4-7-1 before they kicked him to the curb. When Belichick loses that many in that short a stretch with Tom Brady starting every game games, let’s talk about how the two coaches are remotely comparable.

Look, if the thought of hiring someone who’s touched a Lombardi at some point gives you the warm and fuzzies, how about Gary Kubiak, or Brian Billick, or Mike Ditka, or Mike Shanahan, or Bill Parcells, or Jimmy Johnson? But you’re not pining for those “one of the best all-time”ers because some of them got lucky when they won (what did Shanahan do without Elway, or Ditka without a legendary defense, or Parcells without LT, etc.) and for many of them, the game passed them by. McCarthy is both. He’s done nothing without Rodgers, who may (actually) be the greatest of all-time at his position. And it’s been a long, cold time in Wisconsin since he’s done anything with Rodgers, either. Did you read the long form profile about him in Bleacher Report, about how they didn’t adapt the offense, about how he missed meetings because he was getting massages? You think that would fly in New York? He’s a soft minded lazy lucky son of a bitch who was fortunate enoguhh to get teamed up with a freak of nature in Rodgers and will be riding those coattails into an undeserved legacy forevermore. It’s simply criminal he never made a return trip to the big game with Rodgers. How many other great quarterbacks have only made one super bowl? Look at Rodger’s comparables in the hyper-elite quarterback conversation: Elway made five, Montana made four, Peyton made four, Brady’s made nine. The only peer whose career was as horribly squandered is probably Marino. How about not signing the guy who is responsible for that to be a head coach again anytime soon, eh?

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Unless something insane happens, Gase will at least be the coach for the entire season. Thereafter, it's anyone's guess if Chris Johnson will have the stones to own up to a mistake and get rid of Gase. Chris needs to understand, he has a second year QB, who has now missed a bunch of games due to injury/illness. If his intention is to maximize the growth potential of Darnold, it won't be with Gase at the helm. Whether he wants to swallow his pride, is a completely different question.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

sadly until the o line is addressed nothing will change

grkmanga31 likes this.
  20. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

that said with a line AG is still clueless