Report - Jets Trying To Trade Bell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by footballfundamentals, Sep 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

The key word is “realistically”

2. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Jet's fans can still be trolls. I understand you're frustrated and maybe this season isn't playing out how you wanted or envisioned. But don't take out your frustrations by making us have to tell you this is a bad thread.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's not entirely fair to the OP. There's a chance that blowing the whole team up is the right thing to do. Namely if Darnold isn't the answer at QB. To do it now, without giving Darnold a chance, is dumb. But this offseason there may be a lot of fans on board with OP's idea. It all depends on what happens after Darnold returns.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

So let's recap here...

Were going to fire Gase and Williams

Trade Adam's and Bell

Mosley doesn't "look" injured

And Darnold has an STD?

Did I miss anything?

NCJetsfan, GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Enunwa faked his neck injury as well because he took a business class last offseason and learned how to manage his cash so he doesn't need football anymore.

JerzeJets likes this.
  6. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Yes how could I forget this! I'm sure theres something awry with the Avery Williamson injury as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When looking at solutions to a 50 year old problem, really nothing should be off the table, so in that vein, the OP's question is reasonable. That said, it makes no sense.

If you're trying to rebuild a team, you need to begin with a foundation of young studs. While Bell is a bit beyond being called "young", he's in his prime; Adams is the very definition of the term. The only way I would consider trading either is if I got an inconceivable amount in return, and that's not realistically going to happen. IOW, both are more valuable to the Jets than to anyone else. So, no is the answer I would give to this question.

As to anyone else - with the exception of Darnold - sure, I'd be open, but again the question has to be framed against "Are they more valuable to the Jets than to anyone else?" because if the answer to that is yes, you're not going to get the value you want. There are some cases however where you eat the loss - the Rickey Rule of "Addition by subtraction" - but you can't invoke that with every player. The problem is that the Jets have been inept at drafting for years and have been left with a roster of some very good pieces surrounded by trash. Making things even worse is a HC who apparently isn't very good at using what he's got to best advantage. And therein lies the REAL problem: owners who are clueless and couldn't recognize the dumpster fire right in front of them. At this point - assuming they don't sell the team - we can only hope that hiring Douglas was the right move and he can begin to turn this thing around.

8. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Yeah, so make the thread after Darnold returns and we have a clue. At this moment it is clearly a frustration thread with no weight to it. So I think it's perfectly fair to call someone out for premature threads. We have enough of them as it is every time something doesn't go right. Also, to suggest getting rid of Adams, the one player on our team who has all-pro potential and is young? That's the type of players you draft, not trade, it has troll written all over it. I don't mean to be harsh, but it's annoying to have to keep wading through this bs that everyone is posting about "fire gase", "blow it up" "same old jets." Everybody chill.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

siemian faked his ankle injury?
    robby is a WR3 at best and a one trick pony?
    the NFL is rigged?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So, I don't agree with trading, Adams. He is still very young, extremely important to our defense, and has a lot of football left in him. L.Bell on the other hand, I get he is in his prime, fresh in terms of where most RB's are at this time in their careers, however, RB's age quickly, realistically, he won't be around for anything meaningful with this team. He would get a good score in a trade that could be used to acquire some much needed "star" players that will be around for a long time.

Not to mention, finding a RB of high quality can be had deeper than most positions in the draft. This has been proven time and time again over the last several years now. I'm not against it. Right now, this team is a joke, and we are only going to waste Bell's remaining years if we keep him and it certainly wont benefit us in the long term. To be clear, I really like, Bell. I still feel this way.

I agree with others, nothing should be off the table, It's A LOT harder to go to bat for a team that doesn't return the favor to their fans. Year-N-Year-Out.

Being over-critical as a fan-base, isn't unreasonable at this point. I don't agree with all that was suggested in the OP, I understand it though. Those that are calling it dumb, should probably question why you feel so strongly about that? What is this team showing any of you to think that these aren't reasonable discussions for us as fans right now? I mean, think about it.

11. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. He loves football and will only continue to get better. I love his swagger and will be a great leader for this secondary for many years to come. I also love how he called his fine bullshit for his hit on Mayfield on Monday night. The Jets need more players like Adams not less.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I know I'm speaking out of frustration but here are my two cents. The premise of the post is a double edge sword in my opinion. The building of a winning organization does not start by immediately considering trading our few truly key contributors, but rather BY MAKING OUR DRAFT PICKS COUNT FOR A CHANGE.
    The issue with the Jets has been the massively incompetent set of GMs over the years, selected by an NFL clueless set of owners, without the benefits of having a no shit VP of football operations that could compete against the best. Our GMs were nothing but bookkeepers and lawyers with little first hand knowledge of what makes a good player or how to build a team thru the draft. As a result, we have squandered precious picks over and over with mostly laughable choices. For years we have compensated for this incompetence by either trading in or trading out of picks with little to show and no real long term benefit. If you are not football savvy trades can be just as worthless.
    Trading our best players means more holes to fill and added loss of leadership. WE NEED TO BITE THE BULLET AND GIVE THE GM A COUPLE OF YEARS TO RETOOL THRU THE DRAFT WITHOUT COMPLETELY DISMANTELLING THE CRITICAL NUCLEOUS. I can see Leo a potential trade because I don't think he will be worth the money he will demand, but I would not expect a super high draft choice in return.
    The incredibly frustrating part of the Jets, as pointed out by the many knowledgeable TGG members here over and over, is that for years we have had the same massive holes going into the draft, starting with a putrid OL, a no shit pass rusher, a stud WR, or a CB. We manage to skip mostly thru all of those needs under the premise of best value, yet the teams behinds us have been able to find gem after gem applying the very same premise.
    IMO, WE NEED TO MAKE OUR CURRENT 2020 AND BEYOND PICKS COUNT, AND BE VERY SELECTIVE ABOUT TRADES, PARTICULARLY WITH THOSE VERY FEW PLAYERS GREAT THAT PREVENT THIS ORGANIZATION FROM BECOMING AND EVEN BIGGER LAUGHING STOCK.

13. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Trade 2 of the few players on this team who are worth a damn? No thanks.

Falco21 likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think we'd get a lot for Bell in a trade. He's still really good for now, but he doesn't have many prime years left, and his contract is expensive. Adams would fetch a lot (Minkah Fitztpatrick brought back a first, and Adams is better), but once we go full teardown we won't be able to build it back up before Darnold's rookie deal expires. And doing so would ruin Darnold, at least as a Jet, no matter how good he is. So our options, which we should evaluate at the end of the season, are:

1. Build around Darnold, hope Douglas drafts better than Mac, and hope Gase and Darnold work out after all.
    2. Build around Darnold, hope Douglas drafts better than Mac, fire Gase, and find a (hopefully) better coach.
    3. Don't go full out rebuild but draft a new QB and trade Darnold. If we do that, Gase should probably go as well.
    4. Tear the whole thing down. Trade everyone who will fetch a return, including Darnold, and Tank for Trevor.

Option 1 is the most likely outcome, followed by 2, 3, and 4.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the eagles

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Chip Kelly traded McCoy not the regime that built the championship team.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

False.

Kelly decimated that team.

He got rid of LeSean McCoy, Nick Foles, Evan Mathis, Jeremy Maclin, and DeSean Jackson.

What occurred next?

He was fired after going 6-9.

Enter Roseman who had to rebuild the entire roster scoring heavily in the draft with Wentz, Vaitai, and Mills. He also snagged Seumalo and Smallwood. Then our boy Joe Douglas came in and they signed Torrey Smith, Corey Graham, Tim Jernigan, and Alshon Jeffery.

Kelly thought he was doing the right thing by getting rid of key pieces on their roster and it led to a horrible season and his firing.

18. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

So I am not advocating for a total teardown like the dolphins. My thoughts are that this offensive line needs a total rehaul. Defensive line has some pieces, but needs to be upgraded. By the time Adams gets his first big contract, where will Darnold be?

That is where most of the future draft picks should go, on the offense. Chris Herndon is a keeper. Bell could be too if our line was better, but it seems we are not there yet. Douglas saw that and signed Kalil.

So yes our drafts have been beyond poor. And I believe Douglas will be a better evaluator of talent. But most if not all of our resources should be put into the offense, to see if Sam is truly a franchise QB.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

even with all the injuries our defense looks pretty stout. we need a CB and makybe a legit edge rusher at OLB but our D is good already. offense needs more attention. we need a starting WR. enunwa can't be conuted on. crowder is more of a WR3 slot guy. and then we just have robby. we also need to overhaul the o-line which won't be that bad if we draft well. it's a great draft for OTs. we can get a new C and LT in the draft. use edoga to play RT and be pretty set. then in 2021 we can replace winters in the draft and resign osemele. I expect our draft to be LT 1st round, CB 2nd round, C 3rd round, WR 4th round.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Getting rid of either Adams or Bell would be a step backwards, in my opinion.

Bell was a HUGE signing for this team and the future of Darnold.

Douglas has his work cut out for him, that's for sure, but with a good draft and some free agent signings, he could fix the issues we have.

Here's a look at some free agents going into 2020. Obviously many of these will re-sign, but there will definitely be good options available.

Wide Receivers

Michael Thomas
    Tyreek Hill
    Amari Cooper
    A.J. Green

Offensive Line

Bryan Bulaga
    Andrew Whitworth
    George Fant
    Anthony Castonzo
    Joe Staley
    Brandon Scherff